2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck shuttering...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
your driveshaft possibly isnt balanced, which caused the driveshaft to spin the pinion off center and "wollar" the hole bigger causing the oil leak.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I figured this was the issue of either balance or being too long. Patman, how hard would you say is just the replacement of the seal where the driveshaft comes into the rear differential?

Old 11-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Global Moderator &

pull the driveshaft off, remove pinion nut, pull out pinion (with puller/slide hammer) replace seal and reassemble with new crush sleeve and torque the preload on the pinion as needed.

mine just started a minimal seep, probably because my truck wheel hops like crazy when i launch it hard. Going to monitor mine for now.

Old 11-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw
pull the driveshaft off, remove pinion nut, pull out pinion (with puller/slide hammer) replace seal and reassemble with new crush sleeve and torque the preload on the pinion as needed.

mine just started a minimal seep, probably because my truck wheel hops like crazy when i launch it hard. Going to monitor mine for now.

Easy enough. I'll have to get an inch/#'s torque wrench for the pinion nut I think

Hopefully this and the damn driveshaft is the source of my shutter. It was only happening between 55-60mph yesterday, worst at 60...

Last edited by FX4life; 11-26-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Global Moderator &

he's reusing the nut which i definetly wouldnt recommend, and im guessing you dont need to mess with the crush sleeve and all that, but i could be wrong. Dont have alot of wrench time on Fords as far as this kind of stuff :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNkGdByzyjI

Old 11-26-2010, 09:15 PM

he's reusing the nut which i definetly wouldnt recommend, and im guessing you dont need to mess with the crush sleeve and all that, but i could be wrong. Dont have alot of wrench time on Fords as far as this kind of stuff :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNkGdByzyjI

Nice find on that video... Looks like he needs to do some work on the front too

I had read that over tightening the pinion bolt would warrant having to replace the crush sleeves, at least I hope thats right. Ford reuses the crush sleeves and replaces the nut, per one 'ford techs' post in one of my searches.

I'll have the driveshaft rebalanced too while its off... just had the damn thing rebalanced in july

Old 11-26-2010, 09:24 PM
Funny i log in and this is the first post of this forum...

My '05 4.2 V6 started doing the exact thing today...hope it's just the spark plugs. I did recently get new tires, replaced the brake pads and rotors about 5,000 miles ago...

Good luck bro.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by ToddziLLa
Funny i log in and this is the first post of this forum...

My '05 4.2 V6 started doing the exact thing today...hope it's just the spark plugs. I did recently get new tires, replaced the brake pads and rotors about 5,000 miles ago...

Good luck bro.

just curious, is your shutter happening in a specific speed range then worse at a certain speed? and you can also feel it on deceleration a bit?

Old 11-27-2010, 09:01 AM
I have the same problem with my '05 FX4. Only does it after it gets into OD at a low RPM. Also doesn't do it on the stock tune but it does on all three of my PHP custom tunes. Just submitted a ticket to PHP for this issue.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by juspifool
I have the same problem with my '05 FX4. Only does it after it gets into OD at a low RPM. Also doesn't do it on the stock tune but it does on all three of my PHP custom tunes. Just submitted a ticket to PHP for this issue.
definitely keep me posted... mine just developed this in the last few weeks.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:21 PM
So what was the Culprit? Mine is doing the same thing. What did you do and how did you fix it?

Old 11-30-2010, 09:07 AM
Keep us posted on this fix mine has the same vibration about 55-65 mph. I thought it was a transmission problem until I read this thread. I went out last night and checked my transmission fluid levels and everything looks fine. Then I checked out the driveshaft connection to the rearend and noticed there is a little fluid leaking from that joint. Just enough to make it wet. The vibration on my truck is very small, I hope it is just this fix!

Old 11-30-2010, 10:09 AM

I got the seal in this weekend, and so far this morning all is well. No more shutter that I can tell, however I was not able to find anyone to rebalance the driveshaft yesterday. One shop had the guy who balanced them quit over the holiday and the other shops machine is broken... Only time will tell if it's unbalanced, I will get it rebalanced as soon as I can find a place...

Id highly recommend getting the seal from the ford dealer, it was only $12.12 and appeared to be a redesign after comparing it to the one off my 05. Took me all of 30 minutes, maybe, to complete the task from driveshaft removal to reinstallation.

I'll try to post the part number for the 9.75" rear pinion seal when I get home today.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Global Moderator &

im sure there are places out this way, I wouldnt mind lending a driveway if you wanna bring it out here and take it off and run it to a shop.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:23 PM

im sure there are places out this way, I wouldnt mind lending a driveway if you wanna bring it out here and take it off and run it to a shop.
That would be great if I had the time.. The truck is pulling a float in the local 'electric light parade' this friday; otherwise I would probably make the drive.

On a side note I checked it at lunch and it is now losing fluid again I checked the fluid level in the rear diff and it's between the hash marks on the mag-hytech dipstick so I went for a drive and sure enough there was the shutter again.. Luckily I bought two seals and hopefully can get something done with the driveshaft next week..

This all started just before I had new tires put on, maybe a week or two before... Then got worse with the new tires.. How could it become out of balance so quickly? I haven't ever had one go bad like this (assuming this is the issue).. Ujoints are gone too I'm guessing..

Quick Reply: Truck shuttering...