2004 - 2008 F-150

IWE Solenoid or something else? Wheel bearing issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IWE Solenoid or something else? Wheel bearing issue

So I was having a grinding on tight turns and figured my wheel bearing was going bad on my drivers side front. I jack the truck up and could move the tire side to side and up and down a little. So I got a new wheel bearing at Napa tonight, pulled the old one, and installed the new one. With the new one on spinning it by hand I can hear the gears inside grinding, with the old one on I can't hear any grinding.

The last time I put it in 4wd it never engaged, I can hear/feel the transfer case engage but the front tires never spun only the rears.

Does this sound like the solenoid is bad? Sound like something else? Ideas? Was planning to replace the solenoid as it's the old style anyway but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-08-2012, 11:08 PM
I'm sorry, but it should be MANDATORY in order to post a message to at least have a current profile so we had a basic idea of what vehicle the op has ie; year, trim pkg, engine size at a minimum !!!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
I read that. I can't really find anything with the same issue. It didn't do it before the wheel bearing swap but does now. Wondering if the gear inside the hub is sticking. Even with the vacuum line pulled it won't lock the hub together.

Originally Posted by sam1947
I'm sorry, but it should be MANDATORY in order to post a message to at least have a current profile so we had a basic idea of what vehicle the op has ie; year, trim pkg, engine size at a minimum !!!
2004, 5.4, 4x4, Lariat.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Replaced the IWE solenoid and the drivers side IWE as it wasn't moving smooth and clogged with dirt and grease. Still grinding, no 4wd, no vacuum at either wheel.

I don't have a vacuum pump and no way to get to the store right now. I pulled the vacuum lines starting at the wheel back as far as I could find spots to pull them apart and had no vacuum. I do have vacuum at the solenoid.

When I pulled the line apart that runs under the truck from the drivers side to the passenger side a bunch of dirt came out of it. I'm guessing my vacuum box is shot/leaking but since I don't have a pump and you need to pull the battery I can't check for vacuum.

I feel this is the last part of the system I haven't been able to check and it must be it. Any ideas?

Old 09-10-2012, 03:41 PM
Without vacuum, the IWE system doesn't work at all. And remember, vacuum releases the IWE's so the hubs spin free. Without vacuum, they try to lock up. So if you replaced the one IWE that was shot - but you still don't have vacuum - you can ruin the new IWE.

If you do some searching in this forum, there were three .pdf files posted up at one point that contained everything you'd ever want to know about how the system works, how to troubleshoot it and how to repair it. I have them someplace if you cannot find them.

Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I think I've seen them. I'm pretty sure I have it narrowed down to one of the lines. When I pulled it apart some dirt came out of it, why or how dirt got in that line I don't know. I replaced one check valve but am probably going to have to replace that line. Just need to get another vehicle so I can get into down to get a vacuum pump. I'm not driving it at all so I don't damage the new hub or IWE.

I pulled the vacuum box out and it was sealed tight. All thats left is a plugged or leaking line.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Do you drive through rivers often or wash your engine bay? Check your IWE Solenoid box behind the battery......I replaced mine 2 years ago and it just went bad on me again, same issue with shifting into 4wd but mine still works just makes a grinding noise at first.

Quick Reply: IWE Solenoid or something else? Wheel bearing issue