2004 - 2008 F-150

Idle speed vs cam phasers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 02:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Idle speed vs cam phasers?

So perhaps I'm thinking too much into this but if low oil psi at idle is what creates phaser rattle wouldn't raising the idle speed fix the issue as well? If I raise the rpm by 200 rpm my noise disappears because of the increased oil psi. If you have a tune would this be a viable option as opposed to replacing the oil pump?

I'm have a lock out kit and tune for the truck but was curious about this.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:41 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Sure. Heavier oil can help with this too but don't go too thick.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:52 PM
Already running 10w30 in all the vehicles out here. Gets too hot in the summer (100+)

Truck has 150k on it, just not looking to tear into it just yet

Old 02-07-2018, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5w30 works all year long in NJ

Old 02-08-2018, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by random155
5w30 works all year long in NJ
We get just a little hotter out here than nj. Lots of motors in the valley are ok about with it but I ask a lot more than most from our vehicles. Going ahead with the lockouts still but wondered if raising the rpm was a valid idea.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
@varoom varoom

Might help for a short while. BUT -I think you are failing to see the forest because of all those damn trees obscuring your view. This may even explain the plan to use lockouts.

A huge percentage of phaser jobs are done primarily to address the noise (which the lockouts will definitely stop).

However - also - 99 percent of phaser jobs include replacing chains AND tensioners ALSO - (which lockouts have no affect on fixing or preventing their repeated failure).

The chains on the 5.4 are VERY LONG, and in 175 to 200 thousand miles, they wear (stretch) to the point the tensioners can no longer absorb the slack. That is not a failure. It's normal wear and tear and not unreasonable service life on any vehicle equipped with steel timing chains. Especially 122 link long chains, so two or three 'thousandths' wear - on each end of each link winds up being multiplied several times (250, 300, 400 thousandths). That extra length (on the pulling side of the chain, - Tensioner Arms are on the trailing side of the chains) - has the _effect_ of 'retarding' cams by a few degrees. That effects aspiration AND power. And that effect would be present even if the engine were originally equipped with lockouts. When the tensioners can no longer take all the slack out effectively, chains flop around and break plastic guides. That ALSO would not be cured by lockouts.

Bottom line, if new chains, guides, tensioners were installed - in a large portion of the cases the noise would be cured even with original phasers. But for the amount of work they become part of the timing job. If you run 175 - 200 k miles with lockouts, you will be there again anyway - just perhaps noise free until the guides break and chain starts rattling.

Just food for thought.

Old 02-08-2018, 05:27 PM
Fair enough, still debating on the entire timing set. The lock outs where primarily due to the replacements failing as well.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a whole new timing "kit" and put a mellings oil pump in while you hve the front end apart. Oil pressure and timing problem solved. Thats my plan for the spring, when it gets warmer.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:39 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by vroom_vroom
Fair enough, still debating on the entire timing set. The lock outs where primarily due to the replacements failing as well.
I certainly understand. It's almost a circular argument, but so often the phaser's aren't the initial "SOURCE" of the problem (should it be defined as a 'failure'). If cam bearings are ok, roller/followers aren't scored or loose roller bearings, crankshaft thrust bearings are ok (< ~ .015" crankshaft end play), reasonable consistent compression, and follow @random155 's plan - you should have another 100-150k good miles to go whether you use lockouts OR phasers. Those things should be checked out as part of any major repair (such as a timing job)anyway.

I'd stay with the phasers for all the advantages the bring to the engines operation.

Quick Reply: Idle speed vs cam phasers?