2004 - 2008 F-150

RUST BUCKET!!!!!!! Lots of pics!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddellwo
Why in the world would you use a broker for an F-150?

+1 Inquiring minds want to know

Old 05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by ddellwo
That rust looks worse than it is -- there's nothing there that will affect the overall performance of the truck. Just the normal toll that driving in an environment where they have "real" winters can have on a vehicle. However, I tend to agree that the price is high for what it is.

Why in the world would you use a broker for an F-150? I could see if you were looking for an obscure, high-end vehicle, but not something as common as a pick-up truck! Heck -- go on ebay alone and you'll probably find a hundred trucks to go through that at least come close to your criteria.....
Well, if you are looking for a specific configuration in good condition it can be a lot tougher. Most of these trucks get beat to heck. I looked for months but had a difficult time finding a truck in good condition at a good price. I ended up sacrificing not only some of the options I wanted but the brand I wanted as well.

That said, this truck isn't in all that great of shape. The price would appear to be on the high side for Texas but it wasn't bought in Texas. I don't know where it was bought exactly in New York, but again the price is pretty much spot on for KBB retail value in my northern zip code.

Last edited by plmn; 05-21-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 AM
lol, looks like the underside of mine! damn Wisconsin winters. Salt on the roads will do that.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by plmn
Well, if you are looking for a specific configuration in good condition it can be a lot tougher. Most of these trucks get beat to heck. I looked for months but had a difficult time finding a truck in good condition at a good price. I ended up sacrificing not only some of the options I wanted but the brand I wanted as well.

That said, this truck isn't in all that great of shape. The price would appear to be on the high side for Texas but it wasn't bought in Texas. I don't know where it was bought exactly in New York, but again the price is pretty much spot on for KBB retail value in my northern zip code.
KBB retail for a 2 year old truck is about the same as what you can buy a brand new one for here. I have been in automotive all my life and have never found KBB to be very realistic at all. I feel for the people that go by it in determining what a vehicle is worth. What a vehicle is ACTUALLY WORTH is what that dealer will pay you in cash for that same vehicle, and I think you'd be shocked at how much less than what he is asking that that is! I worked for many dealers in my career and have actually seen them mark a trade up 100% once it's cleaned up, and sell it for that!!! That's NO JOKE. May not be usual and customary, but that's no fabrication! I know what KBB is SUPPOSED to be based on, but have long thought that they are beholden to the dealers because that's who buys their product, therefore is "fudged" to the dealers side. I feel for the people who pay what KBB says retail is, they're paying WAY too much.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:46 AM
pft, that's just surface rust, try living in canada.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:01 AM
He's right about if you're trying to find something specific. I bought mine a year ago and had to fly to Tulsa to get it...and I live in Texas. We love our trucks and don't wanna get rid of them! When I was looking I was specific about a black FX4 and I ended up only having a few to choose from.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:03 PM
Like one of the posters said earlier truck values have skyrocketed in the last 8 months. I bought a 03 F250 SCREW King Ranch with 110,000 Miles for $17,000 retail in August of 09. Today that truck will retail for $20,000. Diesels are selling for $1000-$2000 over book. They are actually selling for that. I just bought a 07 Lariat SCREW F150 3 weeks ago for $23,500 with 80,000 miles. NADA retail is right at $26,000. Used car market is crazy!

Old 05-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep looking...

Old 05-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I honestly dont know what that truck is worth, however that kind of rust is normal for a vehicle that is based somewhere that has snow during the winter. I am in Ohio and I can tell you that every truck I have ever had looks like that after a 3-4 years and I am even carefull to wash under the truck after every major snowfall/salting.

There are many conditions that should be considered before buying a used vehicle and if this truck meets all of your expectations except for that small amount of surface rust I would not let that stop you from the purchase.

Good Luck

Old 05-23-2010, 10:22 PM
he is cleaning all rut off and undercoating it also fixxing everything else with a 2 year warranty

Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 PM
I can say that I'm damn happy my truck doesnt look like that underneath, and its a 1997... Bought it in 99' in Savannah Georgia, drove it the entire way to Alaska and here it has been for the last 11 years. There are very few spots underneath it that have rust. Then again we don't use salt here in AK since it has no effect on the roads with our severe cold temperatures. However, instead they throw down gravel and jagged rocks which royally screw our tires, paint and windshields to hell after a winter or 2. Not a single person here seems to have a vehicle without a chip or crack in it.. and if you look at the paint on the front bit of a truck, 30+ chips guaranteed.

I don't claim to be a pro at this stuff.. but from the looks of it the rust is cosmetic at this stage.. if you could manage to remove the rust properly and have the under-body treated with the right stuff, then it would be fine. However I've got to agree with some of the other guys, a truck with that many miles for 20k is just plain out stupid. Thats in line with Fairbanks prices, and we have some of the worst used car prices i've ever seen.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Living in a state where they use salt on the roads, that's about right (normal). All of us up North are used to it. With that being said...PASS ON IT. That's too much money for that truck. Good Luck

Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 AM
like everyone has said used truck prices are way up this is actually the best deal i can find in the houston area most others for that price are around 95000 miles with cosmetic damage and no warranty. at least all of my problemsare getting fixed and the warranty covers everything on the truck expect tires and brakes

Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 AM
also this is a nice truck black leather captians chairs 6 disk its not a bare bone Fx4

Old 05-24-2010, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Xlt5.4_69
he is cleaning all rut off and undercoating it also fixxing everything else with a 2 year warranty
Make sure he does a verrry good job cleaning it before he undercoats it, don't want to trap the stuff in there.

Quick Reply: RUST BUCKET!!!!!!! Lots of pics!!