what do i need for my 2wd front end to sit like 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double Post

Old 07-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ok people, this misinformation has gone on long enough. The front colis are the same height, they may have different part #'s for different engines but they are all the same length. The shocks are different, the spring perch is 1" higher on 4x4 front shocks. Combined with the taller tires that come on 4x4's and you get the appearence of a much higher front suspension.

If the OP wants a stock 4x4 height all he needs to do is put on a set of 4x4 front shocks and the rear inch and 5/8 blocks and he will be at a stock 4x4 height. If he wants to have a leveled 4x4 look, then he can add a AS spacer on top of the 4x4 shocks.

Regardless of what the internet mechanics say, yes you can combine a leveling kit with stock 4x4 shocks. If you couldn't, then you would not be able to put a leveling kit on a 4x4. Think about that before you type a stupid response and show everyone how ignorant you really are.

Last edited by 05RedFX4; 07-18-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 03:58 PM
thanks for all the help guys seriously! I am running firestone destonation a/t's 275/65/18 and All I am missing is a front 4X4 shock with the change of the perch height and my 2.3" spacer (which is already installed) My 2wd will sit like a stock 4x4 w/ a 2.5" leveling kit ready for maybe a little boost

Old 07-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the OP wants a stock 4x4 height all he needs to do is put on a set of 4x4 front shocks and the rear inch and 5/8 blocks and he will be at a stock 4x4 height. If he wants to have a leveled 4x4 look, then he can add a AS spacer on top of the 4x4 shocks.

So if I understand this correctly, on my 2wd all I need is a set of 4wd front shocks to acheive the same stance as the 4wd (front). Is this a direct bolt-on and would I need a front end alignment?
Good info, thanks for clarifying.
Regards

Old 07-18-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm going to try the 4x4 shocks with my 2.5AS.

Old 07-18-2008, 04:45 PM
ok am i completely missing something here? how does using a longer shot not affect the angles? for example, its been shown on this website many times that when using the 5100 shocks it will lift the front, but also increases the angle... now since im reading on here that the 4x4 shock is what makes it taller, why wouldnt that have the same effect as the 5100 shocks? so then when you also add a leveling kit, why isnt the angles and balljoint and everything else just completely f^&*^????

Old 07-18-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4x4

4x2

So the front ends are basically the same as far as ball joints, control arms and such, EXCEPT the LCA is a different part number (most likely longer on the 4x4), and if I would bet the spindles have got to be a different part #, for obvious reasons, and again, most likely longer, and I know the shocks are a different part #, again longer... The coils are also most likely longer...

So yeah you can try to shove 4x4 coilover shocks up front, but I would NOT do it with a leveling kit... It probably won't all go together, and if it does, it will likely destroy ball joints fast...

Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 PM
No need to be so harsh 05redfx4! We are just trying to help out a fellow member. But thanks for your info

Old 07-18-2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by wolverine08

So if I understand this correctly, on my 2wd all I need is a set of 4wd front shocks to acheive the same stance as the 4wd (front). Is this a direct bolt-on and would I need a front end alignment?
Good info, thanks for clarifying.
Regards
Yes you are correct, by just replacing your 2wd front shocks with 4x4 shocks you will gain 1" of lift in the front. If you are mechanically inclined, you can swap them out in about an hour. As long as you know what you're doing, you can swap them without a spring compressor, just basic hand tools. The alignment is recommended, but not neccessary, you are only going up 1 inch. The only thing adjustable on the 04-up 150's is the toe-in/toe-out. The caster and camber are fixed and non-adjustable. A conversion kit is available to allow you to adjust the caster/camber.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by athill
ok am i completely missing something here? how does using a longer shot not affect the angles? for example, its been shown on this website many times that when using the 5100 shocks it will lift the front, but also increases the angle... now since im reading on here that the 4x4 shock is what makes it taller, why wouldnt that have the same effect as the 5100 shocks? so then when you also add a leveling kit, why isnt the angles and balljoint and everything else just completely f^&*^????
You are not missing anything, whenever you raise or lower, you alter the ball joint angles. The amount of lift is what you need to pay attention to. The maximum amount of lift on a 4x4 is about 2.5 to 3" you can go an inch farter on a 2wd truck. If you use aftermarket UCA's you can go higher before you reach the limit of the ball joints.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by lever
Didnt Tylus already show that they used the same parts on page 1?

That he did! I was at work and that fancy picture he posted didn't show up

Old 07-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
Ok people, this misinformation has gone on long enough. The front colis are the same height, they may have different part #'s for different engines but they are all the same length. The shocks are different, the spring perch is 1" higher on 4x4 front shocks. Combined with the taller tires that come on 4x4's and you get the appearence of a much higher front suspension.

Regardless of what the internet mechanics say, yes you can combine a leveling kit with stock 4x4 shocks. If you couldn't, then you would not be able to put a leveling kit on a 4x4. Think about that before you type a stupid response and show everyone how ignorant you really are.
Thank you for the information. I was misinformed about the fron coils. the point of my post was to try and explain that upgrading a 2wd to 4wd suspension and then adding a leveling kit would be no differant than adding a leveling kit to a 4wd.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by dbhost
4x4

4x2

So the front ends are basically the same as far as ball joints, control arms and such, EXCEPT the LCA is a different part number (most likely longer on the 4x4), and if I would bet the spindles have got to be a different part #, for obvious reasons, and again, most likely longer, and I know the shocks are a different part #, again longer... The coils are also most likely longer...

So yeah you can try to shove 4x4 coilover shocks up front, but I would NOT do it with a leveling kit... It probably won't all go together, and if it does, it will likely destroy ball joints fast...
You need to look again. The UCA's have the same part #'s on 2wd and 4x4's and the LCA's also have the same #'s.

And yes a leveling kit will fit on top of 4x4 shocks in a 2wd and it will go together. Many have installed a leveling kit on a 4x4, including myself and they fit perfectly.

If you still don't believe me, try this little experiment. Go to your nearest dealer and find a 2wd lariat with factory 20's on it and measure the wheel lip height in the front, then find a 4x4 lariat, same body style/same wheelbase, also with factory 20's and measure that one. The 4x4 should be about 1" higher in the front, it won't be spot on due differences in manufacturing tolerances, spring settling, etc.

Only the factory 20's get the same size tire, regardless of whether the truck is 2wd or 4x4, thereby eliminating the chance of tire size affecting the height. All lariats have fender flares, another variable gone, all lariats have 5.4's, eliminating the chance of a ligher engine giving a false reading. And finally, screws weigh more than a scab does, so try to get the same cab style/bed length on both because a heavier truck will ride slightly lower giving another false reading.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:59 PM

big thanks to 05RedFX4 to clarifying stuff while I was at work. saved me some time
__________________________________________________ ____
Originally Posted by Blue150
How can you put 2" longer coils on with a 2.5" AS and not cause severe stress to the ball joints? All your doing with both of these mods is pushing the LCA down which in turn pulls the UCA down which in turn stresses the ball joint. Its like two leveling kits.

Please tell me I'm wrong because this could be what I am looking for if I am.
Originally Posted by lever
If the arms are the same on both a 4x2 and a 4x4 then you shouldnt get any extra strain on the joints with the coils from a 4x4. If that wasnt the case you would see alot of 4x4 with warn out ball joints on stock coils. The real strain will come from the spacer. And its been said before, unless you plan on doing alot of off roading, then you ball joints should be fine with a spacer.
Lever is spot on there ^^^

Originally Posted by Blue150
Are the struts different between the 2WD and 4WD?
yes, at least 1" taller, but sometimes up to 2" depending on cab/motor/overall weight
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4

little harsh, but a good summary of what I posted
Originally Posted by dbhost
EXCEPT the LCA is a different part number (most likely longer on the 4x4), and if I would bet the spindles have got to be a different part #,
nope, look again. they #'s are the same, they just reversed their order. spindles are the exact same as well

Old 07-18-2008, 08:06 PM

there is just 1 thing you 4x2 guys really need to keep in mind.

How high do you want to go?

If all you want is leveled out, then just buy a 2.5" or 3" spacer and leave rear alone.

If you want stock 4x4 height you'll need:
1a. 4x4 front shock/strut (coil-over)
1b. a 3" leveling kit

I suggest option 1a, but option 1b works just as well. only get 1 though

2. 4x4 rear block (1-5/8" tall)
If you want 4x4 Leveled Height, you'll need
1. #1a and #2 from above list
2. a 2" or 2.5" spacer

and finally, get an alignment

Quick Reply: what do i need for my 2wd front end to sit like 4x4