2004 - 2008 F-150

Raising my truck for my son

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by IDNC76
How can you say that without knowing the kid.

I bought my truck when i was 16 , and it still looks new 4 years later
same here....

with that being said i reccomend fabtech, heres a pic of what my truck use to look like when i just had a fabtech 6in. kit and 35's

Last edited by dilloncawthon; 01-10-2010 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:18 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How can you say that without knowing the kid.

I bought my truck when i was 16 , and it still looks new 4 years later
So you are 20yrs old and did all of the things to your truck and had it since you were 16??? Damn you definitely deserved TOTM, thats awesome. I'm 21 and my truck is still tasteful but not all that special. I like reading about these sweet *** trucks owned by people under 30

Old 01-10-2010, 03:57 AM
i would never discredit u as a dad. teach a kid responsibility, he will do it. he WILL take some chances, but its part of being a boy. So **** it. Id keep it lowish as well, with a 2.5 in level and add a leaf with meaty tires....safer in case ****....but my dad gave me a beautiful vehicle young as well, and i abused it as well as treated it like a baby.....both can be done. Vehicles were made to be used, and as ling as maintenance and repair are taught, you give value and life lessons. lift away, just do it cheap

Old 01-10-2010, 09:34 AM
wow I really appreciate all the different opinions and suggestions, he is a pretty good boy and I am going to give him a chance we will see if he screws it up lol.
Judging from all the pics I have seen I think I will probably go with a 6" suspension or 2.5 leveling kit and 3 " body I would like to see pictures of both if anyone has any THANKS.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about letting him get used to driving the truck as it is now for a while and then getting it lifted as a reward of some sort, maybe for good driving for 6 months or a year? A lifted truck isnt going to handle like a stock one and might be too much for a new driver.

I know both of my brothers wrecked their first vehicles within 3 weeks of owning them. One hit a tree and the other rolled his onto a telephone pole. Both were 16. I never wrecked a vehicle but Ive always been a bit more cautious than them.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with PJB4X4. I raised 4 daughters. Only 1 of the 4 wasn't involved in some sort of accident before they got out of high school.

Bigger tires brings on several issues a more seasoned driver can adapt to. Bad fuel economy (I'm sure you're buying his gas too), poor stopping performance, etc. or some of the more extreme problems. If it were me, I'd let him put the lift and tires on with his nickel.

My dad gave me his GTO when I was 16. All mods had to be on my nickel. It taught me responsibility and made me a pretty good mechanic, because labor was something that didn't cost me money. He also made me maintain good grades as part of the deal. That was 40 years ago. He looks back on that as being one of the smarter things he did for me in my mis-spent youth.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm gonna chime in here too since I'm pretty young (22). If you were raised respecting the things you own and understanding the value of money, then owning a nice lifted truck shouldn't be a problem. I'm impressed with the number of kids I see on this site with beautiful trucks. A lot of them going to college as well...as am I. Nice to see they're earning what they have.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:09 AM
wow i thought he asked about a lift not a life lesson on raising his kid. I don't have a lift because I tow a lot, but i do like the lifted trucks alot. I would say though to make sure you put some nice wheels and tires on to really set it off. Good luck

Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 AM
LOL this is a great website where else can you get this kinda advise free LOL.Anyway The boy has to maintain A's and B's or he has nothing he is really good about working and earning his way and showing responsibility not your average teen we are old school in our ways.So I would love to see some pics of 6in lifts and some leveled trucks with body lifts to help me make my decision.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm a firm believer if you're going to lift a truck, you need to do it right. With 35" tires, you need lower gears than your current gear ratio. There will be those that say you don't, and yes you can get by without it. However, performance suffers by a significant margin. Been there, done that on more than one occasion. This is often a hidden cost when looking to larger tires.

I just believe a 2" leveling lift and 33"s is a lot more prudent and the gearing issue isn't as critical. Any suspension lift is better than a body lift while you're asking. I don't think we've seen the last of $4 gas, so that would be my motivation as a father to keep a more conservative profile. I've been off roading for many years. A 35" all terrain will never hang with a good 33" dedicated mud tire. A winch is better than ground clearance.

Just last night, I had some dumb***, come over three lanes and damn near hit the front of my truck if it weren't for quick reactions by both me and my truck. There would have been no avoiding an accident in one of my prior lifted trucks.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm 20, bought my truck and everything on it myself. I treat it like it's my baby, gets washed and waxed every weekend. But, I've seen both sides of the spectrum, kids in highschool that tore the hell out of nice trucks, and other people like me that treated them good.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:25 PM

Lytefoot -

It really depends on how much your looking to spend. All said and done a suspension lift can cost around 5k, lift + rims + tires + gears. another question , will you be installing the lift yourself ? If no, i wouldnt recommend a Body lift just b/c the labor cost are expensive, youd be close to the price of a suspension lift. you can get away with a leveling kit and 35's on stock rims for $1,500.

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
So you are 20yrs old and did all of the things to your truck and had it since you were 16??? Damn you definitely deserved TOTM, thats awesome. I'm 21 and my truck is still tasteful but not all that special. I like reading about these sweet *** trucks owned by people under 30
Thanks Darren, i ll actually be 20 in a few months but i ve had the truck for just about 4 years. its easy to take care of something when all the money you make is dumped into the truck

Old 01-10-2010, 01:28 PM

and it still looks new 4 years later
Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
same here....
lets not be too modest now Dillon

Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher

But seriously, you're pretty ****ing stupid if you don't think a 15 isn't going to tear up a lifted F150.
Looks like someone is a little jealous.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
same here....

with that being said i reccomend fabtech, heres a pic of what my truck use to look like when i just had a fabtech 6in. kit and 35's

DILLON

Here is a pic of our truck I love how yours looks that is the way we will go prob . Did you change your gears?

Quick Reply: Raising my truck for my son