2004 - 2008 F-150

What is this (photo) and what could be making this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this (photo) and what could be making this sound? (video)

[1] Where drive shaft meets rear differential, seems to be leaking. Ford replaced my driveshaft a couple months ago but I just noticed this:

[2] I noticed a noise when ever I hit a speed bump or any bump in the road from the rear drivers side. Today I was looking around and I walked up to the die of my truck tire (rear drivers side) grabbed the tire and shook in back and forth (not front to back) and as I did that a hollow sound, kinda like squeaky door coming from the hub of the tire. Kinda like the tire was lose but all the lug nuts are tight. Seems like to much play in the tire.

Video here (the sound is much louder in real life):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Bm6QvdGd8

Last edited by XPerties; 04-05-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:42 PM
leak is the pinion seal. My dads just went out on his 07 with 115k. $350 to replace at dealer. The wheel i have no idea but either you are extremely strong or something is really loose because i could never move my truck like that.

If i had to guess on the rear axle i would guess loose leaf springs. Tighten the two bolts that hold them together on top of the leaf springs then tighten the 4 carriage bolts that hold the leaf springs on the axle.

Last edited by daculatruck50; 04-05-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:58 PM
thats odd. check those leafs and lugs.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:04 PM
x2 on pinion seal leak. Dealer should fix if they just worked on your driveshaft.

Movement on that rear axle seems scary. I couldn't make my truck shake like that if I was a 1000-pound gorilla.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:41 PM
I looked on my service report when I had it in a couple months ago and this is what they replaced:

- Rear Axle Differential Clutch Pack
- Rear Axle Seals replaced
- Drive shaft replaced
- Drive shaft slip yoke had metal, replaced
- Lubed drive shaft

Doing any of the above, would that require them to remove or mess with the pinion seals?

Old 04-05-2010, 07:22 PM
i'd get that checked quick! just dont let the wheel pass you on the interstate! had a 95 jeep wrangler with 33's running down the interstate and saw a wheel pass me. it was mine not a fun ride! hahahahahaha!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 PM
dont think that any of that would had caused the leaking pinion seal. to replace clutch pack the cover comes off and a bolt is removed from carrier allowing and spacer pin which is about 1 in in diameter to come out. after that the axles are pushed in and c clips are removed and axles come out and then the carrier caps are removed and then the carrier and removal and replacement of clutches. the noise i believe you are hearing is the axles making contact with the pin yes there is some slack that is normal

Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 PM
these guys probably have a better answer on the front leak than me. hard to tell by the video on the rear noise. maybe check the rotor/caliper as well as the chrome cladding on the rim

Old 04-14-2010, 04:12 PM
So truck went to dealership this morning and just got the call...

Seal was replaced however the play in the rear tire and sound I hear when going over a bump is normal..."they claim". They say the play was compared to another few trucks and they all have the play. They say it's more noticeable by me doing it because I have oversized tires so the sway of rocking back and forth as shown int he video is easier to do. :blush:

Looks like I'll be headed to NTB to have my oil changed and tires rotated and see if they can take a look and get a second opinion.

Quick Reply: What is this (photo) and what could be making this sound?