2004 - 2008 F-150

Panic button

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Panic button

Dose anyone know how to turn off the panic bottom on the key FOB. Its starting to get really annoying.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you keep pushing it by accident? Not sure if there is a way to disable it in the manual, or you could try and open the fob and remove the button...

Old 01-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Originally Posted by Cooper443irty
Dose anyone know how to turn off the panic bottom on the key FOB. Its starting to get really annoying.
Push the button again.

Seriously though, what are your issues with it? I've never accidentally pushed that button.

- NCSU

Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 PM
I keep hitting the button, it’s gone off while in my pocket 3-4 times, twice I had heavy gloves on and hit it and I have had it in my hand not thinking and hit it. It’s my fault but I didn’t know if there was a way to turn it off.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The mod requires a dime and four inches of black electrical tape.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Open the fob up and de-solder one side's contact for that button. I read about this on a ranger forum a while back. Same issue, accidental activation.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I imagined some poor guy sitting in his house right now with his truck outside just honking away while he's trying to figure out how to shut it off.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by mxracer49
I imagined some poor guy sitting in his house right now with his truck outside just honking away while he's trying to figure out how to shut it off.

Its worse when your hear someone’s going off in the parking lot and 2 minutes later your thinking who’s this moron, then 5 minutes later you realize its your truck.

I’m afraid when I pry it apart I will break what ever holds it together, but I guess it shouldn’t be a problem because you can change the batteries on these right?

Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Yeah, they are comprised of hard plastic. I use a flat head screw driver, knife, or dime.

When I had my keyless entry on my other vehicle, I never used it. I just took the batteries out and put them away. Never really needed it... and never got used to it.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Its worse when your hear someone’s going off in the parking lot and 2 minutes later your thinking who’s this moron, then 5 minutes later you realize its your truck.

I’m afraid when I pry it apart I will break what ever holds it together, but I guess it shouldn’t be a problem because you can change the batteries on these right?
Yes you can change the batteries. Very easy to open and snap closed. Maybe try a dab of super glue on the button? Just a thought.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:21 PM

*raises hand* Ya, I was thinking to myself.... "What bonehead's car/truck horn is going off?" Then realized it was um, MY truck making all that noise! How embarrassing! I just wanted to shut it off and walk away.... for 15 minutes! lol

When I had my Clifford alarm installed, I guess the goober installer set off the panic button on the factory alarm, horn went off and scared the crap outta him, while standing close to the truck, hood open and in an enclosed area that has some really cool acoustic sound! Well, he jumped and cracked his head open on my hood.

Long story short, I have two key FOB's for my truck. One for the Clifford and if I want to use the factory alarm, it is all still hooked up too....except for one small "adjustment"....he did just what yetti96 said....and de-soldered one of the contacts to that button.

(I have accidentally hit that stupid thing too! You are not alone!!)

Now, I don't have to worry about hitting it and I still have a panic button, it is on my other key FOB and you have to push 2 buttons at the same time.
Why didn't Ford do that - make the panic only activate if two of the FOB buttons were pushed?? Who knows?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The 'de-soldering' or battery removal seems a little extreme to me.
The Panic button is recessed, a dime covers it, one or two wrap arounds with tape and you're done.

Even better, when it's time to sell you can include a working FOB and get your dime back.

Quick Reply: Panic button