2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck shuttering...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck shuttering...

If it ain't one thing it's another right? this week the truck has developed a terrible shutter from 50-60 mph (4th gear-- TC is locked at this point). The truck is still feeling 'rough' at all speeds, more rough at others.

My research has yielded three suspects, what are yalls take on what it could be?

1) tires are unbalanced. I'm currently waiting to get them rebalanced as I type this..

2) torque converter is on the way out or the whole transmission is on the way out.. I just changed the fluid and dropped the pan with no visible signs of any issues..

3) the plugs and cops need changed.. I have been putting this off for a while. The truck seems to run/idle just fine though?

Searching for truck shuttering brought up people who had experienced and cured there shutter via one of these routes be it rebalancing the tires, taking the trans into a shop, or changing the plugs.. I'm at a loss where to start this adventure

Old 11-23-2010, 03:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Could possibly be a low grade missfire.
Either cop or plug.
Could be the tranny or torque converter, drive shaft, ujoints.
Not likely tire balance but wouldn't hurt to check.
Possibility does exist for a bad injecter...2005 5.4 3v

You're regeared right?

You're running custom tunes right?
Have you tried it at stock?

Bout as confused as you are!

Last edited by 88racing; 11-23-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:04 PM

I'm at a loss too since it could be one of many things, or complete hell and be s combination

The driveshafts front and rear where just rebuilt it July of this year so hopefully it's not them.

The truck has had two bad injectors in it's life (at separate times) so that is possible.. But would that be extremely prevalent at a certain speed range and just slightly at others? Last time I had a bad injector the truck just plain ran like crap.

I'm running php tunes and have not tried the stock tune yet but will tonight since I'm trying the other performance tune from bill that I don't normally run.

I did regear a long time ago.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:14 PM

Yep, thought that was you.....
I've seen injectors do some wierd things but most of the time its at idle or throughout the whole the whole rpm spectrum.....

Old 11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
does it feel like a bucking surging feel, or more of a vibration you feel in the wheel/seat/floor?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
does it feel like a bucking surging feel, or more of a vibration you feel in the wheel/seat/floor?
more of a vibration through the seat/floor/wheel/pedals... but I have had an occasional bucking sensation when the TC is locked and the intake is droning terribly.. that is a whole other issue I have moved on from though (damn intake drone/enging lugging sensation).

I had 38x15.50's installed last thursday and they where way out of balance and threw plenty of weigh off according to the guy today, some also had too much weight I'm still pretty confident (even after rebalancing them today) discount just won't be able to get them right, but they seem to have done a better job today.

Last edited by FX4life; 11-23-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:36 PM
Had a real bad shutter in my '04 that would happen anywhere from 35-70mph. Wouldn't stop until the truck would come to a stop. Turned out it was the parking brake. It would not completely release. Probably not the cause of your problems but thought I would mention anyway just in case.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by JRVicHammer
Had a real bad shutter in my '04 that would happen anywhere from 35-70mph. Wouldn't stop until the truck would come to a stop. Turned out it was the parking brake. It would not completely release. Probably not the cause of your problems but thought I would mention anyway just in case.

I have actually already gone through this, but it might be worth checking again. When it happened the first time I adjusted it all the way out since I never use it..

Old 11-23-2010, 06:56 PM

Just thought of a couple of more.....

Since your truck is a jacked up.......have you ever checked the cross member mounts?
Seems like on lifted vehicles they get a little more abuse then trucks at stock height.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:18 PM
Shuttering

I experienced shuttering recently. Your search should have found my thread on it , but Ill give it to you anyway. You mentioned a recent trans. service so it may be related. It was determined that my transmission was a little low on fluid , it was leaking through the seal into the transfercase , overfilling it. The overfilled t. case was the cause of my shuttering. There were no spots in my driveway to indicate I had a leak. Dealer charged $530. to drop the case and change the seal with a t case service. I hope you figure it out . I love the look of your truck. I couldn't get away with a lift like that in my area. I've already been ticketed for modified vehicle height in the past and would rather not deal with the hassle these days.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jon Bourget
I experienced shuttering recently. Your search should have found my thread on it , but Ill give it to you anyway. You mentioned a recent trans. service so it may be related. It was determined that my transmission was a little low on fluid , it was leaking through the seal into the transfercase , overfilling it. The overfilled t. case was the cause of my shuttering. There were no spots in my driveway to indicate I had a leak. Dealer charged $530. to drop the case and change the seal with a t case service. I hope you figure it out . I love the look of your truck. I couldn't get away with a lift like that in my area. I've already been ticketed for modified vehicle height in the past and would rather not deal with the hassle these days.

I hear ya, I'm not lifting to this extreme ever again. The higher the mileage gets the more things start to surface, and these things aren't getting any cheaper as they show their face It comes with the territory I know!

I did see your thread, its actually one of the first to come up on here and in a google search. It lead me to believe it could be in the trans, I have had a long feeling that it would take a crap sooner rather than later...

88racing-- I checked them eariler this year but its worth doing again..

on a side note I noticed while driving the tire balance has helped, ever so slightly.. however it starts just before the TC locks into 4th and gets worse after it locks, this is the 55-62 mph range when its worst. when accelerating its just rough through the pedals/floorboards (kind of a grindy sensation..), after 62mph its smooth with just a hint of the grinding sensation. Now on decelleration the shutter follows you all the way to a stop.. rougher at certain mph's than others..

Old 11-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by FX4life
more of a vibration through the seat/floor/wheel/pedals... but I have had an occasional bucking sensation when the TC is locked and the intake is droning terribly..
You're gonna get more of the bucking sensation out of a trans/engine (plugs or fueling)

you're gonna get more of a floor/seat/steering wheel vibration for driveline issues including wheels/tires. How are the tires wearing?
Any unusual noises associated with the vibes?

I'd start looking at the front CV shafts since the wheel balance didnt help much. To test these you'd have to jack the truck up all the way around and "drive" in 4wd to get everything spinning, it will be very clear if the CV is out of balance, bent, or if you have a sticking joint. you'd need a helper to carefully "drive" for you. And be easy on the throttle or you may get ABS/traction faults if the truck thinks you're out of control. And then coast down in Neutral, avoid using the brakes as this will definitely cause ABS issues

Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 AM

Are all the driveshaft bolts completely tight? Mine loosened up a bit one time and caused the symptoms you describe.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
You're gonna get more of the bucking sensation out of a trans/engine (plugs or fueling)

you're gonna get more of a floor/seat/steering wheel vibration for driveline issues including wheels/tires. How are the tires wearing?
Any unusual noises associated with the vibes?

I'd start looking at the front CV shafts since the wheel balance didnt help much. To test these you'd have to jack the truck up all the way around and "drive" in 4wd to get everything spinning, it will be very clear if the CV is out of balance, bent, or if you have a sticking joint. you'd need a helper to carefully "drive" for you. And be easy on the throttle or you may get ABS/traction faults if the truck thinks you're out of control. And then coast down in Neutral, avoid using the brakes as this will definitely cause ABS issues
that is the catch no noises that I'm aware of.. I'll check everything that has been mentioned so far over the weekend. I had thought it could be a wheel bearing, but when I got an alignment they said everything checked out. I can't say on tire wear since they are brand new, the last set wore WAY uneven because I messed with the coilovers and never went to get an alignment like I should have..

I switched tunes from a 'custom' tune where I changed the shift points, TC lock/unlock points and tire size to 1) do what I could to kill off the drone of the intake and 2) adjust for 38's since the tunes are written for 37's.. Now I'm running just the tune Bill has programed, no changes of my own except tire size and the issue is still happening around 55-62mph. The bed literally bounces all over when its the worst about 60 mph..

Old 11-26-2010, 08:12 PM

I think I may have found a possible source of the shutter, but definitely found a problem that needs fixed The rear differential output shaft seal (where the driveshaft comes into the rear differential) has a river of fluid coming out of it...

I'm told its easy enough to fix this seal, but while I'm in there is it worth replacing the bearings (assuming I could do this myself..)?

Quick Reply: Truck shuttering...