2004 - 2008 F-150

What grille is this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What grille is this?

[QUOTE=ST Grey;3339580]QUOTE]

It looks like it might be a Carriage Works Monster Bar grille in black, but I'm not 100% sure... anyone familiar with the monster bar? I'd like to get one to replace an FX4 grille, but not sure on how it installs..

Old 09-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Looks like one of the ones on ebay. To install it you leave the factory honeycomb grille in and cut out the honeyomb. It then screws into whats left of the factory grille. You can still see whats left of the old grille.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:04 PM
gotcha.. anyone know of a nice grille that I can replace the FX4 then? I'm looking at the roush grille and just painting it.. how well does that install?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by zeruin
gotcha.. anyone know of a nice grille that I can replace the FX4 then? I'm looking at the roush grille and just painting it.. how well does that install?
I got the roush and its black. Took me about 15 minutes to install and its a direct replacement.

See Sig.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 PM
It's mine

[QUOTE=zeruin;3385604]
Originally Posted by ST Grey
QUOTE]

It looks like it might be a Carriage Works Monster Bar grille in black, but I'm not 100% sure... anyone familiar with the monster bar? I'd like to get one to replace an FX4 grille, but not sure on how it installs..
I had the XLT honeycomb grille. Yes it's a Carriage Works Monster Bar grille. You just have to cut out all of the honeycomb first then the grille installs with eight screws and nuts. I bought it from Autoanything.com.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by rsbeachbum2
I got the roush and its black. Took me about 15 minutes to install and its a direct replacement.

See Sig.
ahh.. gotcha, looks like you have something in your bottom grille too? I know there was a post about cutting up one of the roush grilles here somewhere, is that what you did?

Did you sand and paint it black, coulda swore they were sold as chrome over plastic?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
It's the lower matching bumper grille from Carriage Works. They're billet powder coated black from factory. I didn't like the look of the stock emblem after seeing it back on when I was done installing the grille. So, I bought a '56 truck emblem off E-Bay then notched out enough of the grille so it sat down inside it more. It's my own 50 year Ford truck tribute so to speak.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Those monster bar grilles look really good, i just wish they made them as a direct replacement. I had a grille you had to cut out before and the cutting was a pain and i didnt like the overall look. Yours looks good though ST grey with the black and sunk-in emblem

Old 09-24-2008, 08:48 AM
Something about the CW grilles isn't too clear to me. Per their install instructions for the Monster bar replacement grille you do have to cut away the honeycomb leaving a bit around the perimeter. On their other billet replacement grilles, they tell you to completely remove the honeycomb by unbolting it– no cutting of anything. Why the difference?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by Carlsson3
Something about the CW grilles isn't too clear to me. Per their install instructions for the Monster bar replacement grille you do have to cut away the honeycomb leaving a bit around the perimeter. On their other billet replacement grilles, they tell you to completely remove the honeycomb by unbolting it– no cutting of anything. Why the difference?
I have no clue why the difference. Ive had both and the cutting is not hard just time consuming trying to get it perfect. The direct replacement like i have now looks better (no black perimeter from cut out) with my chrome grille

Old 09-24-2008, 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
Those monster bar grilles look really good, i just wish they made them as a direct replacement. I had a grille you had to cut out before and the cutting was a pain and i didnt like the overall look. Yours looks good though ST grey with the black and sunk-in emblem
Thanks FX4life. Just trying to be different, it turned out better than I thought. If I had a different color other than dark grey or black I would have wanted to lose the black surround too. Since it blends in with the grey it looks alright.

Quick Reply: What grille is this?