2004 - 2008 F-150

Air bag light off then back on

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air bag light off then back on

Ive searched the forum for anything like this but nothing is exactly the same

i have a problem with my air bag light. it does not flash any codes and nothing has been disconnected or unpluged

every so often after i start the truck the light will come on as normal for 5-6 seconds then go out. maybe 30 seconds later it will come back on and stay on. if i shut the truck off and restart it operates as normal.

any ideas???

Old 01-05-2009, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe you have something sitting on the passenger seat? Book bag, groceries or anything with a little weight to it. There's a sensor in the seat and if it is "made" meanding it thinks there is a passenger - the light will come on if the sear belt isn't connected. This is protect passengers from the airbag going off if they don't have their seat belt on.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried to pull codes, when it is eluminated?

Old 01-05-2009, 11:45 AM
there is nothing on the passenger seat.....the light im talking about is the one in the gage cluster.....according to my edge evo there are no DTCs....im at a loss here....i know that most of the time the light will blik indicating a code sequence but mine does not blink

Old 01-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Airbag codes can't be pulled with an edge or similar code reader. If there is a problem with the system the light with flash in a pattern. "flash flash flash .....pause.... flash flash" That combo would be DTC 32. You then take that code and reference it to the DTC list for airbags.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
Airbag codes can't be pulled with an edge or similar code reader. If there is a problem with the system the light with flash in a pattern. "flash flash flash .....pause.... flash flash" That combo would be DTC 32. You then take that code and reference it to the DTC list for airbags.
it does not flash at all........comes on like normal at key on/startup for 5 seconds......goes out.....then 30 secs-min later comes back on solid.....if i shut the truck off and restart it....the light comes on and goes off like normal (5-6 seconds)....this only happens every once in a while maybe every fourth time i drive it

Old 01-05-2009, 03:48 PM
mine did the same thing...it was very sparratic....ended up being the crash sensor on the front of the truck....$318 to fix it

Old 01-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by bjp207
mine did the same thing...it was very sparratic....ended up being the crash sensor on the front of the truck....$318 to fix it

I hope it just fixes itself

Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM
it wont, they told me that if the sensor fails, the airbag could not deploy when needed, leading to some tooth swallowage...that 318 bones is cheaper than paying for a steering wheel to the face

Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 AM
it wont, they told me that if the sensor fails, the airbag could not deploy when needed, leading to some tooth swallowage...that 318 bones is cheaper than paying for a steering wheel to the face
maybe ill swap mine with my dads sensor since his is still under warranty

Old 01-07-2009, 12:04 PM
WHAT?????

Mine just went out (it was flashing 4-2 which is front impact sensor)... I pulled off the connector to see if it was corroded and one of the pins had snapped off in the sensor.

Anyway, the dealer quoted me $54.52 for the new sensor. After my discount (its nice being a supplier) and tax it was 44.83 for the part. Its just one screw holding it and the connector so there shouldn't be much labor... The sensor should come in today so I'll have to see. My only concern is whether the error code will clear itself or if I need to take it in for that?

How did you end up paying 318 bucks???

OP - check your front impact sensor (its mounted on the vertical bar in front of the radiator)... during my research I found that a lot of people have trouble with corrosion of the connector. Maybe that connector needs to be cleaned and thats why you get an intermittent light.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Originally Posted by mkosu04
WHAT?????

Mine just went out (it was flashing 4-2 which is front impact sensor)... I pulled off the connector to see if it was corroded and one of the pins had snapped off in the sensor.

Anyway, the dealer quoted me $54.52 for the new sensor. After my discount (its nice being a supplier) and tax it was 44.83 for the part. Its just one screw holding it and the connector so there shouldn't be much labor... The sensor should come in today so I'll have to see. My only concern is whether the error code will clear itself or if I need to take it in for that?

How did you end up paying 318 bucks???

OP - check your front impact sensor (its mounted on the vertical bar in front of the radiator)... during my research I found that a lot of people have trouble with corrosion of the connector. Maybe that connector needs to be cleaned and thats why you get an intermittent light.
good idea ill try that.....on a side note i messed with some of the connectors under the drivers seat. i figured that since the light was not flashing a code it might just think noone is sitting in the seat. no were noticeably loose but I have not had the light come on since....will update if anything changes

Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 PM
Exact problem, 4-2 airbag code, I love forums for this reason!!! Bump for anyone else having this code show up!

Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Hmmm... I guess I never followed up on my first post here.

I did replace it that night... it was a piece of cake. Take out the one screw to remove the old sensor. Put the one screw back in with the new sensor.

I put some grease on the connector before snapping it back on... hopefully this will prevent future corrosion issues.

The airbag fault code did indeed disappear on its own.

Its a simple fix to do on your own!

Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 PM
the code will stay in memory until its cleared but will not turn on light if concern is corrected.

Quick Reply: Air bag light off then back on