Lifting My 08 F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big B's FX4,
I am in the Marines. Still a boot. LOL

Old 03-17-2014, 04:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I base that off another member who bought the kit, then put on a 1.5" level and couldn't drive the truck due to the angles. When he measured the drop bracket it came to 5", + 1" on the strut to get her at 6", + 1.5" level had him running 7.5" of lift with terrible angles. So I can only assume that's what it is. 4" I'm not sure what they use but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a 5" drop bracket and 4" spacer or 4" bilstein.

That's one of the reasons it keeps me away from RCX I wish to run 8" or more if possible.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the information guys! It helped out a lot. Done talked me into it. I will be getting a 6In after all. And probably a Fabtech at that. Little more pricey, but seems to be more worth it in the end. After all, It's an 08 with 120XXX miles. So truck has a while left on the frame. Not so much for the crappy 5.4. But i plan on keeping the truck a while. Even through replacing whatever goes.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nemisus
Thanks for the info fine_style,

So RCX's 4" kits use a 5" drop down... suppose the CV angle would be pretty flat this way.. Perhaps I'll piece together a 5" lift using a 1" spacer onto the 4" bilstein strut? I'm not interested in a 6" lift anymore.
If you don't want a 6" I would buy the 4" and install. See what all your angles are and height is & go from there to get an extra inch or two. You would still run bilstein just hold off on the spacer.

Maybe bilstein can be adjusted for 5" and you won't need a spacer?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Arcticcatd
Thanks for all the information guys! It helped out a lot. Done talked me into it. I will be getting a 6In after all. And probably a Fabtech at that. Little more pricey, but seems to be more worth it in the end. After all, It's an 08 with 120XXX miles. So truck has a while left on the frame. Not so much for the crappy 5.4. But i plan on keeping the truck a while. Even through replacing whatever goes.
That's the spirit, Ill ride the wheels off of mine too, you can also look into BDS, keeps front track width the same. Or pro comp for the price...

Your welcome!

Old 03-17-2014, 04:36 PM
Are all lifts gonna have a strut spacer? Or is that the point of a drop down spindle? I'd prefer to not have my C.V. axles at some screwed angle. I know most say will retain factory ride quality and all factory dimensions. But some stuff on the internet just isn't true.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:09 PM
Big B's FX4,
I am in the Marines. Still a boot. LOL
Semper Fi Brother! Just remember, you'll always be boot to somebody! Over 16 years myself and I'm still a boot to plenty of Marines out there.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:15 PM
Are all lifts gonna have a strut spacer? Or is that the point of a drop down spindle? I'd prefer to not have my C.V. axles at some screwed angle. I know most say will retain factory ride quality and all factory dimensions. But some stuff on the internet just isn't true.
There's lifts out there that replace the entire front strut. They're a lot more but worth it if you plan on doing any serious off roading. You could always get a spacer lift for now and upgrade your strut later. The 6 in lifts come with the longer arms to keep you within factory specs so you shouldn’t be too worried about that. You just won't get the full flex you would if you had a complete strut replacement. Your looking at around $2500 for a lift that incorporates a full strut. Don’t forget to ask about military discount. Most places seem to offer 5-10% and/or free shipping. You've earned it. Just FYI.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:14 AM

The (currently for sale) Fabtech lift uses the stock coil springs with a longer shock, so no spacers. I want to say I remember some folks saying Fabtech used spacers at some point, maybe for the 09+s, but the older Fabtechs for 04-08 and the current ones for 04-08 don't use a spacer. You can look at the components that come with it and/or read the installation instructions in order to clearly understand and visualize it. That's why I'm going to get the Fabtech. I want(ed) the coilovers, and would have gotten them if no basic lift had anything other than spacers because I hate those damn things, but I'm 2WD and never offroad, so I have no need for the coilovers.

The angles aren't going to be 100% the same as stock, but if the kit is a 6" lift with a full 6" drop down, the angles should be very close to stock for the CVs, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

Also, Bilstein's 4-6" lifted truck shocks can supposedly be used to replace the spacer in a spacer lift by doing the same exact thing the Fabtech does by still utilizing the stock coil springs. Those are ~$350 I think. So by the time you get those, you might as well have just gotten the Fabtech in the first place because it can be had for less than $1600 shipped with regular discounts, plus any military discounts you can get.

Lastly, thank you for your service Glad to see how many service members are on here.

Last edited by KMAC0694; 03-19-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fine_style150
If you don't want a 6" I would buy the 4" and install. See what all your angles are and height is & go from there to get an extra inch or two. You would still run bilstein just hold off on the spacer.

Maybe bilstein can be adjusted for 5" and you won't need a spacer?
For the difference in price I'd be happier with the 6" kit. Something about the rear blocks that is included in the kit that have my attention. Since that's the only difference seems to right way to go.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by Big B's FX4
Semper Fi Brother! Just remember, you'll always be boot to somebody! Over 16 years myself and I'm still a boot to plenty of Marines out there.
Rah! What is your rank? And Mos? I'm just a little PFC with big dreams Of eventually getting Gunny. Although I don't know if I will pull all 20 years. Depending on what the fleet is like for me and if I really enjoy it. I'm a 35xx. Can't say 3521 Mechanic just yet. One more month and I will be out in the fleet.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by KMAC0694
The (currently for sale) Fabtech lift uses the stock coil springs with a longer shock, so no spacers. I want to say I remember some folks saying Fabtech used spacers at some point, maybe for the 09+s, but the older Fabtechs for 04-08 and the current ones for 04-08 don't use a spacer. You can look at the components that come with it and/or read the installation instructions in order to clearly understand and visualize it. That's why I'm going to get the Fabtech. I want(ed) the coilovers, and would have gotten them if no basic lift had anything other than spacers because I hate those damn things, but I'm 2WD and never offroad, so I have no need for the coilovers.

The angles aren't going to be 100% the same as stock, but if the kit is a 6" lift with a full 6" drop down, the angles should be very close to stock for the CVs, ball joints, tie rod ends, etc.

Also, Bilstein's 4-6" lifted truck shocks can supposedly be used to replace the spacer in a spacer lift by doing the same exact thing the Fabtech does by still utilizing the stock coil springs. Those are ~$350 I think. So by the time you get those, you might as well have just gotten the Fabtech in the first place because it can be had for less than $1600 shipped with regular discounts, plus any military discounts you can get.

Lastly, thank you for your service Glad to see how many service members are on here.
Thanks. I'm only concerned with the angles. I haven't had any problems outta my F150. And Dad bought it for a company truck brand new. So, it has 120xxx on it. Never had any work done on it except for the A\C Vacum thing that changes the positions on it. It keeps going out. Never had ball joints, Or front end work. Even with all the hell we put it through. Towing, getting it stuck in the swamp with a trailer. We've never had anything go wrong. And Id love to keep it that way. CV axles are not cheap. So Angles are my only concern.
Also, Would i have to get a drive shaft spacer? Ive read that some people have had to get them and some not. I was thinking it would be smart to get it cause it will pull the shaft out of the tail of the transfer case a little.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 PM

Thanks. I'm only concerned with the angles. I haven't had any problems outta my F150. And Dad bought it for a company truck brand new. So, it has 120xxx on it. Never had any work done on it except for the A\C Vacum thing that changes the positions on it. It keeps going out. Never had ball joints, Or front end work. Even with all the hell we put it through. Towing, getting it stuck in the swamp with a trailer. We've never had anything go wrong. And Id love to keep it that way. CV axles are not cheap. So Angles are my only concern.
Also, Would i have to get a drive shaft spacer? Ive read that some people have had to get them and some not. I was thinking it would be smart to get it cause it will pull the shaft out of the tail of the transfer case a little.
I'm glad yours has been really good to you! Mine has been good to me from 74k when I bought it to 91k so far after exactly 2 years as of last week. I got ya on the angles. You shouldn't need a driveshaft spacer for 6", but at 8" maybe. Certainly going taller than that it'll need more length. That's a good question though.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Fabtech Basic uses a strut Spacer, just a different type of spacer.. It doesn't install on the top but rather on the bottom of the strut extending the lower portion of the strut.

1 FTS22135 Coil Spacer Kit

If you go to the Fabtech website and download the install instructions there are good pictures to show the spacer.

Years ago Fabtech used an extended strut, but I haven't seen one offered in many years!

Anyway you look at it.. Fatbech uses Strut Spacers just like everyone else.. they just hide theirs on the bottom.

Nemi

Old 03-21-2014, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Nemisus
The Fabtech Basic uses a strut Spacer, just a different type of spacer.. It doesn't install on the top but rather on the bottom of the strut extending the lower portion of the strut.

1 FTS22135 Coil Spacer Kit

If you go to the Fabtech website and download the install instructions there are good pictures to show the spacer.

Years ago Fabtech used an extended strut, but I haven't seen one offered in many years!

Anyway you look at it.. Fatbech uses Strut Spacers just like everyone else.. they just hide theirs on the bottom.

Nemi
Huh, there is not on the ones for the 2WD 04-08, but it looks like there are for the 4x4s for some reason. Guess I'm lucky for once with having a proper set up for my 2WD. But either way, it's a little better because it's reasonably safe(r) to (if you put a leveling kit on as well) have a spacer at the bottom and top versus two on top of each other (which is a big no-no). I wouldn't want to do that either, but I'd much prefer it. It also looks a hell of a lot better than having it visible and at the top. And I wonder if having it jointed versus all one static piece is somehow better or worse.

That's quite interesting that the kits are completely different in that aspect. Good catch, Nemi. I suppose that's what all the arguing about whether it "does or doesn't have a spacer," and when "they stopped using this and started using that" debates come from.

For those that are interested . . . scroll down until you see the coilovers for each.

2WD - http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/files/FT22013i.pdf
4WD - http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/files/FT22135i.pdf

Last edited by KMAC0694; 03-21-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Lifting My 08 F150