2004 - 2008 F-150

3 Foglight Bulbs in 2 Weeks

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 Foglight Bulbs in 2 Weeks

My foglight bulbs keep busting. The right side did it 2 weeks ago and now both bulbs have busted again. Anybody know whats causing this?

Old 05-07-2010, 11:58 PM
When you say "busting"what do you mean?If they are just going out,my driver side was doing the same thing,I bought a new bulb,it was out 2 days later.I switched what I thought was the bad bulb to the passenger and it worked.I had a loose connection in the plug!

Old 05-08-2010, 12:09 AM
The bulbs are actually exploding glass everywhere.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:41 AM
my ranger did that...turns out water was getting inside the housing...i sealed it up good and put a new bulb in and didnt have a problem till i sold it

Old 05-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by HiVoltage14.4
My foglight bulbs keep busting. The right side did it 2 weeks ago and now both bulbs have busted again. Anybody know whats causing this?
You're not touching the glass part with your bare fingers are you? That'll create a hot spot which will cause it break.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:26 AM
Finger prints are definetly a no no. Typically that just shortens the lamp life.

What brand exploded any chance these are Sylvania's?

I made halogen lamps when I worked as an engineer for Sylvania and for Philips. Sylvania's capsule manufacturing process is such that exploding lamps is much more common then with others (Philips, GE, Wagner but not sure about other major brands). Once a lamp has exploded in a housing, you've got to either replace the housing or remove EVERY tiny particle of glass. Believe it or not, that small peice of glass that may land on the light up bulb will cause it to explode. Cold glass (the particle/peice) onto hot glass creates stress in the glass wall of the bulb and since halogen's are under 90 psi or so of gas pressure. It explodes.

If they are Sylvania's I'd go on their website and contact someone in the Hillsboro NH plant. That's where most of their automotive lighting comes from. See if you can get them send you replacements.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Originally Posted by svt2205
Finger prints are definetly a no no. Typically that just shortens the lamp life.

What brand exploded any chance these are Sylvania's?

I made halogen lamps when I worked as an engineer for Sylvania and for Philips. Sylvania's capsule manufacturing process is such that exploding lamps is much more common then with others (Philips, GE, Wagner but not sure about other major brands). Once a lamp has exploded in a housing, you've got to either replace the housing or remove EVERY tiny particle of glass. Believe it or not, that small peice of glass that may land on the light up bulb will cause it to explode. Cold glass (the particle/peice) onto hot glass creates stress in the glass wall of the bulb and since halogen's are under 90 psi or so of gas pressure. It explodes.

If they are Sylvania's I'd go on their website and contact someone in the Hillsboro NH plant. That's where most of their automotive lighting comes from. See if you can get them send you replacements.
It's rare, but I have seen the odd bulb break after the glass was touched. More then likely a defect in the bulb itself.

Good point about the glass particles, I forgot that.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 PM
But guys what Im not getting both bulbs blew the same time. I only replaced one. I never touched the bulb and have never noticed moisture in the housing.

Quick Reply: 3 Foglight Bulbs in 2 Weeks