2004 - 2008 F-150

the truck is still dead = extreme frustration

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the truck is still dead = extreme frustration

So...update: the key turns on and the radio doesn't come on anymore, but the cigarette lighter and the 12 volt auxillary works. Now the mileage comes on when we open the door.

Year- 2004
Motor- Triton V-8
Miles- 126,000
New alternator and battery put in 2 years ago.

Yesterday on my way home from the fire station, our truck died on the highway. Radio and emergency flashers still worked, but nothing else. The dummy gauges and such quit. It doesn't even sound like it's trying to start when the key is turned on. We got it towed home, but are trying to avoid a $300 towing bill to the shop.
We took the battery in, they said it was good. We took out the alternator, they said it was good. Now we are trying the tensioner (the thing that keeps the serpentine belt tight- i don't know if tensioner is the right term).
Someone suggested it could be the fuel pump? We are basically taking the truck apart piece by piece and going to the hardware store and they are checking it for us.
Any and all suggestions would be very greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by sings16_01; 08-04-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: new developments
Old 08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Look in the passenger side foot well up front. Behind the fuse box is the fuel pump shut off switch. Push it, then try to crank up. I was wiring for my system, and by taking my battery cable off, it jumped the switch. See if that helps you. Also, where are you located? There are tons of people on this site, and many of which may be in or near your area that wouldn't mind helping you out.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
We live in Kansas City, KS in the Legends area...Thank you so much for your suggestion. We'll try that today too.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
I'd go ahead and fill out your profile as well, just so that you aren't asked that a bunch of times. Along with your belt tensioner, go ahead and spend the 30skins to get a new, gatorback belt. They can be found at most auto stores. That belt is made by Goodyear, and is one of the best out there for our trucks. My stock belt started to stretch, and i put just a general belt on there. After I would go WOT and let off, I could hear the NEW belt screeching. I then canned that junk belt and got a good one...no more issues! Check a pull a part service for a new tensioner. Not sure what they run, but might as well check.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Starter maybe?

Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you said the battery tested as good.

but

these trucks are extremely sensitive to battery issues. I would slap a new battery in there. If not the case, then you aren't out any money

I had a battery go bad last year. Truck acted like it was possessed and nothing worked. That battery tested out just fine. But when we put a new one in there, all the problems went away.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:06 PM
Id say fuel pump also.

Old 08-04-2009, 06:42 PM
What about the PATS security system???? Or the ignition? The truck doesn't even "ding" when the key is in the ignition and in the AUX position

Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sings16_01
What about the PATS security system???? Or the ignition? The truck doesn't even "ding" when the key is in the ignition and in the AUX position
PATS only prevents starting. it doesn't interfere with the accessory power

if you have a properly cut key that isn't PATS programmed, it will still operate the ignition stuff...just the PATS won't allow it to start.

again, try a new battery. these trucks runn 100% off the battery. if it ain't working it won't drive, start, or even have basic functions.
you most likely have the mileage indicator and 12v acc power since they are minor draws.

if the battery can be ruled out 100%...I hate to say it, but you really need to visit a Ford Dealership. Next on the list is the PCM itself. If that went, well the whole truck is dead
btw, did you clean your battery contacts good?

get a can of Coca Cola and a brush. soak each contact in Coke, and make sure it's clean

Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 PM
Is the truck throwing any codes? Could be Fuel Pressure Driver Module. Its located under the spare tire and can rust pretty bad. Ford mixed metal mounting and the corrosion is ridiculous. I am going to check on mine before the winter as the salt just kills the thing. It would be P1233. You would not be able to start the truck if it goes bad.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:43 PM
My vote is the battery. What brand of batt. was put in?
Some aftermarket batteries( autozone/advance) Their batts are crap! Get a motorcraft, interstate, Exide( my personal fav.) The absolute best way to check a batt. is to gravity check each cell.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by gator68
My vote is the battery. What brand of batt. was put in?
Some aftermarket batteries( autozone/advance) Their batts are crap! Get a motorcraft, interstate, Exide( my personal fav.) The absolute best way to check a batt. is to gravity check each cell.
Pfft, motorcraft, if I could get one to last longer then 6 months in my F150's I'd be a happy man, all under Ford warranty, but it still sucks having a perfectly working truck one day and nothing the next. This is my third Ford with the same problem. No aftermarket stuff on them. I say motorcraft batteries are crap.

Agree that it is most likely the battery that is causing the problems

Old 08-04-2009, 10:23 PM
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions! I appreciate them very much. Please keep them coming!!
I will buy a new battery and see if that's the problem. Unfortuantely, now the truck won't even go into gear. Sigh...

Old 08-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Originally Posted by cndcowboy
Pfft, motorcraft, if I could get one to last longer then 6 months in my F150's I'd be a happy man, all under Ford warranty, but it still sucks having a perfectly working truck one day and nothing the next. This is my third Ford with the same problem. No aftermarket stuff on them. I say motorcraft batteries are crap.

Agree that it is most likely the battery that is causing the problems
I'm in the neighboring province running my stock motorcraft battery from the day it was born! (August 2003) Which is saying something, considering our winters here in Saskatchewan. **knocks on wood*

Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Could it be the ignition switch itself? If this truck was used for intown driving only, the switch gets a lot of use. Not sure how to check this though.

Quick Reply: the truck is still dead = extreme frustration