2004 - 2008 F-150

Motor locked up @ 51K miles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motor locked up @ 51K miles!

I have an early 2005 5.4L with CAI and Gryphone with 51K+ miles. Coming home from our camp today and truck began a little hesitation. Didn't think much about it It got a little worse so I pulled over and popped the hood. Engine would not idle and the motor was shaking like motor mounts were shot. I shut it off and removed Gryphon and it wouldn't crank. Finally it cranked and i went 1/4 mile to friends house. I went about 15mph and if i attempted to accellerate i heard a loud knock-like noise coming from drivers side engine (i think). I shut it off soon as i go to the house. Check all fluids and discovered gas in oil! It threw one code: P2198. It did smell rich. My dad comes with dually and goose neck trailer to haul it home. I go to crank it up and the motor was locked up.

Gryphon did not have any custom settings, and I've been running edge/gryphon for 30K miles or so.
What does gas in oil mean?

I suspect that injectors stuck open and burned cylinder wall and I am in need of a new motor. If so, ford will cover all damages. If something else, thank goodness for my extended warranty!

What else do you guys think it could be?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:56 PM
Stuck injector. I don't think it's anything else. Did you get a letter from Ford on the injector problem and extended coverage?

Old 07-18-2009, 07:57 PM
bad bad. Sounds like a cracked cylinder wall to me. But I'm not that good of engine guy to say really.

Man the internet sucks for trying to look up fuel in the oil. Injector sounds right though since most of the information I found talks about engines being flooded.

Last edited by Impact9; 07-18-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like the infamous 05 injector failure. If it did any internal damage to the engine, you'll get a new engine out of it, on fords tab.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I Agree with the guys above.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but.............

Ford techs claim that they actually have a way of knowing that a programmer was installed on the truck and if that is true they may NOT cover all of the damages and blame it on the programmer. It's really up to the dealer if that's the case. I don't know this to be 100% sure but I think that a dealer has to go through Ford to honor warranty claims on a larger scale (complete engines, etc.) and they look very close for signs of a power adder (at least they do on diesels).

I know for a fact that diesel techs DO know when a chip has been installed on a diesel engine. Many diesel guys have had to foot the bill for new transmissions, turbos, etc. due to having a chip installed and not knowing they limits of a stock engine/trans/turbo. I hope it turns out for the best but you always have to remember that "you've gotta pay to play" in case things turn down a road you don't want to be travelling.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck! While I am under warranty, Extended now, I don't mess with stock tuning!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I have the letter from ford about injector failure.

08FX4: Although I did have the tuner installed, I don't think it caused the stuck injector. If they do try to go that route, I will have a lawyer ready to fight since it is a known issue. I really hope it does not go that route. When i had my cam phaser done, They didn't say anything about that, but my ext warranty covered it.

Hopefully I will be able to get it in the shop this week at the local dealership. Im in a small town so I am going to check up on the mechanics there to make sure they do a good job.

You know, it pissed me off @ first. Then you just kinda of have to laugh at it because 2 days ago my rear main seal in my jeep blew and yesterday my boat motor power trim went out. Just one of those weeks.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:21 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow, your not having a good time with anything with a motor!.....Hope that they fix it for you!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tuning probably didn't have anything to do with it but if there is that chance they may throw it up at you. If they didn't say anything about the cam phaser then chances are they won't say anything about the engine.

Yeah you're week is definitely not going your way right now!

Good luck with whatever happens and keep us posted!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I have just about the same symptoms but it has not seized just yet and im looking to purchase the new style injectors before anything major happens.........Sorry for your bad luck this week!!!!

Old 07-18-2009, 08:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine did that. I had the edge with PHP custom tunes on it when it almost blew. Stumbled for a couple of miles and I pulled over, knew what was happening, the 05 fuel injectors are crap. Pulled the code, p0175, a rich code.

Called my dealer and told him what was up. Had her towed there and the next morning they tried to start it to pull it into the shop and snap, broken rod. The injector flooded the cylinder and hydrolocked the motor, broken rod wedged in the cylinder wall.

I got a new short block and one free injector. I had the other 7 injectors replaced for peace of mind.

Thank goodness for Ford Customer Satisfaction Program 07M08.

Last edited by Stealth; 07-18-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
No, tuners aren't related to the injectors hanging open, Ford trying to save a buck by changing suppliers in '05 caused the injector fiasco.

Sucks, but it happens. The failed injector(s) and related damages will be covered, but depending on your dealer, they may have to get an inspector out to look at the engine after it's pulled and disassembled, and he/she will make the final call as to what repair they perform (replace damaged piston/rod, replace short block, long block, whatever).

Old 07-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Sounds like the infamous 05 injector failure. If it did any internal damage to the engine, you'll get a new engine out of it, on fords tab.

Concurred. This is precisely what mine did... I had two fail at once.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:39 PM
Suspended
dont worry about the tuner. we just got a new tranny in our 08 KR (28k miles) and they never knew we had a tuner, but that wasn't the cause of the screwed tranny.

take the tuner out, and unplug your battery,it should clear your computer and show not readys

Last edited by 06yz250f; 07-18-2009 at 10:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by BtownFord
Yeah, I have the letter from ford about injector failure.

08FX4: Although I did have the tuner installed, I don't think it caused the stuck injector. If they do try to go that route, I will have a lawyer ready to fight since it is a known issue. I really hope it does not go that route. When i had my cam phaser done, They didn't say anything about that, but my ext warranty covered it.

Hopefully I will be able to get it in the shop this week at the local dealership. Im in a small town so I am going to check up on the mechanics there to make sure they do a good job.

You know, it pissed me off @ first. Then you just kinda of have to laugh at it because 2 days ago my rear main seal in my jeep blew and yesterday my boat motor power trim went out. Just one of those weeks.
Maybe motors just arent your thing. lol Have you considered a bicycle j/k sounds like a tough week for you. I hate getting the bad news about a motor, kinda like getting the news that a family member is in the hospital, your heart drops and your ask omg is it going to be ok . lol

Quick Reply: Motor locked up @ 51K miles!