2004 - 2008 F-150

Front end popping, Questions about tie rods and racks...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Front end popping, Questions about tie rods and racks...

So I took a dig into the front end some today, picked it up, wiggled everything I could, ball joints look nice and tight, no slop in the bushings etc... Tie rod ends, if anything seem too tight.

I had the truck on the ground, and had my wife turn the wheel lock to lock while I looked, in park with the e brake set and wheel chocks for safety you know! Anyway, I was able to reproduce the knock / clunk and it appears to be coming from the left side of the rack, but not really the rack, there is the boot on the side that the tie rod goes through, and a knuckle of sorts in the rod. I assume that is the inner tie rod end there. That is what appears to be making the noise...

Is that really the inner tie rod end or what is that part called?

Sorry, I am used to working on a regular worm and roller type steering gear with a pitman arm and drag links.... This whole rack and pinion stuff has me messed up....

Old 03-22-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhost
So I took a dig into the front end some today, picked it up, wiggled everything I could, ball joints look nice and tight, no slop in the bushings etc... Tie rod ends, if anything seem too tight.

I had the truck on the ground, and had my wife turn the wheel lock to lock while I looked, in park with the e brake set and wheel chocks for safety you know! Anyway, I was able to reproduce the knock / clunk and it appears to be coming from the left side of the rack, but not really the rack, there is the boot on the side that the tie rod goes through, and a knuckle of sorts in the rod. I assume that is the inner tie rod end there. That is what appears to be making the noise...

Is that really the inner tie rod end or what is that part called?

Sorry, I am used to working on a regular worm and roller type steering gear with a pitman arm and drag links.... This whole rack and pinion stuff has me messed up....
Yeah, the inner tie rod is covered by that boot. You can rent a special tool from the parts store to do your inner tie rods.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep mine does that too changed the rack upper and lower BJ ,inner and outer tie rods lower steering shaft, wheel bearings,coil overs, IWE, everything I thought would make that noise still no luck! I hope you find it.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by gunrunner150
Yep mine does that too changed the rack upper and lower BJ ,inner and outer tie rods lower steering shaft, wheel bearings,coil overs, IWE, everything I thought would make that noise still no luck! I hope you find it.
Swaybar endlinks?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:39 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Swaybar endlinks?
Thump on the sway bar at various locations with a rubber hammer .....

Old 03-22-2015, 11:58 PM
Yep sway bar links too everything ,also changed out rear shocks checked the leafs u joints front and rear ,trans mount,motor mounts.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:37 AM
steering shaft u-jounts??? I spray mind with teffon lube once a month.

Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM
don't rent tools, advanced auto parts and others will let you used them, just have to pay for them up front. Then return them, you a full refund. Ask at your local auto parts store if they do this. Saves a lot of money!

Old 03-23-2015, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by RevBiker
don't rent tools, advanced auto parts and others will let you used them, just have to pay for them up front. Then return them, you a full refund. Ask at your local auto parts store if they do this. Saves a lot of money!
That's what I was referring to in my post. Didn't specify enough I suppose.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:47 PM
I had my wife and daughter rock the truck side ways as hard as they could. Thats when I heard the popping noise. Without driving you know that way I could get under the truck and hold the sway bar link. I could feel it and see it moving. I bought 2 new Moog links at Advanced Auto for $80.00. Took about 2 hrs to install. Not a bad job. Drives like new and no noise. Thanks to this forum.

Quick Reply: Front end popping, Questions about tie rods and racks...