2004 - 2008 F-150

Window tint in states where it's illegal

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my truck tinted back in... 2008 I believe and was pulled over for the first time about a year ago. Ended up with a ticket and had to pay a fine.

But I have 5% on the fronts and over the factory on the rears and back. Also have 35% done on the windshield.

Forgive the old old pics. But these were taken about a few months after I had it put on.

It's great for driving into the sun or when there is snow out. I still wear sunglasses so its not like it is too dark. At night it can be more difficult, but I use my mirrors and backup camera. Those pics were taken mid day with overcast.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanks12
I got my truck tinted back in... 2008 I believe and was pulled over for the first time about a year ago. Ended up with a ticket and had to pay a fine.

But I have 5% on the fronts and over the factory on the rears and back. Also have 35% done on the windshield.

Forgive the old old pics. But these were taken about a few months after I had it put on.

It's great for driving into the sun or when there is snow out. I still wear sunglasses so its not like it is too dark. At night it can be more difficult, but I use my mirrors and backup camera. Those pics were taken mid day with overcast.
That's insanely dark! However, it doesn't look awesome. I think I *should* be able to get away with 50% front and 35% rear.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you're doing 50% front, do it yourself. Its not going to worth it to pay someone else, just to take it off and go darker in a week.

35% is as light as I would go, and it's dark here 6 months out of the year

Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ak_cowboy
If you're doing 50% front, do it yourself. Its not going to worth it to pay someone else, just to take it off and go darker in a week.

Yup I have 35% and it's fine. I live in mass. Also have had 35%.
Just ordered a new kit today though.
Doing 30% sides and 10% over factory. My kids say the light is still coming threw. I don't want to go to dark. Been there don't that!!

Old 12-09-2015, 11:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Just an observation; in Arizona it is illegal to apply tint to your windshield below the AS-1 line (unless you have a medical waiver). I imagine other States have similar laws.

My concern, when I see a windshield that is fully tinted is how an insurance company would view this if your vehicle was in an accident. I suspect all insurance companies would be justified in refusing liability or collision coverage if it were felt that the tint somehow contributed to the accident. The application of tint could become a very expensive modification in that case.

Old 12-10-2015, 07:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Shanks12

I forgot about you having the windshield done, damn that still seems crazy hahah, but looks awesome. I thought 5% fronts was pushing it a long time ago, now I believe it will be my standard for truck tint.

Originally Posted by ak_cowboy

x2. 35% is still easy to see through. If you want the 50%, trying it yourself and seeing the darkness of it may warrant you to prefer 35%, in which case paying a shop to do so if you feel it's out of your hands, will be worth while.

Originally Posted by JackandJanet
Just an observation; in Arizona it is illegal to apply tint to your windshield below the AS-1 line (unless you have a medical waiver). I imagine other States have similar laws.

My concern, when I see a windshield that is fully tinted is how an insurance company would view this if your vehicle was in an accident. I suspect all insurance companies would be justified in refusing liability or collision coverage if it were felt that the tint somehow contributed to the accident. The application of tint could become a very expensive modification in that case.
That is one of the reasons I never had a windshield done. Another reason as to why I stopped trying to tint tail lights and such myself. Any little thing to twist it around can happen.

Old 12-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
That is one of the reasons I never had a windshield done. Another reason as to why I stopped trying to tint tail lights and such myself. Any little thing to twist it around can happen.
When I was rearended the chick tried to blame my tinted taillights, cop said that if my 6000lb truck could stop, her 3000lb neon should have stopped.

nonetheless, I added extra running/brake lights into the new bumper, just to prevent that from happening again.

Quick Reply: Window tint in states where it's illegal