2004 - 2008 F-150

4x4 Won't Engage

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 Won't Engage

I did search, and found a bunch of stuff, but still never really found an answer.

I went trail riding tonight and went to climb up a sort of steep bank, 2wd wouldn't cut it so I switched to 4wd and the front tires never would spin or do anything. Got it out and switched back and forth from 2wd to 4wd and the light would come on and I could hear the click but it still wouldn't engage, high or low. Rolling about 10mph I could switch to hi and a loud grinding and pop would come from the front end, but still didn't feel like it was engaged. Is my system just screwed up?

Old 03-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Nobody?

Old 03-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It could be with the gears and differential. I know sometimes when I'm in 4x4 the fronts only engage if they have too.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try this post first. Sounds like you have IWE problems.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ore-snows.html

Then go to this post:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...replacing.html

Old 03-07-2011, 05:05 PM
Are there supposed to be 2 solenoids on the firewall? My truck has 1 with 2 vacuum lines running to it. I pulled the vacuum lines at the wheels and they both have equal vacuum. I also pulled out the solenoid and it looks alright, no corrosion or anything. When I switch to high, I hear a click, and switch back to 2 it clicks again, but the hubs aren't locking it seems like.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Anybody?

I went back out and made sure that when switched to 4Hi the vacuum goes away, this would eliminate the solenoid correct? There is no ratchet/whining/grinding sounds, but also no sounds from the transfer case either. Just clicks from the solenoid.

Old 03-07-2011, 06:31 PM
One more thing to add, just got under the truck and had a buddy switch from 2hi to 4hi and no noises from the t-case or anywhere in that area. Tried tapping with a hammer and nothing.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
First, you really need to wait a bit longer than 30 seconds for a reply here.

Now that I've got that off my chest, you need to give us some details on your truck. Is it a 2004+ truck? If so, you only have one Solenoid on the firewall. Do you have the Electronic Shift on the Fly (ESOF) switch / system with the rotary dial on the dash or the manual Transfer Case lever?

Your symptoms don't add up either. Assuming you have the ESOF switch / system, you shouldn't get a 4x4 light on the dash if the Transfer Case hasn't shifted. Some of your posts sound like it is shifting, but your IWE's aren't locking up. Did you fully read through the second link and read through the attached .pdf files? The grinding follwed by a clunk is pretty typical of a bad IWE or a bad Solenoid controlling them. Again, read through that second link fully.

Old 03-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
First, you really need to wait a bit longer than 30 seconds for a reply here.

Now that I've got that off my chest, you need to give us some details on your truck. Is it a 2004+ truck? If so, you only have one Solenoid on the firewall. Do you have the Electronic Shift on the Fly (ESOF) switch / system with the rotary dial on the dash or the manual Transfer Case lever?

Your symptoms don't add up either. Assuming you have the ESOF switch / system, you shouldn't get a 4x4 light on the dash if the Transfer Case hasn't shifted. Some of your posts sound like it is shifting, but your IWE's aren't locking up. Did you fully read through the second link and read through the attached .pdf files? The grinding follwed by a clunk is pretty typical of a bad IWE or a bad Solenoid controlling them. Again, read through that second link fully.
First, it was an hour, and that's all the time I had working on the truck considering I live in an apartment complex. Thanks.

Yes its a 2004 truck with ESOF. I have read through the link, and I have read through several other links, and that's why I posted this thread, because I couldn't find the answer I needed. I do not think its the solenoid due the the fact that it had vacuum and then when gone to 4Hi the vacuum was gone. I am not 100% that the transfer case isn't shifting, but I couldn't hear it. The truck 4x4 light is definitely on, and I hear a click and that's about it.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by weems
First, it was an hour, and that's all the time I had working on the truck considering I live in an apartment complex. Thanks.

Yes its a 2004 truck with ESOF. I have read through the link, and I have read through several other links, and that's why I posted this thread, because I couldn't find the answer I needed. I do not think its the solenoid due the the fact that it had vacuum and then when gone to 4Hi the vacuum was gone. I am not 100% that the transfer case isn't shifting, but I couldn't hear it. The truck 4x4 light is definitely on, and I hear a click and that's about it.
Jack the front of the truck up so both wheels are off the ground. Block the back wheels & set the parking brake. Now start the truck in 2WD. Next, shift into 4WD and leave the truck in park. See if you can turn the front wheels. If you can, see if the half shafts are turning. (They should.) If they don't, you have a problem with either the Solenoid (cheap & easy) or the IWE's (more expensive and complicated.) The second link gives you all the information you need to replace either parts.

As I said before, I believe if you get the light on the dash, your TC is shifting.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Originally Posted by 2stroked
Jack the front of the truck up so both wheels are off the ground. Block the back wheels & set the parking brake. Now start the truck in 2WD. Next, shift into 4WD and leave the truck in park. See if you can turn the front wheels. If you can, see if the half shafts are turning. (They should.) If they don't, you have a problem with either the Solenoid (cheap & easy) or the IWE's (more expensive and complicated.) The second link gives you all the information you need to replace either parts.

As I said before, I believe if you get the light on the dash, your TC is shifting.
Got ya, if they do turn, then what would the problem be? Also, wouldn't it rule out the solenoid since there is vacuum at the IWE? And it goes away when I put it in 4Hi.

Thanks for the help, I am pretty frustrated with this truck so far, from popping going uphill, to the back window not rolling up, now this, all within the first month of ownership.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 AM
Got ya, if they do turn, then what would the problem be? Also, wouldn't it rule out the solenoid since there is vacuum at the IWE? And it goes away when I put it in 4Hi.

Thanks for the help, I am pretty frustrated with this truck so far, from popping going uphill, to the back window not rolling up, now this, all within the first month of ownership.
The system works by releasing the IWE's with vacuum. (Yes, that does mean that if you loose vacuum, your IWE's will lock.) If you're getting enough vacuum at the IWE's, they should release. When you select 4x4, the solenoid should shut off the vacuum - allowing the hubs to lock and the half shafts to turn with the wheels. Then the Transfer Case should be sending power through the half shafts and you're off.

The biggest problem with the system seems to be solenoids going bad. This leads to partial vacuum going to the IWEs - tearing them up. Once they're torn up - even if it was just the solenoid that caused it - you have to replace them - and the solenoid of course.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Got ya. So either way the solenoid is going to have to be replaced. Cheapest place to start I guess. I assume you can only get these through the dealer.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 AM
Got ya. So either way the solenoid is going to have to be replaced. Cheapest place to start I guess. I assume you can only get these through the dealer.
Probably correct. Lots of folks use Tasca Ford and order online. It's not a very expensive part and only takes about 10 minutes to change.

Remember though, if the solenoid was bad and your IWE's ground for a while, they're probably toast. If they need replacing, you can still do it yourself with TNF150's instructions. I have access to a shop with a lift and had never done the job before. We were done with both sides in less than an hour.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Quick Reply: 4x4 Won't Engage