2004 - 2008 F-150

Gryphon on Higher Mileage Truck

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Gryphon on Higher Mileage Truck

Hey guys, quick question for y'all. Please refrain from telling me to use the search function, yada yada yada. Already did all that. Have looked numerous times on about everyone ford forum there was and couldn't find any good answers. Most were about the Juice or older model Edge tuners.
My question is, I just purchased a Gryphon tuner from an individual on here (Thanks Riggity Tom! ) Had a buddy who actually blew up his transmission at 70,000 miles and he blamed his edge. He was not sure on which model edge he had. My 04 f-150 has close to 117,000 miles on it and I am wondering if I am being stupid to put the Gryphon on my truck with such high miles? The Gryphon only has canned tunes now, but will probably get custom ones once I get a CAI and possibly other mods. My truck is pretty stock now which is why I will be sticking with canned tunes. Any personal experience, or personal opinions are appreciated. Please don't hate on the product though, just give me your opinion if it will tear up my transmission on my truck or not. Thanks guys, always love picking y'alls brains!

Old 04-10-2015, 06:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
As long as your truck engine and tranny are healthy, the tune will not hurt it. Cranking up the shift pressure and driving it hard can do some harm. Don't do the CAI until you can do a custom tune for it. That can do harm, especially on a 2004.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:57 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I know you said that you don't want to be told to use the search function, but are you aware we have a forum dedicated to programmers and tunes?

Old 04-10-2015, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I know you said that you don't want to be told to use the search function, but are you aware we have a forum dedicated to programmers and tunes?
Yeah I do, and I know most people would rather I post this question there, but I know the newer ecoboosts and just newer trucks in general would be able to handle the tuner better from what I've researched. Also, I wanted the most amount of people to see it as possible, which would be in this section. I apologize if this annoyed you.
EDIT: And I wanted opinions from people who have experience with this with the most similar truck to mine as possible. Thanks for the input though, I'll keep it in mind next time I post
Originally Posted by Bluejay
As long as your truck engine and tranny are healthy, the tune will not hurt it. Cranking up the shift pressure and driving it hard can do some harm. Don't do the CAI until you can do a custom tune for it. That can do harm, especially on a 2004.
Okay, so you think as long as I would keep with the canned tunes and just adjust for tire size and leave shift points and stuff alone I would be alright? And that's what I've heard about the CAI, thanks for reminding me though!

Old 04-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Global Moderator &

I have no reason to believe a tune will harm your truck. I put 135,000 on my 2005, about half with a canned tune and about half with an email tune written for it. It was still running strong when I sold it.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:23 PM
glc
The only reason I made that suggestion is you will probably get better info in there. I was far from being annoyed.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:06 AM
Hey BlueJay, why do you say "That can do harm, especially on a 2004"?? I have a (2004 f150 STX 4X4 4.6 V8 4R75W trans).. So what do you know about the 04's

Trending Topics

Old 04-11-2015, 10:27 AM
glc
He was talking about the 5.4 3 valve engine. It has something to do with the MAF relocation, it will run excessively lean without a custom tune for the particular CAI and MAF.. I believe the 4.6 is not affected.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:42 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by glc
He was talking about the 5.4 3 valve engine. It has something to do with the MAF relocation, it will run excessively lean without a custom tune for the particular CAI and MAF.. I believe the 4.6 is not affected.
Correct, I was assuming 5.4. But keep in mind that a CAI does almost nothing for performance unless you have a tune specially for it. It just looks cleaner and makes more noise. The stock intake is cold air and delivers all the air the engine can handle.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:47 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Guess I'll jump in here since I have an 05 truck with a Gryphon and custom tuning. I've had the tuning almost since the day I bought the truck, used, with about 44,000 miles on the clock. I couldn't stand the way it shifted down when I was passing someone on the highway.

The truck now has almost 92,000 miles on it. I don't drive it as a "daily driver", but use to to pull our travel trailer and when I need to haul big/heavy items like bags of concrete or lumber. I do not use my truck as a race vehicle, trying to impress other drivers with how quickly I can get from one stop light to the next.

I've not had ANY unexpected mechanical troubles with the truck at all - period! I've had to replace the front brakes, and am now on my second set of tires, but that's it. Tuning corrected the miserable shift delay while passing and it improved my fuel mileage.

So, I'll say you should find tuning beneficial, as long as you respect your truck for what it is - a truck. In the meantime, before you get custom tunes, use the Nr 2 "Tow Tune". It's actually a very good all-around tune that will correct the shift pattern and it should give you better fuel economy as a bonus.

- Jack

Old 04-12-2015, 10:14 AM
OP,
I also have a Gryphon, put on my '06 4.6 shortly after I bought it (at around 45K miles). Now has around 117K. It gets driven fairly regularly, and 4WD gets used at least every month. I haul loads of "stuff" all the time (mulch, firewood, etc) every couple of weeks, pull utility trailer with various stuff (2-4K lbs). Routine fluid changes and other normal maintenance. No racing. No mud bogging foolishness. Why would there be any issue with the tuner? It will probably extend the life of the transmission, if anything.

Old 04-13-2015, 06:32 AM
I like my Edge tuner for the extra gauges I don't have,as well as changing settings for tires size and making the trans shift fast into high gear , which saves on gas, about 2 mpg

Quick Reply: Gryphon on Higher Mileage Truck