2004 - 2008 F-150

A/C system replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C system replacement

Hello, my A/C compressor went out in my wife's 2005 Expedition (I know it's not an F150 but it's close and I'm already on this forum). Anyways, got quoted $1,600 to fix it... not likely. Just need to know if I can replace everything on my own or if it's better left to the professionals. I know I have to replace more than just the compressor since it sends shrapnel through the system when the compressor goes out like mine has. If it is something that can be tackled by a home mechanic, what are all the pieces I need to replace?

Old 07-22-2015, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by JunkyardKustoms
Hello, my A/C compressor went out in my wife's 2005 Expedition (I know it's not an F150 but it's close and I'm already on this forum). Anyways, got quoted $1,600 to fix it... not likely. Just need to know if I can replace everything on my own or if it's better left to the professionals. I know I have to replace more than just the compressor since it sends shrapnel through the system when the compressor goes out like mine has. If it is something that can be tackled by a home mechanic, what are all the pieces I need to replace?
So what's wrong with your wife A/C? Compressor clutch not engage? If that's true it could be simple as fix the leak, evacuate and pump down and refill you're done.

Old 07-22-2015, 07:03 PM
It had been making a funny noise for a while. Like a horn sound almost. I once day a video clip of someone's making the same noise and everyone said it was a bearing in the compressor. I know it was the compressor because as soon as I would hit the A/C button to turn it off, it would stop. Also, sometimes it would start when I started idling and stop as soon as I have it any gas. Anyways, it had been doing this for a while and finally while visiting family in AZ for fourth of July it stopped blowing cold air. I took it in to get recharged hoping that was all, since it had been less cold lately anyways. I got a call saying that I wouldn't be charged for the Freon because the compressor was dead.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a similar issue with my 2011 gmc terrain. Few months back stopped blowing cold air, took it to the dealer, needed to have the ac compressor and temperature blend door actuator replaced. Was about 800 out the door, wife complained that a 4 yr old car shouldn't have this fail and dealer replaced for 300 after they talked to their district manager. Fast forward to a few days ago, ac stopped working again. Brought to dealer, they said they need to replace the ac condensor for 500. I was pissed, dealer wouldn't budge on price this time so I called gmc customer care and put in a complaint. Gmc says they will call me with resolution, hopefully they will pick up some of this tab. Told them that this is my first and possibly last gm, and in 100 degree heat with 2 little kids this is unacceptable. I asked if this was typical for a gm and they said no, then I said I have a 10 yr old ford that has been blowing cold air from day one without even a recharge in 10 yrs.

Sucks to have a 4 yr old car that needed to have every major component of the ac system replaced. Oh yeah, reverse camera broke and I replaced that myself. I don't think I'd buy gm again, unless they cut me a break on these repairs and have some half way descent customer service.

Anyway, 1600 for the compressor seems steep, you check other places? The compressor itself should be around a 300 part, labor would be a few hours so possibly another 300 labor. I'd say 600-800 range. 1600? That doesn't add up, especially if the labor rate is 80/hour or so.

Last edited by Hawkz28; 07-22-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:10 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I suspect the orifice tube would catch any debris from the compressor. You will need a vacuum pump if you do the work yourself, along with a gauge set. The rest is just possibly new seals, and making sure the system has the proper amount of oil in it. I'm sure there are youtube videos on how to do it. The last one I replaced was a while back on a Chrysler product so I'm now expert on your truck, but I don't think it's that big of a job to tackle if you like working on your vehicles.

Old 07-22-2015, 09:21 PM
$1600 bucks is way to much, you can do it yourself plus all the equipment to do it for less than $1000.
My 97-BMW 528 A/C compressor broke, I bought a brand new Nippondenso and dryer for $310, 30 LBS R134a refrigerant for $125, HVAC service vacuum pump for about $100, some A/C oil and dye and A/C gauges for $50. Total cost about $700, takes about 6 hours for being a noob.

You can do it just starting reading and watching Youtube how to do it.

Old 07-23-2015, 01:11 PM
You can buy a case of 12 cans of R134a from Sam's club for about $48. About 1/3 the cost from an auto parts store or even Walmart buying it by the can. My truck leaks a can or two every year. As long as it works, I'm just replacing the refrigerant.

Old 07-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Ok, so if I decide to do it myself, exactly what components must be replaced? Obviously the compressor, but what else?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Hawk, sorry to hear about the gm having issues. But glad to hear your f150 hasn't had any.

However, I've read lots of complaints about the f150 a/c system. When mine was under warranty, I had just about every componant of the a/c system replaced due to various issues. I haven't had a problem since then, though.

Sorry this doesn't help with the OPs questions though.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:07 PM
A/c

Could be that
]
the clutch .Mine lost the bearings and took out the coil inside

Old 07-28-2015, 11:12 PM
Remove the orifice tube and make sure its clean. In the older systems, we always replaced the reservoir/dryer but I don't think they need to be replaced when the system is opened like the old days. Watch some youtube videos and you will see everything you need most likely.

Old 07-29-2015, 01:53 AM
A/C system replacement

Check to see that it's not the clutch.My A/C clutch went south because the of bearings

Old 07-29-2015, 03:32 PM

I too can be added to the list of ac issues on my 08 f150. Had been working great, blowing ice cold. Started the teuck, turned on the ac and it sounded like a loud high pitched horn. Pretty sure the bearing went out. Gonna have it diagnosed tomorrow. I'm sure it won't be cheap.

Also happened on the hottest day of the year right before I was going to replace my whole front suspension. That'll now have to wait.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
You just jinxed yourself like 2 posts up!!! Holy cow that's weird.

Mine recently went out. I'll rebuild it at some point and replace stuff while I'm in there. Been watching the videos trying to learn.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
You just jinxed yourself like 2 posts up!!! Holy cow that's weird.

Mine recently went out. I'll rebuild it at some point and replace stuff while I'm in there. Been watching the videos trying to learn.
Haha. I thought about my post right when it started making the noise! I don't mind doing other work, but I'm just going to pay up and let someone else do the ac stuff.

Quick Reply: A/C system replacement