2004 - 2008 F-150

Solid Axle Swap, Info?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solid Axle Swap, Info?

Hello everyone, I have been looking into some solid axle swap info for our year model trucks 04-08. Info such as preferred axles to run, setups that work best, preferred differential drop location.. etc. Could anyone point me in that direction or offer insight?

Would like to start possibly getting parts for doing this in future when I retire the truck as my DD, something for me to look forward to that I can mess with now. My truck is a 07 2wd, no I am not selling it and getting a 4wd bc thats not what I want, I dont want a IFS stock lifted 4wd truck I want a solid axle rig. So any help would be great.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Get the checkbook ready, your going to be looking at 12k+ if you use junkyard parts not including labor.

If your gonna do it might as well run 1-ton axles.

And start doing a lot of reading over on pirate4x4, sas is what pretty much everyone does over there, generally not f150s but you'll be able to get a good idea of what you'll need.

Good luck!

Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM
$12k+, where did you get your calculations from? I know a little when it comes to generalization of the swap, the expected costs and what to expect. Maybe that price if I drop my truck off at a 4wheelparts and ask them to do everything. Still then I doubt it would be $12k.

d44 would prob be plenty for what I would want, you can do more with them than ifs and hold up better than ifs as well. A new d44 assembly can be had for $2-3k, transfer case not a lot. Odds and ins, brackets, leafs/coils everything etc etc I would guesstimate total at around $5-7k max in parts, if are mostly new parts close to $7k maybe not even that high. Junk yard parts..please that would be close to $4k tops in parts, seriously. This is not really including labor unless I attempt myself. Which is what I desire. Tear down is simple, construction is not, but it can be done.

Merely looking for advise on who has done it or knows about write ups on it. thanks for your advise though.

Last edited by tman07f150; 02-22-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what kind of spring setup are you gonna run? Coil, leaf? Off road/mud much? that lil d44 wont like bigger tires full of mud. You will need to change the output shaft in the transmission to run a t-case (unless you go divorced) You keeping ABS? or will you stare at that light every time you drive it? You will need to rebuild the Axles before you put them in. Like previously stated, if you are doing one, might as well replace the other with a 3/4 or 1 ton axle. Look up the thread, "Stitches tease" it's a 97' but the premice is the same... As previously stated Keep a pocketbook ready. I was pondering this with my 97 when i still had it, i myself was looking at 10k

Old 02-22-2013, 07:54 PM
Yeah I meant to say, possibly d60 as well. It would all depend on final say so when it comes too that point, if funds dont matter d60 for sure. The d44 would be ok for what I would be doing, but ya know if your doing it might as well go for broke instead of something smaller. Ive read about the f250s front axles matting up with abs in our trucks, Im finding more and more info on other sites as I go. Its something I want to build up to in the up and coming years or so, so Im trying to get down a for sure list of what I def need and not sure about. Ive always wanted to build one, my truck is paid for now with somewhat low miles, something to possibly look forward to.

Last edited by tman07f150; 02-22-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Let's see here's a list of new prices and some used:
-Either change the tailshaft of the transmission and beef it up/get a 4x4 transmission (3-1k+)
-4x4 Transfer Case (600ish)
-Regearing front and rear axles (1200+)
-Custom fabrication of all brackets, paying to have them made, etc. (200 low end of brackets needed)
-Front and rear axle (G2 full assembly 2-3K per axle)
-Lift leafs for the rear (run 600+ a set)
-Lift leafs, coils, or coilovers for the front (the last two require being able to triangulate a 4 link) for the front (600+ for leafs, 150+ coils, 5-800+ coilovers, 4-link is a lot of time and tubing)
-Shocks (150+)
-new wheels (400+)
-new tires (800+)
-metal
-tubing
-alignment
-custom driveshafts (front and rear)
-redesigned steering linkage (crossover, hydro-assist, etc)
The list goes on

There is no kit for this, everything will have to be custom made or adapted. I'd recheck your estimate. Depending on your intended tire size that already raises cost and the need for axles bigger than dana 44s. I'm aware of what ifs can handle and where dana 44's start to see their limit before you start pouring massive cash to beef them up. Your probably going to want to beef up the transmission too as well as go through it, might as well change the fluids in it also, see how the cost builds up easily as that? It'll start out looking cheaper than it'll really be.

As said above look up klitch's, 4.2trimble's, and ogterror's threads. It'll give you a general idea of what you'll be looking at. I'm not trying to rain on your parade here, just give you a more realistic view of it man.

Last edited by pizzaman711; 02-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your help, no your not raining on my parade Your list to me dont add up to the $12k total you said before just pertaining to me using used junkyard parts. Some of the things you mention don't apply. I see what your getting at though. Still $12k, imo is a crazy amount for just a sfa swap that doesn't add up unless I take it to someone and say give me a sfa and bend me over while your at it. The essentials being the most expensive, transfer case, and front axle dont even add up to 25% of the $12k you mentioned being just junkyard parts and thats factoring in a new axle with gears and lockers present.

.. it just sounded like you blurt out a sum first thing in response that sounds good to you without thinking, to kinda make me sound ignorant or foolish to mention such a thought of doing so. Sure sas can be done with $4k worth of parts $8k worth of parts or $20k worth of parts, that wasn't my intentions.. simply seeking info pages on the process.

Last edited by tman07f150; 02-22-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 02-22-2013, 08:43 PM
What things don't apply?

As you can see that list isn't nearly complete, it's easy to see how it can add up to 12k-ish for a complete swap, not factoring in parts that don't apply. That list add's up to nearly 9k for low price end of new/used parts and it doesn't include the stuff I didn't feel like googling prices for. 12k is a safe estimate, yea you might get out for like 7-8k, but wouldn't you rather over budget than budget 4k and then be halfway through the swap and realize you need to come up with another few thousand to finish it?

I didn't blurt out a sum without thinking about it, I put thought into it. I never meant to make you feel foolish/ignorant either, frankly, I love sas's, when I'm bored I get on pirate and just read threw build threads, I was just trying to give you a heads up by saying have your checkbook ready.

But I'll back out of this thread for now, just remember check out klitch, 4.2trimble, and ogterror's threads as well as pirate4x4, they're pretty smart in this department.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
$12K is cheap...even then it won't be drive down the block ready.......

Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM
What does it matter, why does it matter.. Do you have any info on the procedure? $12k is not cheap to swap a solid axle into a vehicle, that is around above average to higher price genius, it all depends on what direction you choose to go that determines what you want for how much. Are you retarded or something? You think $12k is cheap for a solid axle swap and even then its not ready to go down the block ready?.. stupidest thing Ive heard yet, does that factor in a price of keeping the stock rear end or doing the work yourself? Simple stupid stuff like that dont make the price go up above $12k, still you think for $12k into the front alone it still cant drive down the road.. Stupid. Thanks for opinion, theres mine.

Last edited by tman07f150; 02-23-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Found this earlier when I was reading other threads:
Originally Posted by tman07f150
I enjoy your thread, really taking care of your vehicle great to see. I wish I had the funds right now to order everything mine needs, Im a perfectionist when it comes to stuff, I hate having a tire out of balance or the slightest brake shutter.
So your a perfectionist but you wanna take the cheapest route possible to do an sas?

But since we're retarded for trying to help let's here your detail list of parts and costs.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:36 PM
Hahah. Man your so cool, look what you just did that was awesome.

Yeaaa.. weirdo who follows me on here. I am a perfectionist. Who said cheapest route? When did I say that? I don't recall asking for price ranges on doing this or the cheapest route?? I am talking about doing a swap, myself, a project idiot that fits what I want and need out of a "truck" not a rock crawler with d60s new front and rear. Who wants to dump $15k into a truck if they dont have to or need to!! Like keeping a stock 2007 year rear axle with disk brakes and simply regearing and putting in a limited slip/locker instead of getting an old *** d60/14 bolt or 9 inch that needs a complete overhaul on a truck that doesnt need it! Thats my point, you give me an estimate on MY project!!! I dont need a price I have an idea of what it will cost me I dont give 2 ****s about your price estimate your not doing it or paying for it.

I asked for insight on the procedures, or details who has used what. Not how much, never once asked about price. Being a perfectionist has nothing to do with money?? Does it? Last time I checked it didnt. I want my truck to be perfect so instead of spending smart for what I need, Ill just over do it right??.. over pay over do and and just deal with it so I am a perfectionist and not a idiot. Yeah, now get a damn life other than f150online poor guy.

You guesstimate doesnt apply to me, I would like to tackle this type of project on my own in the future. So all you have offered me in this post is a debate on how much I will spend, which you are not me.. you dont know what I want, what I can do, or who can do what or make for me. Do you know that, do you? No you dont, all you know is you "think" hey $12k dude. This thread is now pointless and it is done.

Last edited by tman07f150; 02-23-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Sounds about right to do it up proper ...... you'll need front axle / brakes / suspension / drive shaft / transfer case / U- joints / controls / change in wheel studs / abs considerations / rear shaft mods / misc. mounts and engineering / floor mods likely / and ripping what's not needed out.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:51 PM
I did an sas on my explorer. Not that difficult really, and i've been thinking about doing it to my 05 as well. For our trucks I'd want to run coil overs mainly because I see no reason the stock mounts couldn't be reused (you'd need the adapter thing-a-ma-jig). Then a 3 link kit like this from ruff stuff http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/...g/3LINKKT.html (you supply the dom with this). That would get the axle under the truck. You'd then need to take care of steering. I'd run an older 1/2 ton or bigger box for this. That'd take care of steering. You could add hydro assist or full hydro (easiest i think but laws could be an issue) as well. Next for a 2wd to 4wd conversion i'd run a divorced transfer case that way there would be no change needed for your tranny, you'd just need to build a short little shaft to connect the trans to the case. After that i'd take stock shafts to a driveline shop and have them shorten/lengthen them as needed. For the rear I'd get a new set of leafs, blocks are junk. Even better for the rear would be to link it but a good set of leafs will perform very well. You may have engine x-member issues, but cut the stock junk out and build something better!

Old 02-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Thanks Code, thats the kinda info I was looking for I appreciate it. I was curious about running coils as well, seeing we have top coil buckets already in place and if they could be retained depending on axle selection and width. Also was wondering about running a divorced tcase in order of keeping stock trans, or just getting a used trans/tcase from 4wd donor truck, that way the cab wont have to modded/cut inside for manual stick tcase to stick out of floor just use a 4wd switch from another f150 so its stock form inside. I dont believe the project would be to difficult, it can be done I believe without spending a "fortune".

Do you know of any preferred axles being ran? I have read that select F250 front axles can be used in order to keep the abs.

Last edited by tman07f150; 02-24-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Solid Axle Swap, Info?