2004 - 2008 F-150

4 wheel parts blew it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 4 wheel parts blew it!!!

i had my 4.88 gears put in back in december... i started to hear a stange sound coming from the rear of the truck. so i brought it to ford to get it checked out and... my ring gear is shot! everything is loose and missing teeth. they said it looked like the guy intalled it with no idea what the hell he was doing!

so i'm getting the truck towed to 4wheelparts tomorrow or i should say today sence this post is going up at 2am but i'm hoping everything is under warranty if not i going to sh*t!!!!

Last edited by bud8817; 09-10-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 AM
Hate to hear that man. Hope they are going to cover it. I am getting ready to come home from Iraq and drive mine w/ new gears(4.10s)in it and am worried that the same thing will happen to it.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:52 AM
damn man that sucksss!

Good luck with it

Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheel parts is full of high school squares...and a good example of who not to take your truck to. I went in there asking them for Fabtech's rebuild kit for their coilovers or who to contact to do this. They literally argued with me saying the Dirt Logics are not meant to be cranked at all, they are set at the factory for the F150's 6" ride height and the coils are cut accordingly. He said they are not "Adjustable" coilovers. Well that's funny, it says adjustable right in the manual.

Last edited by Josiah; 09-10-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
4WP sucks! What brand gears are they? I have Genuine and they have a lifetime warranty.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
4wheelparts has alot of negatives these days. Sorry to hear.

Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 PM

Glad i saw this. I was considering having them do my 4.88 gears. Now i will look elsewhere.

Trending Topics

Old 09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally Posted by Texan Aviator
4WP sucks! What brand gears are they? I have Genuine and they have a lifetime warranty.
precision in the rear and GEnuine in the front they both have lifetime warranties but there is more than just those gears that are damaged. IDK i'm just angry that i went with 4WP i thought it would be the smart idea sense they have such a big name and you would think they would have experienced people working on your truck but i guess not. we'll see though i'll probably find out what happens later on today or tomorrow they weren't sure if they would have time to look at it today tho...

Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by bud8817
precision in the rear and GEnuine in the front they both have lifetime warranties but there is more than just those gears that are damaged. IDK i'm just angry that i went with 4WP i thought it would be the smart idea sense they have such a big name and you would think they would have experienced people working on your truck but i guess not. we'll see though i'll probably find out what happens later on today or tomorrow they weren't sure if they would have time to look at it today tho...
Guess you didn't look at their BBB profile...

http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Bu...anyID=13081573

Complaints allege delivery issues, billing disputes, and poor customer service. Complainants allege the company fails to deliver ordered merchandise, missing items, or incorrect items are delivered. Other complainants allege overcharging, difficulty obtaining refunds, defective merchandise, and improper installation.

The company responds to some complaints by issuing credits, making delivery arrangements, offering discounts, and waiving fees. In some cases the company denies the complaint allegations, or the customers indicate they have reached an agreement with the company but no further details are offered.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:12 PM
Some stores are worse then others. I have NEVER had an issue with the Cleveland store and I have probably spent $15,000 there over the last few years. They have worked on my F-150, my explorer and my ranger and I have had no issues. There techs at that store are all ASE certified and know there stuff. I cant say anything about the stores out west, but here in the midwest they know there stuff.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by Nico
Some stores are worse then others. I have NEVER had an issue with the Cleveland store and I have probably spent $15,000 there over the last few years. They have worked on my F-150, my explorer and my ranger and I have had no issues. There techs at that store are all ASE certified and know there stuff. I cant say anything about the stores out west, but here in the midwest they know there stuff.
Just a word to the wise but just because your ASE certified doesnt mean you know your stuff. I have some buddies that have higher certs then me and dont have half the knowledge I do. And would rather have me show them how to do stuff or even do it myself then they just do it their selfs. Im not saying anything bad about ASE certs as I hold a few myself but you can be certified and not know what your supposed to know.

And as far as gear installs go I take my truck to drag shops as they better know what they are doing. I can do the installs myself I just dont trust my work and really dont have a place to do it anymore.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 PM

that sucks bro. Gears was my most feared mod... Althought i would never go to 4WP for anything. In my opinion the smaller the place the better (hometown, family owned, locally owned kinda stuff) is always best. I bet 90% of the people on here would never leave there truck at the place i took mine for gears. its run down, junk cars everywhere and in a crummy location but this guy is the best around and has the track record to prove it. he has a huge wait list for work, I should know myself and plenty of others where willing to wait, plus the owner is a hell of a guy bigger is not always better, hopefully you can get it all ironed out!

Old 09-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully you could get it all squared away...so far the 4wheelparts around here hasn't gone to sh*t yet but it can always happen.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM
I hate just about everything about 4WP and that goes for the entire ProComp brand name too.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=GTRider245;3370371]I hate just about everything about 4WP . Same here !! I do like looking at there catalogs .
Sorry to hear about your truck . I hope everything works out for Ya!

Quick Reply: 4 wheel parts blew it!!!