2004 - 2008 F-150

How to: 04-08 OEM headlights FX-R Projector HID retrofit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any options to get rid of the orange side lens too?

Old 11-14-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by swiftvision
Just throw some Nite-Shades on it while the lens is apart.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Awesome write-up Powerz!
Did you have any problems with the FX-Rs not aligning properly on the rotational or vertical axis? I know the OEM lights can only be adjusted up and down.
I am looking forward to doing mine soon, probably over the Christmas break since Its the only time i will have off for more than a day.
I like the Gattling surrounds but Matt suggested I use the apollo since it covers a little more area and is chrome not the titanium color the gattling is. I am undecided still.
Also, any problems with the bulb base or the igniter hitting the core support on the truck once the headlights are installed?

Swift as far as the orange reflectors.. i hate them too. I have two spare lights awaiting the project and i think Im going to mold the orange reflectors and cast them in clear plastic. So anyone that wants white/clear reflectors keep an eye out soon.

Last edited by Fabian06SC; 11-28-2010 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:39 AM

Fabian06SC;4410324]Awesome write-up Powerz!
Thanks!

Did you have any problems with the FX-Rs not aligning properly on the rotational or vertical axis? I know the OEM lights can only be adjusted up and down.

When I screwed the projectors to the bowl I adjusted the projectors with the mounting screws. To aim the projectors properly on the horizontal / vertical axis. With the projector mounting holes drilled bigger it also gives you some degrees to turn the projectors rotational axis but not much. It should be enough or you can adjust the cutoff shield to composite a few degrees.

I am looking forward to doing mine soon, probably over the Christmas break since Its the only time i will have off for more than a day.
I like the Gatling surrounds but Matt suggested I use the Apollo since it covers a little more area and is chrome not the titanium color the Gatling is. I am undecided still.

My write up will make things alot easier for you. With the Gatling shrouds you will get the clearance needed with trimming. Not sure with the other shrouds but you can try to make them work {it might be easier/harder}.

Also, any problems with the bulb base or the igniter hitting the core support on the truck once the headlights are installed?
In my write up I show a picture of where the Silver prongs should be when the projector is dry fitted picture 5. This will give you 1/2 inch from the support on truck. The problem is getting the clear lens on the light not to touch the shrouds. The Gatling shrouds after trimming should get you 1/8 to 1/4 clearance from clear lens. The other shrouds might not fit or they might give you lots of clearance.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by swiftvision
When you buy the extra set of headlights, just get the clear-corner versions available on ebay. They are like 100 shipped, just do the retro-fit with those.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Looks great, I cant understand why an aftermarket company cant do this.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:29 AM

great writeup. love the way you did the halo's much better than the standard angel eyes install

Old 11-30-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by 05supercrew
Looks great, I cant understand why an aftermarket company cant do this.
Its technically still not legal because it is not DOT approved or whatever. Regardless, this is the only proper way to integrate HID lighting in our trucks.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by powerz69

In my write up I show a picture of where the Silver prongs should be when the projector is dry fitted picture 5. This will give you 1/2 inch from the support on truck. The problem is getting the clear lens on the light not to touch the shrouds. The Gatling shrouds after trimming should get you 1/8 to 1/4 clearance from clear lens. The other shrouds might not fit or they might give you lots of clearance.
You are using the morimoto ballasts i assume? I will be using the matsu****a gen 3 ballasts and the igniter base is a big boxy thing. I noticed your prongs didnt stick out much at all so that should leave enough room for the ignitors.
As far as the shroud goes Ill probably get the apollos, but have a great idea and parts for a really cool custom shroud so ill just cut stuff up to make it fit i guess. Just heard on another thread that TRS is backordered a bit, i guess i should order my kit now so i can get it in time to install on my break. :o

Old 11-30-2010, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fabian06SC
You are using the morimoto ballasts i assume? I will be using the matsu****a gen 3 ballasts and the igniter base is a big boxy thing. I noticed your prongs didnt stick out much at all so that should leave enough room for the ignitors.
As far as the shroud goes Ill probably get the apollos, but have a great idea and parts for a really cool custom shroud so ill just cut stuff up to make it fit i guess. Just heard on another thread that TRS is backordered a bit, i guess i should order my kit now so i can get it in time to install on my break. :o
WOW you're going all out! I just got the higher end china stuff from retro-solutions.com. My igniter base are the red and black ones. Make sure you take pictures on what has to be done to have different shrouds.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by thejake1989
great writeup. love the way you did the halo's much better than the standard angel eyes install
Thanks! I liked the way the halo looked like behind the Gatling shroud, or I never would have went with halo's. The only downside is it's not as bright as the halo's in the open.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Its technically still not legal because it is not DOT approved or whatever. Regardless, this is the only proper way to integrate HID lighting in our trucks.
I agree 100%

Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am new to the whole HID mod. I just ordered a set of 5000k bi-xenon from Jon_To over on the vendor forum. I want to improve my lighting, but I certainly do not want to blind other drivers. Is this projector retrofit the proper way to upgrade the standard headlight housing for the HID bulbs?

Also, what is the difference in doing a retrofit vs. buying an aftermarket projector headlight housing like the one below. They are only $225 for a pair, so if I include the price of the kit from Jon for $110, it would only be about $335, which is comparable to the price of the retrofit project, but with a lot less work.

Again, please excuse the ignorance, but can anyone clarify for us lighting newbies?

Old 12-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also found a site that offers the projector headlamps $180 - $190 for non CCFL. Does a projector give off better/more light than standard?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by eghead
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am new to the whole HID mod. I just ordered a set of 5000k bi-xenon from Jon_To over on the vendor forum. I want to improve my lighting, but I certainly do not want to blind other drivers. Is this projector retrofit the proper way to upgrade the standard headlight housing for the HID bulbs?

Also, what is the difference in doing a retrofit vs. buying an aftermarket projector headlight housing like the one below. They are only $225 for a pair, so if I include the price of the kit from Jon for $110, it would only be about $335, which is comparable to the price of the retrofit project, but with a lot less work.

Again, please excuse the ignorance, but can anyone clarify for us lighting newbies?

Originally Posted by MeanGene
I also found a site that offers the projector headlamps $180 - $190 for non CCFL. Does a projector give off better/more light than standard?
The difference is most of those headlights don't take a HID bulb. The ones that do are a smaller dimmer hid bulb. Also the projector lens is plastic not glass (blurry/distorted). Also from what I have heard is the cut off isn't that great.
Doing a retrofit with a projector like the FX-R You will have a Bigger (brighter) bulb. A glass lens with a optimized focal point (bright and clear).
Your cut off will be very crisp and distinctive. You will get way more light with a retrofit projector.

Quick Reply: How to: 04-08 OEM headlights FX-R Projector HID retrofit.