2004 - 2008 F-150

High mileage preventative maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
High mileage preventative maintenance

Wondering if I'm missing any know issues I should jump on with this truck. Has 150k on it but runs good and I got it for 2k so it's pretty much the dedicated camping truck.

04 screw 2wd 5.4
So far I have replaced:
Oil
Coolant
Oil filter housing&gasket
Rancho shocks
Sway bar links & bushings
New trail D.C. Trail country's
New rotors and pads
Brake fluid
Power steering fluid
Battery

Still need to order in more scheaffers diff fluid and trans fluid then all the fluids will have been changed.

Attached Thumbnails High mileage preventative maintenance-photo589.jpg  
Old 08-08-2017, 11:48 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Spark plugs and possibly coils. Fuel and air filters.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
FWIW, Krylon makes a black paint for plastic. It comes in gloss, satin or flat. It's great for painting the bed rails black again. No need to take them off, just tape, mask, and spray. The cowl most likely has also turned white. I removed mine and painted it. If the very ends are missing, you can buy them off of fleabay for about 20 bucks. I even painted the wiper arms. I used satin on mine. Looked right when I was done. One can goes a long way and covers quick. Only one coat required. Pretty tough finish as the tailgate rail got lots of junk dragged over it.

FWIW, mine was sitting down in the front and it looks like yours is too. I replaced the springs and struts along with the sway bar bushings. I used the Monroe Lifetime units. The spring rate is higher than factory. It made the truck sit level but it was a little firmer ride. I liked it. I thought the truck handled a lot better.

Mine did not have a rear sway bar. The 2014 I have didn't either. Best money I ever spent on the 2014 was a Hellwig Sway Bar. Completely changed how the truck handles wet and dry conditions. Might consider one if there isn't one on your truck.
2004 F150 Supercrew 4.6

Old 08-08-2017, 11:49 PM
Fuel filter and the damn plugs. Ugh. Still not sure if I want to have that party or pay someone for the plugs.

Not a bad idea on the paint. Will have to give that a shot, makes sense about the springs seems like the weight shifts a lot on the body when you take off from a stop.

Last edited by vroom_vroom; 08-08-2017 at 11:53 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure you will find a lot on the plug and coils. Certainly need to be done at 100k if not before. Watch a bunch of youtubes and buy the extraction tools just in case. I went with aftermarket coils and love them. The job is a nail biter to not drop a lot of spark plug debris into the head, but being careful pays off. Plan at least a day to work on it where you add some penetrant and allow it to work for a few hours per plug.

In your quest to understand the front struts with or without new coil springs, did you find out if we should get new springs. I'm at 115k on a 2007 and thinking I'm going to swap out the struts and springs before winter. I see there is a choice at the store that adds about $50 per strut to get a new spring. Anyone know the pro's or con's on this?

Old 09-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
What about the fuel injectors? Are they still the original ones?

- Jack

Old 09-01-2017, 03:15 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Check the ball joints and tie rod ends. If they haven't been replaced, they are probably due.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:17 PM
Rebuilding the brake system and front end this winter along with the plugs. Front springs I'm not worried about. Put ranchos on a few months ago. Not in a hurry to do it again.

Replaced the sway bar links and bushings in the front still get a some light clunk here and there so control arms are next I suppose