2004 - 2008 F-150

Has anyone swapped out their 2004/2005 front bumper for a 2006-2008?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone swapped out their 2004/2005 front bumper for a 2006-2008?

I found a set of 2006-2008 front and rear bumpers on Craigslist that are brand new and I was wondering if anyone has swapped the front onto an 04/05 because I know the brackets are different. If you have done this please chime in with all the required brackets or other parts that are needed or if anything can be reused from the 04/05. I'm liking the circle fog lights over my rectangular ones

Old 02-22-2014, 03:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was going to on my 2004 but never did. Having had both trucks I know that the mounting brackets, hood bump stops, some support brackets for bumper sturdyness, and a new valance ( curves back more than '04/'05 ) are needed. I believe the hardware is thinner than what '04/'05 had also. After that its just the cost of fogs.

As far as the rear goes, they are not interchanging. The '04/'05 uses a double mounting bolt pattern to the frame each side and the '06/'08 uses 3 on each side. Why they did it us beyond me but it is not a direct swap. Bumper skins might be, but the mounting brackets are not.

I had a diagram of all parts needed for the swap but I no longer have it. Ford dealer is my suggestion for the part numbers, then Tasca is my suggestion for making it happen.

Old 02-22-2014, 08:18 AM
Thanka for the info! Sounds like a hassle and that it would add up to be expensive. Appreciate it!

Old 02-22-2014, 12:23 PM
I've wanted to do this too, but I talk myself out of it every time I add up the cost!

Old 02-22-2014, 09:15 PM

It does add up well. A primed bumper skin aftermarket can cost $200/$300, the brackets, hood bump stops, valance, some say the painted piece below the grill/above bumper needs changed ( I never could confirm this ) and the hardware of nuts and bolts, it may all surpass the price of the primed skin. If the rear bumper skins can be swapped onto the'04/'05 brackets then that will require no hardware.

The perfect time to do this is if you strike a deer.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Flaresides on those years swap back and forth. I have an 04 and an 08 Flareside FX4 and the bumpers are interchangeable between the 2 trucks. Flareside 08 has the same 2 bolts on each side in the rear that hold it all together. JUST FYI.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:12 PM

Fx4-Michael, to further help you out here are some photos I found from my conversion from my chrome bumper to painted bumper to help you get a better visual of what parts keep the bumper on and how they look. If you really want the look and plan to keep your truck awhile I want to encourage you to go for it, you will love the end result if you prefer the round fog look as much as I do. Also if you are swapping to painted bumpers to replace chrome, I will x2 the encouragement as I love these trucks paint matched.

Looks like the one piece I forgot is the long flat looking piece above the two bulk brackets.
Name:  2012-03-23_17-45-10_878.jpg
Views: 5500
Size:  178.8 KB

All the clip-nut things on.
Name:  2012-03-23_17-52-06_216.jpg
Views: 6120
Size:  158.7 KB

Assembled.
Name:  2012-03-23_18-32-42_208.jpg
Views: 11515
Size:  148.1 KB

For kicks, here are some thumbnail shots of the before/after of my swap. As you can see with my grill and paint matching modifications, painted bumpers was a visual requirement for me.

I actually wonder if anyone has made an '04/'05 valance fit an '06/'08 bumper. The Harley Davidson, FX2, and Roush valances are all interchangeable from 2004/2008 so I imagine it is a direct bolt over. Ford just apparently felt that '06/'08 needs more of a wrapped valance maybe? Going to search that now.

Originally Posted by jeffbang62
The Flaresides on those years swap back and forth. I have an 04 and an 08 Flareside FX4 and the bumpers are interchangeable between the 2 trucks. Flareside 08 has the same 2 bolts on each side in the rear that hold it all together. JUST FYI.
Doesn't help this guy but still a good fact to now know. Thanks.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my personal opinion, but anybody with a 2004-2005 truck with the wonderful rectangular fogs that swaps for the 2006+ bumper with the totally useless round fogs should have their head examined.

And as for why they made so many changes at the back bumper (and Class III hitch) at the same time, it was all about cost reduction.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Just my personal opinion, but anybody with a 2004-2005 truck with the wonderful rectangular fogs that swaps for the 2006+ bumper with the totally useless round fogs should have their head examined.
Naturally the wider fogs do have a better out put, they are freaky looking and don't look good lit up. The '06 bumper appeals to the body better, and a set of HIDs lit up the road like my '04s did, without horrible headlamp glare also.

Old 02-23-2014, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Fx4-Michael, to further help you out here are some photos I found from my conversion from my chrome bumper to painted bumper to help you get a better visual of what parts keep the bumper on and how they look. If you really want the look and plan to keep your truck awhile I want to encourage you to go for it, you will love the end result if you prefer the round fog look as much as I do. Also if you are swapping to painted bumpers to replace chrome, I will x2 the encouragement as I love these trucks paint matched.

Looks like the one piece I forgot is the long flat looking piece above the two bulk brackets.

All the clip-nut things on.

Assembled.

For kicks, here are some thumbnail shots of the before/after of my swap. As you can see with my grill and paint matching modifications, painted bumpers was a visual requirement for me.

I actually wonder if anyone has made an '04/'05 valance fit an '06/'08 bumper. The Harley Davidson, FX2, and Roush valances are all interchangeable from 2004/2008 so I imagine it is a direct bolt over. Ford just apparently felt that '06/'08 needs more of a wrapped valance maybe? Going to search that now.

Doesn't help this guy but still a good fact to now know. Thanks.
Darren thank you for the pictures I'm very tempted to do it now. I can get the 4 brackets for $50, fog lights with brackets for $70. Where does that the long piece above the brackets in the picture before you assembled it go?

My Fx4 has the painted bumpers now and they have some rock chips and are starting to rust a little so I was going to bedline them but my dad found the bumpers the other day so I figured I would look into it.

Old 02-24-2014, 12:19 AM
Nevermind I see where that long bracket goes. So do the brackets attach right to the frame or is there another bracket that mounts to those? If those parts are all I need this isnt that expensive. If I have to buy a new valance or other miscellaneous things I'm not sure.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:44 AM

I guess I'm still the only person that prefers the 04/05 bumper. I have an 06 without fog light holes, but would definitely opt for the 04/05 if it wasn't a PITA.

You only need the front one though, no point in swapping the rear out.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Naturally the wider fogs do have a better out put, they are freaky looking and don't look good lit up.
Again, maybe it's just me, but I buy lights for their light output / ability to put light where I need it, not the way they look when they're on. The '04-'05 rectangular lights may not look as good when they're on, but they put a ton more usable light on the ground. And high powered bulbs don't melt the lens / housing either.

Old 02-24-2014, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Fx4-Michael
Darren thank you for the pictures I'm very tempted to do it now. I can get the 4 brackets for $50, fog lights with brackets for $70. Where does that the long piece above the brackets in the picture before you assembled it go?

My Fx4 has the painted bumpers now and they have some rock chips and are starting to rust a little so I was going to bedline them but my dad found the bumpers the other day so I figured I would look into it.
Yes you are on the right track. Brackets pricing will vary depending where you can get them. The only other real catch will be getting the nuts/bolts. You could go to Fastenal and try doing it all on your own with stainless hardware/nuts/washers, or buy the Motorcraft grade material. Only catch is the Motorcraft stuff may cost more, but it will definitely be more precise. Again, the '04/'05 nuts/bolts were thicker than the '06/'08 stuff when I took my 2004's off and compared the '06 stuff. It could be a $200 project in the end after fog lamps, mounting hardware, and attachment hardware.

As for valance, I am sure you can get the '04/'05 on as all FX2 and Harley Davidson are interchangeable. If not, it could be an opportunity to upgrade.

Originally Posted by 2stroked
Again, maybe it's just me, but I buy lights for their light output / ability to put light where I need it, not the way they look when they're on. The '04-'05 rectangular lights may not look as good when they're on, but they put a ton more usable light on the ground. And high powered bulbs don't melt the lens / housing either.
Valid points no doubt, I'm just one of the few that likes the cleaner look.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:41 PM
Yes you are on the right track. Brackets pricing will vary depending where you can get them. The only other real catch will be getting the nuts/bolts. You could go to Fastenal and try doing it all on your own with stainless hardware/nuts/washers, or buy the Motorcraft grade material. Only catch is the Motorcraft stuff may cost more, but it will definitely be more precise. Again, the '04/'05 nuts/bolts were thicker than the '06/'08 stuff when I took my 2004's off and compared the '06 stuff. It could be a $200 project in the end after fog lamps, mounting hardware, and attachment hardware.

As for valance, I am sure you can get the '04/'05 on as all FX2 and Harley Davidson are interchangeable. If not, it could be an opportunity to upgrade.

Valid points no doubt, I'm just one of the few that likes the cleaner look.
Damn the bolts are different also? Ugh this is a headache trying to figure all this out! Ok so with the brackets being different do they bolt to the frame the same way or are there other brackets that bolt between the bumper brackets and the frame? I have yet to remove the bumper so I'm not sure how it all bolts up...

Quick Reply: Has anyone swapped out their 2004/2005 front bumper for a 2006-2008?