The following will be covered:
1. PATS System
2. Purchase a PATS key for "Cheap"
3. Programming a PATS Key
4. Programming a Remote/Fob/Clicker
5. Programming the Door Keypad
6. Using a Fusion Key Instead

1. PATS System
PATS stands for "Passive Anti-Theft Security". It is Fords answer to car theft.

Inside each key, there is a little RFID chip. When properly programmed, your trucks PCM reads and recognizes the RFID inside the key.

Without the proper RFID signal, the ignition system WILL NOT WORK. Motor won't even turn over...basically makes the vehicle one big paperweight. This makes it alot harder to steal a late-model Ford.

2. Purchasing a PATS Key
You have 2 options here.
2a) Buy one from the Dealership. Can run $50+ quite easily
2b) eBay! I have bought many many PATS keys from $5-10 shipped over the years. They are plentiful.

3. Programming a PATS Key
There are 2 ways to program a PATS key.
3a) You have 2 PATS keys that already are programmed = FREEBIE!
3b) You only have 1 PATS key programmed = Costly
Unfortunately, you must visit the Dealership, or a properly equipped Locksmith. They will have to connect a special tool to the PCM and perform the key programming for you. Roughly costs $40-50 (1/2 hour labor) for this service.

4. Programming a Remote/Fob/Clicker
No requirements here.

Simply have all the clickers with you in the truck and go to town. Extremely easy. If you don't have a clicker, eBay is your friend as usual

5. Programming the Door Keypad
Again, super easy to perform...if you have the OEM Factory code. If not, you can visit the Dealership and drop some $$$...or look on the rear wall of the cab. There is a lock control module with the code printed on a white sticker. here is a link.

6. Using a Fusion Key
So if you are like me, the key + clicker can be somewhat cumbersome.

luckily, the Ford Fusion key/clicker will work with our trucks. It is a combo unit that uses the same key & clicker frequencies.

I love the one I have for my Expy & Mustang.

To use one, follow the seperate programming instructions above for the key and clicker. You have to program each portion induvidually.
As for purchasing one...eBay!!! Notice a trend?

These keys are not quite as cheap as a normal PATS key however. But the going rate seems to be about $30 roughly. To me, highly worth it.
You go from this:

To this:

Hope this clears things up. If you have any questions, please ask.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice write up.

I can say, I have bought many MANY PATS keys from ebay over the past years. Typically I take the blank key to sears and they cut it for a buck or two. It's always good to have several extra keys on hand.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
When I buy a new Ford, one of the first things I do is purchase several extra PATS keys off ebay and get them programmed as soon as possible. Since I keep extra keys for my vehicles in several locations, I generally cut the maximum number of keys allowed by Ford and get it over with.

(IE -- I keep a key for each vehicle at my in-laws house in case I ever lock the keys in the car while I'm there or in case I get locked out somewhere locally so they can just grab the set of keys from their place and come help me out.)

I usually use one of the newly cut keys as my "daily" key, and keep the original factory keys in a safe place so I never run into a situation where I can't easily reprogram a replacement key if I need one.

FWIW -- my local Wal-Mart has always been happy to cut my PATS keys for free on their machine, as long as I understand that if they cut it wrong, it's my problem and not theirs. It's never been a problem, as every key has been cut just fine.

Last edited by ddellwo; 01-16-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:19 AM
So if the Fusion Key works, does this mean this one will too?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08...Q5fAccessories

Also, does the Fusion key only work with certain years? I have the 04 NBS

Old 01-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Starkey

If it has a transponder, which that key/link does, it will work. Fusion keys work with 05-08's, not sure about any other years but the 04's seem to be the same as 05-08's.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:29 PM

Can anyone confirm this flip keys works ? Not a bad looking key if so I might try one

Thanks !

Old 01-16-2010, 04:43 PM
My son lost one of the originals so now I just have the one. I havent really tried to hard to replace it due to having the exterior key pad, but now that I see how it all works, I might get a spare and take it to the dealer. Just so I understand Step 3A would work up to 6 more times if all I were to have was one original and one new key from the dealer? And Ebay, what a wonderful thing, right up there with Craigslist IMO, this forum and a repair manual, and oh yeah the floral store for when I mess up with the wife, but that's a whole different subject!

Old 01-16-2010, 05:43 PM
I plan on doing the flip key. I gotta get a new key made when I get home to do it though, since I only have 1.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that key should work. I know alot of the Mustang guys use those keys...and the Fusion key works in their cars as well. I use one in my Stang.

all 2004-2010 F-150's have the same PATS system and clicker system.

While that key will work, I suggest you shop around a bit more. I've seen that style go from $35-50 shipped. That particular seller is asking $50 + $10 shipping. A bit overpriced IMO.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Originally Posted by Tylus
that key should work. I know alot of the Mustang guys use those keys...and the Fusion key works in their cars as well. I use one in my Stang.

all 2004-2010 F-150's have the same PATS system and clicker system.

While that key will work, I suggest you shop around a bit more. I've seen that style go from $35-50 shipped. That particular seller is asking $50 + $10 shipping. A bit overpriced IMO.
thanks for the advice on the price! I've never really used ebay, never trusted it. Is that where everyone else finds these? Or is there a specific store/seller that has them?

Old 01-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like the 04 up key is compatiable, but the 03 back is not. I did some searchingb and everything I could find listed 99 to 03, and 04 Heritage F150, and 99 to 03 Expedition Keys. Then 04 up. I did find a folding key/ remote for the early models, however it only works on vehicles with flat ignition switch. If it has teh raised area around key, it will not work.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 PM
Sorry to dredge up an old thread but I figured it'd be better than starting a whole new one.

I just purchased my '08 XLT not long ago and unfortunately it only came w/1 key and 1 remote.

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, my best bet is to purchase a PATS key from eBay and then suck it up and pay a dealer to program it?

If so, here are 2 more follow up questions:

1) could I buy a Fusion key to have cut and programmed?
2) after they program the spare, I should be able to buy further keys, cut them and then program them myself correct?

Old 02-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Bueller?

Quick Reply: PATS Thread - Program Your Own Keys & Other Useful PATS Info