2004 - 2008 F-150

Problem previously not seen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealth
Hmm. Maybe there was some bad gas in the last tank.
I thougtht about that, but wouldn't bad gas make it miss? This was a severe surging as if you were pumping the throttle. No sputter at all, very rythmic.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
Always try the easy fixes first.
...snip...
Before you swap any parts why not try to put it back to stock and eliminate simple stuff. If it's not you wasted some time...if it is you will waste money and time.
Originally Posted by ManualF150
...snip...

Does that Edge EVO with the PHP custom tunes change any shift points, timings or line pressures with that tranny? How about torque converter lockup points?

If that is the case, see what happens if you revert the truck back to the factory settings. If it corrects it, I would talk to Edge or PHP immediately about getting a new "custom" tune done.

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rich
Did you try going back to the "stock" tune and seeing what happens?
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Sorry if i missed it, but did you try return to stock & reflash. (Completely lear out the KAM with a hard reset).

Does this also occur while in stock tune?

There is the remote possibility of the PCM itself going bad, or connections to it. For example, the drivers used to pulse the Cops are internal, draw huge amounts of current (albeit very briefly), and have a number of independent grounds in the PCM harness. Any problems / degradation could surface as the duty cycle goes up (more average load on the driver circuits, hence more potential voltage drop). I would think the PCM would trap these things, but perhaps not.

Just a thought. One thing at a time, Jim.

Good luck.
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I have not returned to stock. ...snip...
Originally Posted by MGDfan
So BJ - any further news on this? How long does it take to reflash your truck, anyways?
...snip...
I highly suggest taking it back to stock... that tuner might have something to do with your problem.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I do not see where the tuner causes his problem.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
sounds like you may have just had some bad gas. You should see how our cars at work run during and shortly after a stand alone B.G. fuel injector service

Old 01-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not see where the tuner causes his problem.
Nobody is saying positively it is the tuner but the name of the post was "Problem not seen."

I have seen this problem.
It was a combination of a weak battery and tuner.
Stock, the weak battery didn't effect performance.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Global Moderator &

Nobody is saying positively it is the tuner but the name of the post was "Problem not seen."

Unless it has gone defective, the battery should be strong, less than 2 years old and gets a steady 14.4 volts.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Unless it has gone defective, the battery should be strong, less than 2 years old and gets a steady 14.4 volts.
All im saying is that I have seen a tuner in "tune mode" have these same symptoms that were not there in "stock mode"...bucking, surging...bogging down at WOT after downshift. Let off and acceleration was smooth.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 AM
im pretty sure you have an edge so my suggestion is to monitor FRP while doing a wide open throttle run and watch for a drop. It should not go below 40psi. Sounds to me like you are loosing fuel pressure in higher RPMs.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:40 AM

His battery is good.

The tuner can exaggerate an existing fuel or engine problem, which is not a problem at all with the custom tune. Stock tuning could cover up that problem with the conservative stock tuning.

I'm thinking he got some bad gas.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
His battery is good.

The tuner can exaggerate an existing fuel or engine problem, which is not a problem at all with the custom tune. Stock tuning could cover up that problem with the conservative stock tuning.

I'm thinking he got some bad gas.
In the time it took for all this happy banter, even BJ could have reflashed the truck to either confirm or eliminate this item as a problem

Sorry - I do not agree that a stock tune can mask a legitimate, fundamental underlying issue in the "suck-bang-blow" cycle. There are far more similarities than differences even between stock and 87 perf - the engine still runs with very narrowly defined parameters - can't change the physics.

One key here is the symptoms's attributes - in this case, the allegeded 'R&B'. Bad fuel does not manifest itself with a rythmic loss of power, at only certain rpm's loads. BJ, are you not filling up at the same place typicaly - I know you are choosy with fuel quality. Only one occurrance in 36,000 miles? Same supplier? Hmmm.

Jest don' sit right wit me, is awl... y'all

Yer not usin' Seafoam on the sly, are ya? Would you even remember?

Good thread, gentlemen.

Old 01-09-2010, 11:24 AM

It can happen, even if you don't agree ya dumb Canook.

When I still had the defective injectors in my truck I would get a slight ping from time to time on the 87 perf tune that wouldn't happen on the stock tune. The stock tune masked the issue with my injectors. With the new injectors and short block the same tune runs without any pinging.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:27 PM
I thougtht about that, but wouldn't bad gas make it miss? This was a severe surging as if you were pumping the throttle. No sputter at all, very rythmic.
My '04 does this occasionally. When the engine is warm, I shut down then restart after a few minutes, with light pressure on the throttle (just enough to get it moving) the truck will surge rhythmically as it moves forward for as long as I hold the pedal. Letting go or pressing harder stops it.

It was really bad when I bought the truck back in '04, a PCM relash fixed it (along with a tranny downshift problem, or lack of actually). It's recently started to come back although nowhere near as bad as when it was new and not often enough for me to worry about it. My surging happens with stock tune so I doubt a programmer is to blame.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:52 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Not saying this is related blue, but I think you are due for a TB cleaning anyways.

Old 01-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bubba lives! I haven't seen him in ages!
Sorry to interrupt your thread their old man. Seems like you just have a bad gas problem, this also seems to be a trend when people get to be "over the hill"

Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
Global Moderator &

Originally Posted by Jwool15
Bubba lives! I haven't seen him in ages!
Sorry to interrupt your thread their old man. Seems like you just have a bad gas problem, this also seems to be a trend when people get to be "over the hill"
Well, since I'm not "over the hill" yet, that virtually eliminates that problem!

Quick Reply: Problem previously not seen.