2004 - 2008 F-150

few questions about my truck. trans/limited slip/defrost

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
few questions about my truck. trans/limited slip/defrost

1. so you guys that have had trans troubles, did the truck start acting odd before the trans grenaded or one day it just wouldnt move foward or it all the sudden started missing gears? i think its me trying to get used to the drive by wire stuff. sometimes if im coasting to slow down some then give it throttle, it will buck a little bit. today it actually bucked a little. most of the time i notice this when i have the feeling in my pedal where im giving it gas, but its not doing anything, like its caught in the space between shifts. like if im at a place in the throttle, then give it more throttle sometimes i feel like it takes too long to figure gears out. is this just be worrying too much and not being used to drive by wire or does it sound like my trans is getting funky on me?

2. do all ford factory limited slips not work? my 90 mustangs limited slip has never worked. i even changed the fluid and used a bunch of friction modifier, still nothing. i power braked my truck a little bit last night in grass and only one wheel did anything. i didnt do it for more than 2 or 3 seconds and that was the first power brake ive ever done in it if you try to relate this to #1 above, i dont drive this truck hard. my friends house also has a backyard you have to back out of onto concrete, and it goes up a steep incline thats probably about 2 feet tall. like going up a ditch, if i back out of it, one wheel will squeal a little. ive never sat there and let it spin to see if it would catch cause i dont wanna make all that racket, but it doesent feel like its gonna grab.

sad though, the only limited slip ive ever seen work, was in my friends 01 silverado z71. 10 bolt rear end (hit and miss rearends) all factory, and it had 365,000 miles on it. he was in grass, one wheel started to spin then the other would jolt and catch. crazy. im dissapointed ford.

i know fords ratios for kicking in are higher than most for road manners, but its not working if it doesnt catch at all right?

truck still has about 11000 miles and 2 years of power train warranty on it, but explaining i want my rear end rebuilt is probably not going to work

3. my window sticker says i have rear defrost. my button on my hvac pannel shows the heated mirrors. its just a pic of the mirrors. do defrost rear trucks have the lines in the rear window like my mustangs got? cause my truck doesent have this

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 09-24-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. my truck is the same way with the jerking. i put it down to a bit of play in the drive train. when ur coasting the wheels are driving the engine, then u give it gas and the engine drives the wheels. the change in motion is what i think causes it.

2. a LS dif is not a posi lock. if you want a nice "grabby" diff, dont add the friction modifier. the reason your mustang had no grab was u "used a bunch of friction modifier".

would you add friction modifier to a standard tranny? NO! you want the clutch to grab and never let go. same with the truck diff. no modifier, more grab. (you will burn the clutchs out quicker though, and you will feel the clutchs slip when u turn corners.)

3. in order to have rear defrost you need the coils through the window. you dont have rear defrost.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:12 PM
thats what i thought. confusing though under exterior it definatly says privacy rear window with defrost

if it was the back side windows how are they defrosted?

the diff, if it came from ford like this shouldnt it still work? i mean why spend the money on a limited slip if you have to drain the fluid and refill it with stuff with no friction modifier in it in order for it to work

Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 PM
If you don't have the thin grid "painted" on your main rear window, you don't have rear defrost. Maybe they forgot to add it at the factory like the slip yoke grease on the drive train.. I have both heated mirrors and rear defrost that operate off of the same button.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:38 AM
If you look under optinal equipment you have a sliding rear window.
Sliding rear windows were not heated. So the heat rear window was upgraded to a sliding rear window.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
thats what i thought. confusing though under exterior it definatly says privacy rear window with defrost

the diff, if it came from ford like this shouldnt it still work? i mean why spend the money on a limited slip if you have to drain the fluid and refill it with stuff with no friction modifier in it in order for it to work

HOTBLUE is on the ball, u have a slider, so no defrost.

the sticker ur showing us is a 07. how many miles are on this truck? maybe the truck is due for a fluid change.

did u buy it used or new?

Old 09-25-2010, 09:41 AM
a what fluid change. its an 07 with 48k. im gonna check the book at 50 when i do my oil. i thought trans was due at 60 if you towed allot

i understand about the window, just dont get why it says with defrost when it doesent.

Old 09-25-2010, 01:12 PM
glc
Received 766 Likes on 708 Posts
If you tow a lot, you should be doing the tranny at 30k.

Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 PM
It says defrost because "Standard equipment" is a defrosted rear window. The left side of the window sticker doesnt change. Thats how the truck was meant to be...without options.
Right side of window sticker is all the options...including your sliding window. Sliding window removes defrosted window, but the sticker just sees it as an added option.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:16 AM
got it. i dont tow allot. im probably going to do it every 50

Old 09-26-2010, 02:00 AM
I'll take question no. 1 for $3000 Alex...

Your trans is dying. My '03 did the same, then the primary and secondary bands were toast, and then I got a new trans under warranty. Ford's magic solution to getting tow numbers is to slip the bands. Which is exactly the reason I: Put a Factory Tech Separator Plate on, Added a double deep Mag Hytec trans pan, added an inline screw on filter to catch debris before it hits the Torque Convertor, and run Royal Purple trans fluid, and am now considering an E-Fan for the trans cooler.

On the Diff: Mag Hytec, Royal Purple Gear Oil, no Modifier. My limited slip works great, and I hear it every day going from gravel to asphalt.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 AM
it does sound like my trans is dying? i dont get it. why do we have so many ford owners on here with 100k miles on their trucks with no problems. this body style with a 5.4. what judges what hurts these transmissions ? ive been paying more attention to how i give it throttle and i havent seemed to confuse it much

Quick Reply: few questions about my truck. trans/limited slip/defrost