2004 - 2008 F-150

"Abuse Proofing" IWE?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Abuse Proofing" IWE?

Hey y'all. So first off, I love my truck (and this comes from a former Chevy guy), what I don't love is the IWE system up front. Since I picked her up just about a year ago, the IWE and related systems have been the only thing to give me problems.

First, I replaced a wheel hub weeks after picking up the truck. I began to hear noises up front, so I replaced the solenoid, replacement part included the little plastic "shield". All was good for awhile, then I noticed the grinding noise yet again up front. Before I got to doing anything, the noise disappeared as quick as it came.

Few weeks back, it rained pretty hard up here and I noticed the solenoid I replaced was still getting dripped on somehow causing another problem... replaced the solenoid again.

After driving down the highway one night, my ABS light flipped on. I pulled over, but nothing seemed out of place so I trekked on. By the time I got off the highway, my truck was making a horrible grinding and meshing sound. The hub was hot to the touch and throwing her in 4 wheel wasn't calming it down this time. I brought her in to the mechanics hoping they'd cover it under warranty rather than me buying the parts and fixing it myself, but of course no joy. Caught water in the lines, blew the actuator and smoked the hub, Ford wouldn't honor their warranty either.

Since then, I've heard another noise up front, but this ones different and doesn't disappear when throwing her in 4 wheel. It has gone away though, heard it maybe three times and hopefully I'll never hear it again.

Is there a way to "abuse proof" the system? I don't really abuse this truck at all, mostly just gets driven from home to work and rarely hauls or tows anymore yet it still gives me too many issues. I find it funny (in a pissed off, disappointed kinda way) that the 4wd can be taken down by just a bit of rain water

Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Not a fan either. Wish we could get good old fashioned manual lockers for these.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Think I saw a guy change it out, but he paid over 40k to have it done by a shop. At 40k, I'd have more than one truck lol

Old 09-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Yeah, I know which one you're thinking of. Full front swap.

The easier solution would be to leave the front end in the SuperDuty where it is and just move my ***. ; )

Old 09-25-2011, 12:13 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Only way to "cheaply" do it is simply pull the vac line and plug it and thus leave the IWE permanently engaged just like the Harley AWD does which means front axles and drive shaft always turn. I'm told Chevy and Dodge's newer offerings do this.

Originally Posted by Trail Guide
... etc ... The hub was hot to the touch and throwing her in 4 wheel wasn't calming it down this time. ... etc ...
You didn't drive it on hard surfaced roads with the switch on the dash in 4WD did you?

I've never had a problem yet, I do check my vac hoses and mine has the shielded solinoid. If you do have a probblem, don't flip the switch on the dash .... pull and plug vac lines to solinoid. That way you aren't putting all that wear and stress on the driveline by having the TC in 4WD on not so slick surfaces.

Last edited by tbear853; 09-25-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:02 AM
OP,

How many miles on this truck? You bought it used? Where is "up here"?

There's plenty of info/discussion about the 4x4 sytem on F-150 forums. A good trouble shooting guide is this:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...then-some.html

If you want to make your own repairs, it's not hard and will save you a bundle in labor costs:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...replacing.html

Many of us have "been there" with the solenoid/IWEs. Good news is the fixes are not hard.

As far as "abuse proofing" goes, about all I know you can do is to not submerge the hubs. That goes for axles, etc too, no matter who built the truck.
I had to replace the solenoid and IWEs on my truck shortly after I bought it two years ago and have had no issues since.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:21 AM
Tbear853: No, I didn't have the switch on, my truck has the floor shifter and it definitely wasn't in 4 wheel. The problem I see with leaving the front dif engaged constantly is that as far as I know, you aren't suppose to run in 4 wheel over 55mph, which I do quite often.

60DRB: My truck has just shy of 120k miles on her, and yes used. I live in upstate NY so avoiding wet situations is damn near impossible. I usually fix all the issues myself, but since I had a warranty I tried using it. Either way, it's not the difficulty of the job, it's the fact that the parts cost so damn much. Solenoids alone up here are over $150 for one reason or another, actuators around $190 and a hub runs $330.

All is running well now fellas, I just find it odd that I can't run my truck through water without fearing damage to my 4wd. It's a truck, not a trailer queen

Old 09-25-2011, 03:12 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
The problem I see with leaving the front dif engaged constantly is that as far as I know, you aren't suppose to run in 4 wheel over 55mph, which I do quite often.
We aren't talking about keeping the transfer case engaged, just the IWE's (hubs). You shouldn't be using 4wd on dry pavement anyway. The diff will spin, as will the front driveshaft, but that won't hurt anything except your gas mileage.

Last edited by glc; 09-25-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Gotcha, believe me I don't use 4wd on dry pavement, I only meant that I drive at speeds over 55 quite a bit.

In fact, I think I've actually put it in 4hi (besides when testing the IWE noise) only three times since I bought the truck, including last winter. Is it possible NOT using 4 wheel could cause an issue?

Like I said, all is good now, it just seems like I keep replacing these parts for reasons unknown

Old 09-25-2011, 09:13 PM
glc
Well, I don't own one, and I wouldn't own one. If I'm going to get a 4wd vehicle, it will either be a full time AWD or an old school one with a manual transfer case and hubs.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TrailGuide
In fact, I think I've actually put it in 4hi (besides when testing the IWE noise) only three times since I bought the truck, including last winter. Is it possible NOT using 4 wheel could cause an issue?
It's not a bad idea at all to occasionally take her out into some grass or sand or other lower traction surface and go through the positions. Look in the book, and follow procedure as outlined there. Less chance of "freeze ups".

Also occasionally check condition of vacum hoses at ends ... especially like at the4 IWEs themselves.

If trnsfer case is in 2WD, then there is no problem with having front axle engaged at hubs on hard surface. Like old school manual 4wd without optional lock out hubs (some didn't have them std).
On my '77, when in slick conditions, I leave hubs locked and just shift between 2WD and 4WD HI with floor lever.

Really, most all with the IWE system will never experience a problem, and once you understand it .... the problems will seem much less "problematic".

Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 PM
check all vaccuum lines, my major leaks were on the hard plastic sections including the line behind the battery to the vaccuum canister.
i've replaced all the hard lines with flex rubber lines and have not had any problems since.

also replaced the soliniod, planning on replacing the hubs before winter gets here (denver)

also raised the vent side of the hubs higher and u-bend the ends down with a longer down lead then factory so when going threw higher water or big splash's water does not get sucked in

Last edited by FF301; 09-25-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: added content
Old 10-02-2011, 05:09 PM
Does anyone know why there is a vent tube on the wheel IWE and should there be vacuum there when I checked

Old 10-02-2011, 06:30 PM
glc
Originally Posted by welsh
Does anyone know why there is a vent tube on the wheel IWE and should there be vacuum there when I checked
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...then-some.html

Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can drive over 55mph in 4wd. What you should not do at over 55 is engage or disengage 4wd.

The bad part about having always engaged IWE's is that not only will the front axles turn, but the front driveshaft will also be turning, unlike the 97-03. Not sure if that will cause a problem with the TC over time.

Last edited by kingfish51; 10-02-2011 at 06:46 PM.

Quick Reply: "Abuse Proofing" IWE?