I'm out of idea..it's not caplier or warped rotors- HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 03:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm out of idea..it's not caplier or warped rotors- HELP

HELP!

I'm out of idea!

2004 fx4 super crew.

I replaced rotors, and capliers, no playing ball joints ( knuckles and tie rods)

I still feel (not heavy shaking, light-med) vibration by steering when slow down under 30mph to stop and almost at stop it becoming more vibration whole front end.

When I braking it to slow down much faster and it didn't really cause much vibration.

It doesn't feel pulsing when braking, just vibration.

The tire Nitto grappler 295/70/17

So tires are a bit new...it didn't cause vibration after new tires, maybe 1000 miles later, do you think that the tires cause this due to new tires?

WAHHHH HELP me please with any your idea or suggestion

Thanks

Old 03-08-2014, 03:49 PM
How's the alignment? Have you tried to rotating the tires and seeing what happens?

Old 03-08-2014, 03:58 PM
I moved tires around and not sure about alignment.

It didnt pull right or left.. Even when braking too

From stop and go and Any speeds its smoothing

Thanks

Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've had bad tires... not on my truck, but on my other SUV. As time went on the vibration got so bad, that I had to get rid of the tires.

However, I was only able to diagnose this because I have two different sets of rims and brands of tires. Go to find out, I had a separated belt in not just one, but two tires.

I felt it after about 1000 miles, then it progressively got worse... until at 15k, I put in my winter rims and tires, and voila, vibration went away, put the summer tires on, bang, back to vibrating... got rid of 'em at 30k, with okay tread... but I chucked them at my local waste depot.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I've had bad tires... not on my truck, but on my other SUV. As time went on the vibration got so bad, that I had to get rid of the tires.

However, I was only able to diagnose this because I have two different sets of rims and brands of tires. Go to find out, I had a separated belt in not just one, but two tires.

I felt it after about 1000 miles, then it progressively got worse... until at 15k, I put in my winter rims and tires, and voila, vibration went away, put the summer tires on, bang, back to vibrating... got rid of 'em at 30k, with okay tread... but I chucked them at my local waste depot.
X2 on the above, but I'll add a bit. Having "balanced" wheels & tires is not the same as "Road Force Balanced." Sometimes a tire / wheel combo will appear to be almost perfectly balanced by a conventional dynamic balancer or worse yet, an old bubble balancer. Neither are the same as Road Force Balancing. These newer machines can detect defects in a tire that older machines will pass off as perfect.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:11 PM

Hmm.. just thought of another scenario... check to make sure your wheel is properly mounted on.

It is hub centric on these trucks. Make sure there is no corrosion, debris, or the hub deformation is present on the rim.

I've seen where people don't check and wind up having vibration and breaking lugs.

And the sad part, I've witnessed it. Scary seeing a whole rim and tire flying off.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by YOMAN
I moved tires around and not sure about alignment.

It didnt pull right or left.. Even when braking too

From stop and go and Any speeds its smoothing

Thanks
Hmm the only reason I suggested this is my alignment is slightly out, so when it's getting to about 3k miles and I need to rotate the tires it'll start vibrating on deacceleration, once I rotate them it goes away though. But my truck doesn't pull either. It just the tires are barely toed in.

But I'd considered getting the tires road forced balanced like others have suggested.

Old 03-08-2014, 05:25 PM
The tires are fine for approx 1,500-2000 miles on it before vibration started.

Ill have a shop to check the balance but i thought off balnce can be cause vibration at any speeds ?

Remember this only happens when slow down under 30-40 mph when to braking

Few minutes ago - i let my truck rolling till its almost stop- no vibration-

Its totally frusting for me!!!!!

Last edited by YOMAN; 03-08-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:46 PM

I've seen and experienced tires working fine at speeds of 40+... when under that, they shake.

I have a good feeling it is the balancing. Have them Road Forced. Then next in line would be bad tires.

Old 03-08-2014, 08:36 PM
glc
Received 770 Likes on 711 Posts
I'd also consider taking it to a good shop to get the brakes and the front end properly inspected. They may find something that you have overlooked.

Old 03-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Ok now at shop- they said they saw lower ball joints has playing- left is bad and right is going too-

Lucky i have moogs lowers with me!!! They are working on it and they said they have seen this before on other F150-

Ill keep u update after i pick it up later today- finger cross that will solve problem

Thanks!

Old 03-09-2014, 01:12 PM
Hmm I'm feeling the same thing, as well as some vibration at over 70mph sometimes. Guess there's a good probability it's my ball joints then?

What's the cost to rectify?

Old 03-09-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can honestly say the new Moog UCAs and lower ball joints ( pressed in OEM arms ) my truck is butter on the pavement, so smooth. On Trail Grapplers and Rancho struts/shocks. As far as vibration, I too would have suggested road force, and possibly steering assembly. Ball joint replacement isn't a waste on a 2004 either way though.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shootermcgavin
Hmm I'm feeling the same thing, as well as some vibration at over 70mph sometimes. Guess there's a good probability it's my ball joints then?
Be careful not to assume you have the exact same problem. Diagnosing anything accurately over the internet is iffy at best. Let somebody who knows what they're doing look at the whole steering / suspension system.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 PM
UPDATED:

front lower left is SHOT! And front lower right was going too. The guy showed it to me and there's no stiff at all, way too loose!!!

Replaced both and vibration is gone from 40 to 10mph

Thanks
Jake

Quick Reply: I'm out of idea..it's not caplier or warped rotors- HELP