2004 - 2008 F-150

Noise from under the truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise from under the truck

I just purchased a 2005 XLT 5.4 this weekend and just noticed a noise coming from the underside of the truck this morning. The noise is only when the truck is in drive and I am stopped. As soon as I accelerate or put it into park it goes away. The noise resembles the sound of a diesel engine, thats the only way I know how to describe it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:33 AM
Exhaust issue? maybe with the cat's? They can sometimes sound like a diesel if they are toast

Old 02-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by BL4CK3D0UT
Exhaust issue? maybe with the cat's? They can sometimes sound like a diesel if they are toast
I was thinking that or an exhaust leak but its strange that it only happens when the car is in gear and my foot is on the brake.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 AM
I have developed a similar noise as of late. Turned out ot be the exhaust heatshield rattling. Once I get back stateside I plan on fixing it...

Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 AM
I know one of my cats on my truck is on the verge of needing replacing. When i go through drive thru's, it will sometimes rattle or make funny noises until i put the truck in park.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Buc Off
I have developed a similar noise as of late. Turned out ot be the exhaust heatshield rattling. Once I get back stateside I plan on fixing it...
I've got the same rattle on my 05 bought in Oct. Had the same noise on the 04
Tundra that I traded in on it, and also the same thing on an 06 company 2500
Chevy. Annoying.

Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably the phasers starting to rattle. Is it a ticking sound or a rattling sound? Suprisingly when the phasers start to go you really here it sound like a diesel when your in drive with your foot on the break like in a drive through situation. The sound will radiate down into the engine and seem as if it is coming from under the truck, but I agree the cat's will also make some ticking sounds when there starting to go bad.

Even after my full rebuild I still have a soft ticking sound coming from my drivers side CAT area. I have searched everywhere with my stethascope and I can hear it best at the top of the CAT but the weird part is it will tick tick tick and gradually disapear and then start to get louder again for a couple ticks then quieter again until it disapears and it just repeats this cycle over and over even when I'm in park. I'm starting to think it might being coming from the front pump in the trans since it's repetitive. It could also be something on the drivers side valve train maybe radiating the sounds down through the exhaust but I wouldn't expect it to get quite for a second and then return again then get quite again. It's kinda starting to drive me crazy trying to figure out where it's coming from.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 PM
Would the cam phaser issue make this noise all the time? It is only happening when the truck is in gear. Also, if I let this issue go, would there be permanent damage to the truck?

This sucks if that is the case considering I bought it this past Saturday.

Quick Reply: Noise from under the truck