2004 - 2008 F-150

P0345 p0349 camshaft position sensor bank 2 help

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bimmerod
@F150Torqued

UPDATE 06-04-18

I pulled the oil pan off to see what's going on in the bottom end.

Here are the pictures of what I found. Please let me know what I'm looking at here.

Found this in my Oil Pan - What did this fall off ???

A little bit of metal in my pickup.

Not the cleanest engine around.

Thoughts ?

Bimmerod
Did you see the Ford Tech video on U tube about this issue you are having? Looks like you will need to pull and rebuild.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by RUSS04
Did you see the Ford Tech video on U tube about this issue you are having? Looks like you will need to pull and rebuild.
Yes, I watched the video.

While a rebuild may be ideal I did not think it would be necessary on an engine with 162k. Like I said above I have another F150 with a 4.6L that has 269k on it and runs like a champ.

I was able to insert new thrust washers without any obstacle and no longer have any crank "walk".

I cannot understand what else could be causing a drop in oil pressure at idle ?

Bimmerod

Old 06-22-2018, 10:55 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I cannot understand what else could be causing a drop in oil pressure at idle ?
Worn bearings. Try using a 15w40 diesel motor oil.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Originally Posted by glc
Worn bearings. Try using a 15w40 diesel motor oil.
Well, I have tried everything else, got nothing to lose at this point.

Oh, btw, I drove it around today after clearing the codes and now I'm getting a P0012 code.....lol

This engine is complete garbage!!!

It seems like after it's hot and you come to a stop the idle drops to low to maintain proper oil pressure. It then rattles and tries to stall until you rev it a little and then oil pressure comes up and everything goes back to normal.

Added my own NEW thread on this since we are off the P0345 topic now - P0012 & P0022 Thread

Bimmerod

Last edited by Bimmerod; 06-23-2018 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Added new thread link
Old 09-23-2018, 02:23 AM
hello f150 torqued.
I read your answers to the case of "Clos", very clear the explanation, and obviously you are a genius in the subject. I would like to tell you about my case that I have not yet been able to solve, if you could help me.
My case is very similar to "Clos" only my codes are from bank 1 (p0340 and p0344). Always in the startup, p0340 always appears (pending); and at the second start, p0340 is confirmed and p0344 is marked pending, which is later also confirmed. My truck feels good, it doesn’t shake and either makes noise.
What I have done: I checked the electrical circuit of the sensor position of the Bank 1 camnshaft, change it. They follow the same codes.
I’ll do several things you mentioned to “clos”, but I have one question: for alternator and vct connectors test (disconnected them), is it necessary to manage several "driven cycles", if my codes p0340 and p0344 appear only when starting? The vct test is necessary with the engine cool(because i know of vct start when engine is hot )?
Apart, another question: I've heard that check wiring and cranckshaft position sensor, and check the starter circuit including the same starter, is that true?
Thanks

Last edited by jmadlp; 09-23-2018 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 09-24-2018, 10:25 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jmadlp
I’ll do several things you mentioned to “clos”, but I have one question: for alternator and vct connectors test (disconnected them), is it necessary to manage several "driven cycles", if my codes p0340 and p0344 appear only when starting? The vct test is necessary with the engine cool(because i know of vct start when engine is hot )?
Apart, another question: I've heard that check wiring and cranckshaft position sensor, and check the starter circuit including the same starter, is that true?
Thanks
@jmadlp thanks for the kind words. This genius thing makes me nervous though. But I experienced it all and analyzed it for many miles and many months before doing my complete timing job. And tearing one down and putting it back together (successfully) certainly helps understand how it works. During the process, I got hyper interested in the OBDII thing using Torque Pro. Sounds like you have some scanner capability. If it is Torque Pro, I can provide some more helpful info.

A 'drive cycle' involves; startup from Key OFF position; Putting shifter into gear; and moving some distance (IDK exactly how far, but testing on my vehicle seems to indicate at least 200 to 300 feet). Certainly this would be the case for the PCM to 'reset' a code for a corrected condition. Many codes (both pending and hard) will be reset if the condition does not occur for two or three drive cycles. With 'pending' codes, this happens without the driver ever knowing it.

I understand your codes are 'popping up' on startup. Do you mean they will come up 'pending', then appear hard on next startup without a drive cycle? (I can't swear all require a drive cycle). But to get the best handle on diagnostic results, I would recommend each test involve a short drive cycle to improve diagnostic certainty.

Engine temperature (cool / hot) does not effect the PCM's logic regarding 'calling' for cam retard. Retard request will occur above 800 RPM and 25% engine load even if engine is stone cold. IT IS HOWEVER important to consider the effect that engine temp has on oil viscosity. One must include this factor in considering the effect of ANY test of the vvt system.

As for unplugging vct solenoid, keep in mind (> 800 RPM _WITHOUT_ load being > 25% should drive phasers to full advance position because PCM is not activating vct solenoids and oil pressure skyrockets with ^ RPM). If phaser internal locking pin is functioning properly, when RPM comes back down to idle, phasers SHOULD be at base timing (zero retard) and locked. Then you unplug VCT solenoid, you should get NO retard on next drive cycles - (though you will have a vct circuit DTC). The P0340 or P0344 should not pop up and idle should not be rough ---- IF VCT solenoids are not sticking partially open. ---- Just a lot of stuff that CAN go wrong that have to be considered!

I do not believe crankshaft position sensor could EVER be responsible for your two codes. As for starter circuit, I doubt it is the cause if the engine starts up promptly and promptly without dragging. If so, try cleaning grounds and starter power connections.

You did not mention mileage or year model or engine. Just keep in mind, with steel chains and plastic guides - 100% of the 5.4L engines will need a timing job at sometime in their life. I'm not saying that makes them bad. It is just a fact for any engine using steel chains, especially real long ones (122 links).

Old 09-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Originally Posted by F150Torqued
@jmadlp thanks for the kind words. This genius thing makes me nervous though. But I experienced it all and analyzed it for many miles and many months before doing my complete timing job. And tearing one down and putting it back together (successfully) certainly helps understand how it works. During the process, I got hyper interested in the OBDII thing using Torque Pro. Sounds like you have some scanner capability. If it is Torque Pro, I can provide some more helpful info.

A 'drive cycle' involves; startup from Key OFF position; Putting shifter into gear; and moving some distance (IDK exactly how far, but testing on my vehicle seems to indicate at least 200 to 300 feet). Certainly this would be the case for the PCM to 'reset' a code for a corrected condition. Many codes (both pending and hard) will be reset if the condition does not occur for two or three drive cycles. With 'pending' codes, this happens without the driver ever knowing it.

I understand your codes are 'popping up' on startup. Do you mean they will come up 'pending', then appear hard on next startup without a drive cycle? (I can't swear all require a drive cycle). But to get the best handle on diagnostic results, I would recommend each test involve a short drive cycle to improve diagnostic certainty.

Engine temperature (cool / hot) does not effect the PCM's logic regarding 'calling' for cam retard. Retard request will occur above 800 RPM and 25% engine load even if engine is stone cold. IT IS HOWEVER important to consider the effect that engine temp has on oil viscosity. One must include this factor in considering the effect of ANY test of the vvt system.

As for unplugging vct solenoid, keep in mind (> 800 RPM _WITHOUT_ load being > 25% should drive phasers to full advance position because PCM is not activating vct solenoids and oil pressure skyrockets with ^ RPM). If phaser internal locking pin is functioning properly, when RPM comes back down to idle, phasers SHOULD be at base timing (zero retard) and locked. Then you unplug VCT solenoid, you should get NO retard on next drive cycles - (though you will have a vct circuit DTC). The P0340 or P0344 should not pop up and idle should not be rough ---- IF VCT solenoids are not sticking partially open. ---- Just a lot of stuff that CAN go wrong that have to be considered!

I do not believe crankshaft position sensor could EVER be responsible for your two codes. As for starter circuit, I doubt it is the cause if the engine starts up promptly and promptly without dragging. If so, try cleaning grounds and starter power connections.

You did not mention mileage or year model or engine. Just keep in mind, with steel chains and plastic guides - 100% of the 5.4L engines will need a timing job at sometime in their life. I'm not saying that makes them bad. It is just a fact for any engine using steel chains, especially real long ones (122 links).
Thank you very much for your support, friend f150 torque

My truck is 2007 fx4, 5.4 engine. Now I have 120,500 miles. But I changed 3/4 engine (heads, block, timing kid) 7000 miles ago. The detail is that that 3/4 of the engine was used but when checking it it looked in perfect condition. And the vct solenoids also changed them 7000 miles ago, but I bought them new ones.

I have a Wifi inCarDoc Scanner.

I brought the truck until about 2 months ago, working perfectly well,
until one day start the code p0340, sporadically. I remember that at that time, one day the alternator stopped working. It marked the battery symbol on the board; and in fact, to return home that day, I almost completely discharged the battery. They changed the alternator but for a remanufactured. The battery symbol stopped appearing

It continue sporadically marking p0340, and now p0344, for a week, more frequently. And as I still had difficulties to start, I had to put a new battery. The battery symbol was gone

Then, I start to fix about the codes. First exchanged the camshaft position sensors. The codes stopped appearing.

They were like this for a week. Afterwards, these codes returned but already in a constant way. Now since the startup the p0340 (pending); but ... without feeling any problem, until this day

Checked all the circuit, all ok. And change the sensor of camshaft position bank 1.

I did the test that you mentioned to disconnect the cable that goes from the alternator to the battery; and they continued to appreciate the codes.

Answering your question ... the codes p0340 and p0344 appear since the starup, even if I don’t drive the truck, and even if the key doesn’t begin at off. Altough p0344 appears from the second startup onwards

Anyway, I just did what you suggested about completing the cycle; also to explain better what I have.
Thus, doing 3 driving cycles, the codes appear in the Scanner in the following way:
1rst cycle: delete codes, key off, start, code p0340 appears (as pending), handling approx. 1 km; Then I turn off the engine.
2nd cycle: key in off, start, p0340 appears now as confirmed and p0344 as pending, driving and before concluding 1 km appears p0344 as confirmed, term of driving approx 1km, do not change
3th cycle. It does not change anything anymore.

Also, I did the test with the two disconnected vct that you suggested to "Clos", and the following happens:
(When I disconnected those, the engine seems a little rough)
Note: I have to erase codes before startup, because my scan only permit it with engine off.
First cycle: startup; at idle, I disconnected the 2 vct; I take the indicator to 800-900 rpm. See in my sacan p0010, p0020, p0340 appear as slopes. Drive it, and during operation, p0344 was added.
Second cycle: I start and the 4 codes appear as confirmed.

According to what you have explained (and if I did this test well), I see that I have a problem in bank 1 phaser, right? In the pin that secures the phaser in NO RETARD position, right? Even if it does not make noise? Or maybe it's also bend one of the fingers? How do you see, friend?
Or is it necessary to use another scanner as the pro torque? To complete the diagnosis before opening caps?

Last edited by jmadlp; 09-25-2018 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-26-2018, 10:51 AM
Exclamation

^^^^^^^^
A very well written report on very careful, well done and orderly performed diagnostics sequence.

You have performed a very valuable test that benefits my understanding of these codes more than you could imagine. I have done an enormous amount of work developing an extensive database of extended PIDs for our specific engine. But without having P0340 / P0344 codes on my truck right now (thank God), I have NO WAY to perform the test you have done. It has provided me valuable additional knowledge about how those codes are registered - and what they might mean.

a.) Faulty alternator (or replacing with improper aftermarket one), low battery, or dragging starter - poor starter connections OR any of that series of possible causes _WILL NOT EFFECT_ only one bank. The CPS sensors (which produce the 340/344 codes)share a common signal supply circuit. Since you are _consistently_ seeing the codes on bank 1 - I focus on components specific to that bank.

b.) I am somewhat surprised (as with the codes appearing without a drive cycle) that the 340 / 344 wil appear at all with CPS VCT unplugged. Since the PCM knows the VCT circuit is OPEN - seems logical it would know that PCM cannot Retard CAMS find or reliably 'SEE' the phaser fingers pass the CPS sensor!!! The PCM maintains a flag (VCTENA) 'VCT ENABLE' that indicates all conditions are satisfied for performing camshaft retard. Unplugging VCTs definitely knocks that flag down - and the PCM will NOT even attempt RETARD (and thus will not produce over-retarded or over-advanced DTCs).

c.) The best part of the "unplug VCT CPS" test is to see if it eliminates a rough idle. With them unplugged - the VCTs "SHOULD" be 'closed' and routing 100% available oil flow and pressure into advance chambers of the phaser --- and the locking pin (if it captures phaser at base) should hold cams at ZERO retard. That is the optimum position for smooth idle - IF BOTH SIDES ARE ADVANCED & SYNCRONIZED.

d.) I believe you have correctly concluded that the Bank 1 phaser may have a slightly bent finger - or the clock spring / internal locking pin is failing to return the phaser base position and hold it. Most likely the locking pin because oil pressure at > 800-900 rpm - with VCT unplugged - should definately send the phaser to full advance. By removing the Valve Cover, the clearance between phaser fingers and the CPS sensor can be inspected / measured with a feeler gauge. These can get bent in shippment with rough handling. (IDK what clearance should be - but as long as it doesn't 'TOUCH', I'd say closer = better).

e.) The condition causing the code COULD be momentary (only at startup). The phaser may function normally after startup. I know of NO WAY to specifically test locking pin OR verify its integrity - other than replace the Phaser. This raises the question - "WERE THEY OEM OR AFTERMARKET". ???
Review this video.

f.) Not knowing details of the timing job, Chain being OFF by one link on the Phaser end WILL also cause this code and the engine will run somewhat OK. But that is actually pretty hard mistake to make with the double colored links. --- And impossible to verify without opening it up, or monitoring CAMERR signals via OBDII. I looked up 'inCarDoc' and it appears it's PRO version 'might allow' inputing custom PIDs with formulas (IDK). If so, or if you have access to Torque Pro - I have worked out ALL the OBDII pids and formulas for monitoring everything on the variable valve timing system. I have posted all the PIDs - and a downloadable file that can be imported into Torque Pro here: https://www.f150forum.com/f4/final-r...4/#post5133357

If timing chains are off, it will be reflected in CAM ERROR (difference between 'requested' retard and 'actual' cam position), AND by a significant difference in the VCT Duty Cycle the PCM must send to the VCTs trying to establish the desired retard.

I hope something here will help you my friend.

Last edited by F150Torqued; 09-26-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Incorrectly referred to VCT's as CPS on several occasions. "Dementia kicked in"
Old 09-26-2018, 10:06 PM
f150 torqued:

thank you for continuing to advise me. And it satisfies me that you say it’s productive the way to inform you my case. It's the least I can do to thank you for your help

Just to understand perfectly, I have some doubts about what you have just written, before deciding to open lids or buy other diagnostic tools:

In part b), you wrote "I am somewhat surprised that the 340/344 wil appear at all with unplugged CPS".
Understanding that CPS means: camshaft sensor position. I see that maybe you wanted to refer to unplug the VCT solenoids, right?
Because I performed the test by disconnecting the VCT solenoids, as you had written. So that he would throw me the codes p0010 and p0020. Or I did the test badly? Should I have done the test by discounting the CPS? Or is it another test?
And in part c) I also see that you wrote unplug CPS, you also refer to unplug vct solenoids, right?

By the way, in case i had needed to try to disconnect the CPS, this information may be useful: once I disconnected the CPS bank 1, do two driving cycles, and only the code p0340 was confirmed (malfunction in CPS circuit bank1) . P0344 does not appear

When I mounted the 3/4 of used engine, the phasers were Ford originals.

Thank you

Last edited by jmadlp; 09-26-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:34 PM
YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. YOUR DOUBTS ABOUT WHAT I WROTE IS FULLY JUSTIFIED. MY APPOLOGIES. REVIEWING posts - I am not at all sure where I started 'incorrectly' thinking Cam Position sensors - but was referring to VCT Solenoids. Clearly you did the test correctly as I was suggesting disconnecting VCT solenoids - in order to remove any possibility of PCM retard command, thus forcing 100% of available oil flow and pressure to be routed into Phaser advance chambers.

And your doing the test correctly further clears up the reason the 340/344 continued to appear - and this further confirms our ultimate diagnosis. Since you confirm the Phasers are OEM FORD, hopefullly you have a case where a phaser finger was bent or damaged by rough handling in shipment or such.

I will EDIT my prior post in an effort to not continue misleading other readers. Thanks for promptly pointing my error out.

Old 09-26-2018, 11:13 PM
Just trying to 'redeem' myself LOL Another FORDMAKEULOCO video that might shed some light on this problem.

Old 09-27-2018, 01:23 AM
f150 torqued
Again, thank you very much, friend. In what can help you, and everyone in this forum, i’m to order. I will update what happened with my case, hoping I can serve everyone here.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:12 AM
Looking forward to your final result

f150 torqued
Again, thank you very much, friend. In what can help you, and everyone in this forum, i’m to order. I will update what happened with my case, hoping I can serve everyone here.
Please do follow up with the conclusion of your case. It is a difficult symptom to diagnose accurately. It is my belief that widely published DTC description of P034x codes fall woefully short of covering many of the (more common) mechanical causes of these codes, and lead many to chase electrical 'rabbit trails'. This thread covers those mechanical causes and your diagnostic procedures were well performed and documented. Your report will be much appreciated by many.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by F150Torqued
Please do follow up with the conclusion of your case. It is a difficult symptom to diagnose accurately. It is my belief that widely published DTC description of P034x codes fall woefully short of covering many of the (more common) mechanical causes of these codes, and lead many to chase electrical 'rabbit trails'. This thread covers those mechanical causes and your diagnostic procedures were well performed and documented. Your report will be much appreciated by many.
Hi F 150 torqued. I have good news, and thanks for your advice. Before removing lids, I checked for the hole where the oil is being pumped in, and observed one of the fingers of the broken gear. For this, first I had to make several light starts to see one by one in that hole. I changed the gear, and you're done: zero codes.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:25 PM

I checked for the hole where the oil is being pumped in, and observed one of the fingers of the broken gear. For this, first I had to make several light starts to see one by one in that hole. I changed the gear, and you're done: zero codes.
This IS very good news. I would not have thought you could determine that much inspecting the bank 1 Phaser through the Oil fill hole. Cheers for being creative. And thank you for reporting back on our success. Just knowing we have helped a fellow Ford owner is what we get our satisfaction from.

Quick Reply: P0345 p0349 camshaft position sensor bank 2 help