2004 - 2008 F-150

Should my truck have died ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should my truck have died ?

I went away for 10 days and parked the truck at home. Nothing special installed in the truck except a Gryphon, Kenwood Double Din with Nav and an Amp and nothing was left on lights ect. When I came home and went to turn the truck over the battery was dead ? Has anyone had a battery die in that amount of time ? This is an 2008 truck with only 15,000 K on it.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Happens all the time. Every winter you will find out at the beginning if your battery is good or not. Time to replace it.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:20 AM
This is about my 15th new pickup never had that issue before and with those miles the dealer with do it under warranty you can bet on that !

Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
wow interesting, i blew my rear on thanksgiving and i didnt try and start it till about 2 days ago, it wouldnt start for me ither i let it charge off my buddies car for about 15 minites and then it started now its fine, i think i'm going to replace it any way, it'll be better for my lights

Old 12-15-2009, 09:45 AM
It may be your Kenwood Double Din, After I installed mine my battery would go dead every few days. I even bought a new battery thinking my battery was going bad. Come to find out it was my Kenwood Double Din and the way it was wired up. When i installed it I set itup so I could take my keys out of the ignition and still listen to the radio. However even when you would turn off the Kenwood it would pull juice somehow and run down the battery even after hitting the power button! After I switched the wire to have it turned off when I turned the key off now it hasnt died since.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Micheal
Happens all the time. Every winter you will find out at the beginning if your battery is good or not. Time to replace it.
HA You can't argue that! I still have the factory battery with 50k on it now.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock batteries aren't that great to start with, but I would guess you have a parasitic drain somewhere. I would lean towards the Kenwood unit since the only other thing you installed is a Gryphon.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Originally Posted by avfrog
HA You can't argue that! I still have the factory battery with 50k on it now.

Actually I can argue it. Its a fact that some batteries even only 2 years old with little use will just crap on you. Is it the case here? I dont know but with the cold weather beginning it was for sure my first thoughts.

Dont get me wrong I know of far more new vehicles that went 7-8 years of abuse to there batteries before they ever had to replace it.

Next time I will choose my words a little wiser and instead of saying it happens all the time maybe I will use its not unheard of.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:08 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
These trucks have several systems on them that are constant drain. Security, radio, PCM to name a few, and when you add an Edge or Gryphon, that is another. It will drain a battery over a week or two. Charge the batter and if it holds the charge, it's still good, just being drained.

I agree with Micheal though, batteries are not what they used to be. My OEM went kaput while driving at 35 months.

Quick Reply: Should my truck have died ?