2004 - 2008 F-150

RUST BUCKET!!!!!!! Lots of pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
KBB retail for a 2 year old truck is about the same as what you can buy a brand new one for here. I have been in automotive all my life and have never found KBB to be very realistic at all. I feel for the people that go by it in determining what a vehicle is worth. What a vehicle is ACTUALLY WORTH is what that dealer will pay you in cash for that same vehicle, and I think you'd be shocked at how much less than what he is asking that that is! I worked for many dealers in my career and have actually seen them mark a trade up 100% once it's cleaned up, and sell it for that!!! That's NO JOKE. May not be usual and customary, but that's no fabrication! I know what KBB is SUPPOSED to be based on, but have long thought that they are beholden to the dealers because that's who buys their product, therefore is "fudged" to the dealers side. I feel for the people who pay what KBB says retail is, they're paying WAY too much.
When I bought my truck a year ago dealers were asking very close to full KBB Retail and not negotiating. I also got full KBB Private Party value for my 4Runner when I sold it. It's was a seller's market and I think it still is. Around here anyway.

I'm not claiming that price is great, I'm just saying it's probably closer to the actual market value than a lot of folks are claiming.

Personally, I wouldn't undercoat it because I doubt they will get all the rust off first. I'd negotiate the price down instead. After all, he can't do that job right all that cheaply.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
How about having him get rid of all of that rust, then having you come check it to make sure the rust is all gone.. and then undercoating it. Make that apart of your deal if you are seriously considering buying this truck still. That or the way I go whenever buying something used like that is that you get to bring it into the shop of your choice and get a quote on how much it would cost to fix the issue. If they say it will be 1500 or 1800 to clean off the rust and undercoat it, then he takes that off the price of the truck. This way you get a better deal on the truck and can have piece of mind knowing YOU were getting the truck taken care of the right way, not leaving it to someone who stands to profit off of doing it the cheap *** way.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 PM
he has already cleaned and undercoated. Whats the big deal with getting it cleaned so well?

Old 05-25-2010, 08:53 AM
I didn't think the rust was that bad either, I'm in Indiana. i do agree with the overpricing opinions though!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Xlt5.4_69
he has already cleaned and undercoated. Whats the big deal with getting it cleaned so well?
A Couple of reasons...

1.) If you don't properly remove it rust makes for a crappy surface to hold paint, or in this case holding an undercoating.

2.) Rust will continue to erode the metal even underneath the undercoat. That is what i've been told in the past, although it seems unlikely since the rust is not getting oxygen or water, the two things that start up rust. *Anyone is welcome to dispute or correct me on this :P*

I'd personally like to know that it was done right.. but ehh.

So... just to compare what you've got going on there, I went to the ford dealer today to see about a used F-150...... and my god, I'm ready to beg from someone to loan me roughly 10 grand for a down payment......

2009 STX Supercab, its only a 4.6 2-valve but thats all I need... its a 4x4 of course, with the little shifter **** instead of electronic, again, no biggie. The truck though... get this, only has 9800 miles on it! Its a beautiful silver color, the inside has a two tone color, black on the outer bits and silver-ish and black in the middle of the seats. Its got a spray in bed liner (thank god), not a single chip or dent, the inside is immaculate as expect for a vehicle with under 10k miles, its got the power windows/locks and a 6-disc changer, Auto Start, running boards, bug deflector and vinyl flooring, which I like better than carpet... I mean come on, its a truck why do you need carpet, get carpeted floor mats right? Ahaha.

OK... so are you ready for the price? 27,995 from the dealer with the standard factory warranty. Of course i'd never take anything for face value, so you talk them down to say... 25,500 and put that extra cash into aftermarket exhaust, maybe a CAI and a tuner for starters. Also since its an 09' that is when they made the large leap in fuel economy, 17/21... most seem to average about 19 overall.

Can you say........... ROAD TRIP Xlt5.4_69!!!!!!!? Seriously :P if that fits your bill, you could fly up here, grab this sucker and drive it back and end up with an infinitely better truck as far as miles/warranty/wear and tear go, this thing may as well be new.

Last edited by Haemon; 05-25-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I traded my '02 up to an '04 to buy some time. I'm waiting for the '09's to get a bit of age on them so I can afford one LOL.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Originally Posted by Haemon
A Couple of reasons...

1.) If you don't properly remove it rust makes for a crappy surface to hold paint, or in this case holding an undercoating.

2.) Rust will continue to erode the metal even underneath the undercoat. That is what i've been told in the past, although it seems unlikely since the rust is not getting oxygen or water, the two things that start up rust. *Anyone is welcome to dispute or correct me on this :P*

I'd personally like to know that it was done right.. but ehh.

So... just to compare what you've got going on there, I went to the ford dealer today to see about a used F-150...... and my god, I'm ready to beg from someone to loan me roughly 10 grand for a down payment......

2009 STX Supercab, its only a 4.6 2-valve but thats all I need... its a 4x4 of course, with the little shifter **** instead of electronic, again, no biggie. The truck though... get this, only has 9800 miles on it! Its a beautiful silver color, the inside has a two tone color, black on the outer bits and silver-ish and black in the middle of the seats. Its got a spray in bed liner (thank god), not a single chip or dent, the inside is immaculate as expect for a vehicle with under 10k miles, its got the power windows/locks and a 6-disc changer, Auto Start, running boards, bug deflector and vinyl flooring, which I like better than carpet... I mean come on, its a truck why do you need carpet, get carpeted floor mats right? Ahaha.

OK... so are you ready for the price? 27,995 from the dealer with the standard factory warranty. Of course i'd never take anything for face value, so you talk them down to say... 25,500 and put that extra cash into aftermarket exhaust, maybe a CAI and a tuner for starters. Also since its an 09' that is when they made the large leap in fuel economy, 17/21... most seem to average about 19 overall.

Can you say........... ROAD TRIP Xlt5.4_69!!!!!!!? Seriously :P if that fits your bill, you could fly up here, grab this sucker and drive it back and end up with an infinitely better truck as far as miles/warranty/wear and tear go, this thing may as well be new.
haha i wish i could afford that or i totally would go for it. My point is in the houston area i have not been able to find a better deal but this guy is just a complete dumba$$

Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Houston carmax is setting on an 05 fx4 with 45k for $22,998.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Micheal
Houston carmax is setting on an 05 fx4 with 45k for $22,998.
That's not nuts, that's TOTALLY nuts!!! Do they accept MONPOLY money???

Old 05-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by code58
That's not nuts, that's TOTALLY nuts!!! Do they accept MONPOLY money???
the truck market in Houston right now is a complete sellers market they cn get away with selling these trucks here.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Originally Posted by Xlt5.4_69
the truck market in Houston right now is a complete sellers market they cn get away with selling these trucks here.
You're absolutely right, but its not only Houston, its all of Texas. Used trucks are holding very strong. If you watch the incentives you could possibly get a better deal on a brand new one.

Old 05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Lol i just bought my 05 Fx4 Loaded with 45K miles on it in Houston for $18K 6 months ago.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by fx4tough07
Lol i just bought my 05 Fx4 Loaded with 45K miles on it in Houston for $18K 6 months ago.
i know the market has changed since then. But still that is ridiculous deal. where did you buy it from?

Quick Reply: RUST BUCKET!!!!!!! Lots of pics!!