2004 - 2008 F-150

Cracked Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 03:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cracked Wheel

Well VA just had their first snow storm last week and being that I am a landscape contractor, we were out plowing. Now onto the problem, in route to my house to pick up some things, I came around a turn way too fast and skidded into a curb. Cracked the rim and bent the lip and somehow dented the tire. I've found a wheel from a truck at a salvage yard but the tire has been flat and basically the whole wheel has been holding the truck up while it sits in half dirt, and asphalt. Would this be a wheel to stay away from since the tire has been flat for a long time?

Old 02-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Is there any visual damage to the junkyard wheel? I wouldn't worry too much about it sitting as long as there's still old rubber on it flat or not. Can only speak for myself though

Old 02-25-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Factory alloys or steelies?

The J/Y wheel you describe is likely fine, I'ld use it. If I had serious question about it, easy to mount just the wheel on a tire balancer and give her a spin watching for run out.

Which wheel on your truck is bent, frt or rear? If front, watch for unusual tire wear. Especially if alloy, they are stiffer in the centers than steel wheels and will transfer greater shock to the suspension depending on how hit. The tire being "dented" is likely just because the lip is bent, it'll take the proper shape on a good wheel. Just inspect it real good inside and out when dismounted.

Last edited by tbear853; 02-26-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 PM
The tire may have an impact break and not be safe anymore. They'll let you know when you go to get it mounted.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the repilies guys. The junkyard wheel is in perfect condition visually. The wheel that is damaged is the front right tire. I have the spare on there currently but hit the card pretty hard while the truck was in 4WD. With the spare tire on it it drives just like normal so I think I'm okay as far as extra damage to the hub's, stearing, and suspension. But only one way to find out for sure.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
One year I was working and it was snowing over top of ice and I was going from wreck to wreck and turned into a parking lot off Rt 60 to go up into the parking lot to see the drivers / cars who had pulled up there after a wreck on 60. As I turned in, the front let go and across the entrance it slid with the wheel cut and hit the left front wheel of my CVPI against a curb bending it. It hit hard enough to bounce off.

I worked their wreck, exchanged info, etc and then I left and felt the wobble in the steering. I put spare on the next day before going to work .... and later got another straight wheel out of the trunk of a turn in with high miles that was parked at the office, just threw my bent wheel (& tire) in it's trunk.

I worried more about allignment and watched it closely, never showed any adverse affects though. That was the 2000 CVPI which was used with 25K when I got it in 2002, it went over 130K and never needed allignment. Sometimes you just get lucky.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by tbear853
One year I was working and it was snowing over top of ice and I was going from wreck to wreck and turned into a parking lot off Rt 60 to go up into the parking lot to see the drivers / cars who had pulled up there after a wreck on 60. As I turned in, the front let go and across the entrance it slid with the wheel cut and hit the left front wheel of my CVPI against a curb bending it. It hit hard enough to bounce off.

I worked their wreck, exchanged info, etc and then I left and felt the wobble in the steering. I put spare on the next day before going to work .... and later got another straight wheel out of the trunk of a turn in with high miles that was parked at the office, just threw my bent wheel (& tire) in it's trunk.

I worried more about allignment and watched it closely, never showed any adverse affects though. That was the 2000 CVPI which was used with 25K when I got it in 2002, it went over 130K and never needed allignment. Sometimes you just get lucky.
Yeah and to think this is the only curb in my neighborhood!!!! But I will be picking up the wheel sometime this week once they pull it off the truck and get the tire put on and an alignment as well. I will try and put up a picture of it soon.

Quick Reply: Cracked Wheel