2009 - 2014 F-150

4.4L diesel cometh: 2010 (pics and article)

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Cheaper to put a Roush Charger on my 5.4 3v & it's numbers would trump that oil burner!...........
And then the owner of the diesel spends 500 on a tuner and can roast you again.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by joshmac4.6
330/420 I expect to see the numbers get closer to 500 as it's release comes closer. The new DMAX has a reverse head design, and is rated 310/520, it will be in the 1500's, I have a great article if anyone wants some info and pics on it let me know.
Yes, I would like to read the article (not that I have any doubts, or that I am questioning you... I'm just bored and need something to read ).

Old 04-14-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally Posted by Super FX4
I'm first in line for the new diesel
Umm, look at my past posts some time ago... you are STILL behind me!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 AM
It's about time!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:29 AM
wonder what a few mods will do to this engine?

Old 04-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Suspended
Is it me or does it not look like a powerstroke? Nothing mentions it being a turbo diesel, which could be why the numbers are kinda low. Or im wrong. I dunno.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:31 PM
IF its true based on wide spread speculation that

a) Fords new 4.4L diesel has 90ft/lbs less tq than the GM 4.5L and

b) The much disccused 5.4L only gets a bump of 10hp and TBD tq, then

Ford should clean slate the whole works or just call it a day. How sad. I mean for the avg joe lunchpail the eccobosost might turn out to be a great option, but for those that tow with a F150?!

The only way I see this not being the case is if the 09 5.4L has much higher # than 90% of us suspect and the #s on the diesel are based on THOSE higher 5.4L figures. How depressing a day to wear thr Ford Blue. Prove me wrong Ford, Prove me wrong Please.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:12 PM
"But for those who tow?!"

You're getting 4 new engines - the new 5.4, 6.2, ecoboost, and diesel. I don't care what engine is in it. I would prefer to haul and tow with the F-150 before the Turdra or GM.

As for the Ecoboost...

Customers who tow and haul – and have long turned to more expensive diesel powertrains for their superior towing capabilities – can find the engine performance they need from an EcoBoost powertrain.

Compared with the current cost of diesel and hybrid technologies, customers in North America can expect to recoup their initial investment in a 4-cylinder EcoBoost engine through fuel savings in approximately 30 months. A diesel in North America will take an average of seven and one-half years, while the cost of a hybrid will take nearly 12 years to recoup – given equivalent miles driven per year and fuel costs,” he said.
http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.ph..._articleid=634

Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by alomar
Is it me or does it not look like a powerstroke? Nothing mentions it being a turbo diesel, which could be why the numbers are kinda low. Or im wrong. I dunno.
You can see the turbo(s?) in the picture.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
IF its true based on wide spread speculation that

a) Fords new 4.4L diesel has 90ft/lbs less tq than the GM 4.5L and

b) The much disccused 5.4L only gets a bump of 10hp and TBD tq, then

Ford should clean slate the whole works or just call it a day. How sad. I mean for the avg joe lunchpail the eccobosost might turn out to be a great option, but for those that tow with a F150?!

The only way I see this not being the case is if the 09 5.4L has much higher # than 90% of us suspect and the #s on the diesel are based on THOSE higher 5.4L figures. How depressing a day to wear thr Ford Blue. Prove me wrong Ford, Prove me wrong Please.
Those that are desperate for higher numbers are not using it as a tow vehicle, they want something fast. The current 150 tows great and even with this motor and just the new tranny will make it even better. If you need to tow more than the f150 tows well then you should move up to a 3/4 ton because this truck will pull all you should with a 1/2 ton. It sounds to me like you would be much better suited with the competition, so feel free to jump sides we won't complain.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by alomar
Its not a powerstroke, its developed off the lion diesel used in the rover. It is a turbo diesel however, the reason the numbers are kinda low is probably because its a good ways away from launch and they don't want the real #'s out yet. They did the same thing with the 6.4 if I remember correctly.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
By the time this diesel comes to market I'll bet diesel will be $5.00+ a gallon.....for the average workin stiff joe who ownes a F-150 like me, I'll pass & stick with my reliable gasser! It can tow anything I need just fine, thank you!.............

Old 04-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by birddog_61
Those that are desperate for higher numbers are not using it as a tow vehicle, they want something fast. The current 150 tows great and even with this motor and just the new tranny will make it even better. If you need to tow more than the f150 tows well then you should move up to a 3/4 ton because this truck will pull all you should with a 1/2 ton. It sounds to me like you would be much better suited with the competition, so feel free to jump sides we won't complain.
BS. I tow I know what the 5.4L can and can't do. There is loyalty and blind loyalty. I don't race, I just want to have more pulling power. So you don't knwo what I want do you?

Old 04-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Originally Posted by Power Kid
BS. I tow I know what the 5.4L can and can't do. There is loyalty and blind loyalty. I don't race, I just want to have more pulling power. So you don't knwo what I want do you?
What do you need more pulling power for? I know for a fact you can pull 7-8000 pounds safely, what more do you want from a half ton truck? If you want more "pulling" power than go to a 3/4 ton and stop bitching. I don't know if I am the only one that is fed up with the last 3 months of you bitching about something you have no idea about or not. Guess what, you don't know what any of the #'s will be so why bitch about it until you know, just because you feel like bitching thats why and its ridiculous. After the #'s come out if you still don't like them then ok bitch about it, but doing it now is just stupid. Its like bitching about getting stopped at a red light tomorrow on the way to work, there is no point because you don't know if its going to happen or not.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:54 AM
I posted this in another thread, but it seems relivant here as well.

Originally Posted by Tornadom
I hope the diesel option in all of the half-ton trucks is geared more towards economy, and maintains similar towing capability to the gas engine counterparts.

If these 'baby diesels' are making 500+ lb/ft they will be on par with what the Duramax LB7 had when it debuted (520) or the last model of the 7.3L Powerstoke (525). This is all fine and dandy, but there are so many other areas of a truck that will need to be upgraded to handle this extra torque. The F150 is the only half-ton available with a rear axle that should be up to the task (assuming they use the 10.5" axle from the 7-lug edition), and I know the frame technology has been improved even further with the 2009+ F150s. The IFS may need some tweaking in order to handle the load... although Chevy can simply pull the 9.25" IFS unit from its 2500hd and 3500hd trucks and put it in place of the current 8.25" unit. If all of these upgrades need to be made in order to handle that torque and beef up the trucks, we are going to end up with 3/4 ton trucks that have been re-skinned to look like the 1/2 ton models.

This is why I feel that the diesels should be geared more towards economy in the 1/2 ton trucks, with torque in the 350-400 lb/ft range. This is still ample torque to tow as well as the gasoline V-8's currently in place, but should be mild enough to achieve in the neighborhood of 18-20mpg. My Dad had an old Chevy half-ton with the 6.2L diesel, and he consistantly saw 27mpg in the truck, with 30mpg on occasion. It may not be much of a threat for today's diesels in terms of power, torque or towing, but it could hold its own against any other small block equiped 1/2 ton of its day. This is sort of the hope I have for the up and coming 1/2 ton diesels. Make them good on fuel, and about the same as the gassers for capability. There will always be 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups with big diesels if you need to get the job done.

Quick Reply: 4.4L diesel cometh: 2010 (pics and article)