2009 - 2014 F-150

Excited about Ecoboost!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 02:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Excited about Ecoboost!

I am getting pretty excited about the ecoboost. More so than I am about the diesel or about the possibility of the Boss/Hurricane. Here are some of the advantages as compared to the current engines and possible future engines:
  1. More power and torque across a wider RPM band than the 5.4.
  2. 20-30% better mileage than the 4.6. (That's roughly 25mpg in an F150 people)
  3. Getting an extra 50-100hp from a turbocharged engine requires only minor modifications and is usually easy and inexpensive to do, whilst a naturally aspirated engine is lucky to see 15-30hp from simple bolt-ons and tuning.
  4. Less weight even than the 4.6, making for a better balanced and better handling truck!
  5. The Diesel will likely be a very expensive option, and a lot of us don't want to deal with the extra expense and inconvenience of having to use diesel fuel.
  6. The Hurricane/Boss would likely get very poor fuel economy as compared to the ecoboost. It would also likely be very heavy in comparison, and it should be an easy matter to modify the ecoboost to exceed its predicted level of performance.

I know that there are those who feel like horsepower doesn't count unless it comes from a naturally aspirated V8, but to me that represents really old thinking. The ecoboost engine appears to be delivering everything that we have asked for, and then some, and I for one can't wait!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:17 AM
"Ford’s 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, for example, can deliver upwards of 340-plus lb.-ft. of torque across a wide engine range – 2,000 to 5,000 rpm versus 270 to 310 lb.-ft of torque for a conventional naturally aspirated 4.6-liter V-8 over the same speed range. At the same time, this V-6 gives customers an approximate 2 mpg improvement and emits up to 15 percent fewer CO2 emissions to the environment. "

A 2mpg increase is not very exciting! I believe they are comparing it with the Explorer 4.6 - V8. I don't think we're going to get great MPG increases in our heavy F-150's!

Here is the article from Ford where I got that info from:
http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.ph..._articleid=634

Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by SteveVFX4
"Ford’s 3.5-liter EcoBoost V-6, for example, can deliver upwards of 340-plus lb.-ft. of torque across a wide engine range – 2,000 to 5,000 rpm versus 270 to 310 lb.-ft of torque for a conventional naturally aspirated 4.6-liter V-8 over the same speed range. At the same time, this V-6 gives customers an approximate 2 mpg improvement and emits up to 15 percent fewer CO2 emissions to the environment. "

A 2mpg increase is not very exciting! I believe they are comparing it with the Explorer 4.6 - V8. I don't think we're going to get great MPG increases in our heavy F-150's!

Here is the article from Ford where I got that info from:
http://www.blueovalnews.com/index.ph..._articleid=634
Not to mention, as HP goes up the right foot gets heavier. Any mileage increases will be lost through more aggressive driving.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:52 AM
A worse case 2mpg increase over the 4.6 with better than 5.4 power in a much lighter package, what's to complain about. Yes, your mileage will get worse if you keep your foot in it. Duh... My point is, if this were a V8 offering the exact same performance, you guys would be jumping up and down all over the place.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by OffRoad99
A worse case 2mpg increase over the 4.6 with better than 5.4 power in a much lighter package, what's to complain about. Yes, your mileage will get worse if you keep your foot in it. Duh... My point is, if this were a V8 offering the exact same performance, you guys would be jumping up and down all over the place.
My point is you can't give somebody 50-60 more HP and then say that they'll get 25 MPG. In the real world the two just don't go together.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 AM

I am getting pretty excited about the ecoboost. More so than I am about the diesel or about the possibility of the Boss/Hurricane. Here are some of the advantages as compared to the current engines and possible future engines:
  1. More power and torque across a wider RPM band than the 5.4.
  2. 20-30% better mileage than the 4.6. (That's roughly 25mpg in an F150 people)
  3. Getting an extra 50-100hp from a turbocharged engine requires only minor modifications and is usually easy and inexpensive to do, whilst a naturally aspirated engine is lucky to see 15-30hp from simple bolt-ons and tuning.
  4. Less weight even than the 4.6, making for a better balanced and better handling truck!
  5. The Diesel will likely be a very expensive option, and a lot of us don't want to deal with the extra expense and inconvenience of having to use diesel fuel.
  6. The Hurricane/Boss would likely get very poor fuel economy as compared to the ecoboost. It would also likely be very heavy in comparison, and it should be an easy matter to modify the ecoboost to exceed its predicted level of performance.

I know that there are those who feel like horsepower doesn't count unless it comes from a naturally aspirated V8, but to me that represents really old thinking. The ecoboost engine appears to be delivering everything that we have asked for, and then some, and I for one can't wait!
I too am interested to see what this ecoboost has to offer. I am disipointed they did not apply this to a small V-8 for those who want lots of hp. I actually think a ecoboost 5.4 would put out better numbers than the boss/hurricane with considerably better gas milage. and that article from for gives mixed numbers as for as mpg's gained. in some parts of the article it claims 20 to 30% gains in mpgs. then is claims a 2 mpg gain in another. I am not sure what we will see but I imagine a 20% gain will not be hard to acheave with that engine being only a v-6 and having the torque being spread across a wider range. the only thing that concerns me is how well will these engines stand up. I always heard that a turbo charged engine never lasts as long as a non turbo engine. as the turbo is harder on the engine components. we will have to wait to see. but this Ecoboost dose sound vary promising.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally Posted by jasonkola
I too am interested to see what this ecoboost has to offer. I am disipointed they did not apply this to a small V-8 for those who want lots of hp. I actually think a ecoboost 5.4 would put out better numbers than the boss/hurricane with considerably better gas milage. and that article from for gives mixed numbers as for as mpg's gained. in some parts of the article it claims 20 to 30% gains in mpgs. then is claims a 2 mpg gain in another. I am not sure what we will see but I imagine a 20% gain will not be hard to acheave with that engine being only a v-6 and having the torque being spread across a wider range. the only thing that concerns me is how well will these engines stand up. I always heard that a turbo charged engine never lasts as long as a non turbo engine. as the turbo is harder on the engine components. we will have to wait to see. but this Ecoboost dose sound vary promising.
The durability issue is where the direct injection comes into play. By spraying the combustion chamber directly with raw fuel, it has a significant cooling effect, thus sparing the engine high heat that is usually associated with a turbo. This also allows for A LOT of boost, for those who want to hop things up a bit. By the way, an ecoboost v8 would have been a monster, easily equivalent to the 5.4 in the GT500. A turbo charged engine will make considerably more power than a supercharged engine with the same amount of boost, and get better mileage to boot.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:23 PM
The durability issue is where the direct injection comes into play. By spraying the combustion chamber directly with raw fuel, it has a significant cooling effect, thus sparing the engine high heat that is usually associated with a turbo. This also allows for A LOT of boost, for those who want to hop things up a bit. By the way, an ecoboost v8 would have been a monster, easily equivalent to the 5.4 in the GT500. A turbo charged engine will make considerably more power than a supercharged engine with the same amount of boost, and get better mileage to boot.
well I am not sure what the numbers would be but if a turbo 5.4 would be too much then at least a turbo 4.6. I myself like the idea of a V6 producing power similar to the 5.4. but there are many who want the bigger hp engines. I myself if given a choice between a 340 HP 3.5 or a 425 4.6 with only a 2 mpg gain I think I would choose the 4.6. but if the difference was more like 5 mpg. it would make the decision much harder.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Good point. Thanks for putting it into perspective.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:26 PM
2-1-2008

Ford's EcoBoost Engine Is A Marketer's First

DEARBORN, MI (AP) - Soon after Jim Farley became Ford Motor Co.’s marketing chief after a 17-year career at Toyota, he took a spin in a subcompact with Ford’s new direct-injection, turbocharged engine.

“ I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face,” Farley said. “I’ve never driven a Toyota like that, ever. The torque out of that kind of displacement - in this case a 4-cylinder - was shocking.”

[snip]

Link: http://www.chiefengineer.org/content...ntent/3279.htm

Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 PM
in the MKT Concept the 3.5L EcoBoost engine made 415 hp and 400 tq

that is a lot but i think they probably used premium and a different tune but i think it was to show that the engine has potential

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/14/d...and-bedazzled/

also look here:http://www.ford.com/doc/ir_20080116a...onf_slides.pdf
on pages 41-43 it describes the EcoBoost 3.5L

look at the chart, the 3.5L EcoBoost makes 350 tq before 2000 rpm

the 4.6L makes 320 tq after 4000 rpm

so unless Ford is lying out of their ***, this is amazing, it's not new technology but it is a new way of using it

i would like to see how a Mustang with the 3.5L EcoBoost would do

Last edited by MrSquirrel; 02-01-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The topic is ECOBOOST... if you want to discuss it, feel free....

...If not, don't post.

-RP-

Old 02-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I don't understand why they call it "ecoboost"... why don't they just call it turbocharged...?

Old 02-02-2008, 01:19 PM
I wonder how the ecoboost v6 and the diesel v6 (presumably also turbo) will compare? If fuel economy and power numbers are close, I would probably prefer gas, especially if it is a less expensive engine option. Either way, it will be nice to have the option. I can't wait to test drive all of them, 5.4 and or 6.2 included!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I don't understand why they call it "ecoboost"... why don't they just call it turbocharged...?
Probably has something to do with the eco system and benefits to the environment of a cleaner engine that still makes the same power of the v8's

Quick Reply: Excited about Ecoboost!