2004 - 2008 F-150

best paint to use to paint grill

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best paint to use to paint grill

so im buying a gold honeycomb lariat grill from a mem on here and i want to paint it gloss black to match my truck. first of all is this possible? second what kind of sandpaper/paint/clearcoat would i need to use in order to get the best/most durable result?
thanks

Old 04-16-2009, 06:35 AM
I bought some frame restorer paint from Year One once and it was semi gloss black and was an epoxy base. It was a hard paint and has been on my grill for over 2 years with no chips.I just lightly sanded mine and wiped clean and painted. No problems.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Do it right the first time. Don't Rattle can it! It may cost a little more but its worth it in the long run. I painted mine 2+ years ago and not a single chip on it yet.(knock on wood) And I live on a gravel road. Also with a painted grill its easy to keep clean, the dirt doesn't stick as bad to the paint like it does to the plastic.

What I did was go to the local bodyshop supply store and picked up a quart of Omni semi gloss black, hardener and reducer. A rattle can of Adhesion promoter, a red Scotch Bright pad and a tack rag.

Wash and clean it off real good. Scotch Bright the grill so there's no shinny spots on it. Blow it off good, take a rag with some of the reducer on it and wipe the grill down and wipe off dry. Tack rag it and spray with adhesion promoter, two coats. Mix up your black paint and spray the grill, do a light first coat. Let it get tacky and spray two more good coats. Let sit overnight and your done.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guys, re-size the sigs, please! Full sized images are not allowed in signatures.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:31 PM
If you can afford to have it paint matched by a body shop, then more power to you.

If that is a little to pricey for you, grab yourself some denatured alcohol and clean that grille as best you can. After it is nice and clean, grab a can or two of Krylon Fusion gloss black paint and spray away. Fusion is design to adhere to plastic and should stay in place fairly well. At $5 per can, you can afford to touch up spots if they happen to get chipped.

Old 04-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Rustoleum all suface paint ( not their reg. brand)

Rustoleum all surface paint in the can if you can't afford to do it right (like me). It's almost $7 a can at Lowes. This is what I used to do my head lights and was amazed at how well it adhered to the chrome plated plastic. Then I did my grill insert with the Krylon fusion and emptied the entire can on to the insert, the paint just didn't take as well to the grill as the Rustoleum took to a plated plastic surface, and keep in mind my grill was an unpainted flat surface that I lightly sanded. If you go this route, make sure to hit it with a couple of coats of clear coat after you paint, I did.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 PM
ya i really dont have very much money so ill probly go with the krylon and clear coat. thanks yall

Old 04-16-2009, 07:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I did my OEM gold honeycomb grill on my 05 with rattle can and am sorry that I tried. I did the prep work like every one said, Scotch Brite pad, denatured alcohol, tack rag then sprayed two coats of Krylon Fushion. Let it sit over night and put two coats of Krylon Clear and let it dry for three days before I put it back into the surround, looked great. Drove it that weekend to my in-laws, 200 miles round trip, was all chipped up and looked like crap by the time I got back.

I've sanded and repainted it three times since with no better luck, next time I pull it out I am just going to replace it with something else.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:02 PM
damn.. wow that is not good at all. why d you think it did that? was it cuz it was gold or maybe it was really humid or sumthin cuz it seems like other ppl have luck doin it

Old 04-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not sure what the deal is other than they use one hell of a lot of sand and gravel on winter roads around here. I can't seem to keep it from chipping and re painting is getting old so I'm looking for some other type of insert or go back to the oem black honeycomb.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 04-17-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^^^ Oh my.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Dog'em
I'm not sure what the deal is other than they use one hell of a lot of sand and gravel on winter roads around here. I can't seem to keep it from chipping and re painting is getting old so I'm looking for some other type of insert or go back to the oem black honeycomb.
Try a stock XLT black insert or go with a chrome roush grille? love your rig

Old 04-18-2009, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by ian51279
oh hahahaha hilarious. jk luckily i have a Weber grill so its already black

Old 04-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Suspended
Last summer I painted my honeycomb grill with satin black Krylon fusion at the same time I painted my wiper cowls. I just cleaned them with dish soap and water, nothing special, and painted it. I put 3 light coats of the satin black and no clear on and let it dry for a whole day. It still looks the same as when I put it back on the truck. No chipping or flaking at all even after a year of Prime Shine car washes.

Quick Reply: best paint to use to paint grill