2004 - 2008 F-150

K&N air filter. Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N air filter. Is it worth it?

Just got a new F-150 with a 5.4 3V. I had a K&N in my old truck and I am not sure if it made any difference or not. What is everyones opinion on if it is worth it to install one of these, gas mileage and power wise.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by NVERL8
Just got a new F-150 with a 5.4 3V. I had a K&N in my old truck and I am not sure if it made any difference or not. What is everyones opinion on if it is worth it to install one of these, gas mileage and power wise.
No, not for gas mileage or power, but I like mine because I save a lot on filters. Had it for 70,000 miles now.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
No, not for gas mileage or power, but I like mine because I save a lot on filters. Had it for 70,000 miles now.
I agree, if you're going to keep the truck awhile, it's worth the $$$. If you're just looking for gas savings or power.....nope.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I just keep my filter in my air cleaner until my FilterMinder tells me it is clogged.

I remember on my '99 I used to get leaves and junk sucked in to it along with a lot of dust... and it would look black after 20k. But I'd leave it in until 30k.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Thanks, I think that answers my question. I will just leave the stock filter alone until it needs changed and then maybe think about getting one at that point.

Old 06-17-2008, 02:58 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
I just bought an Amsoil air filter. It's about the same price as K&N, it's a DRY nanofilter, and it's cleanable with a vacuum cleaner or air hose. It's guaranteed for 100k miles.

There is data that suggests a K&N does not filter out as much stuff as even a stock paper filter, and overoiling it can foul the MAF sensor.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM
Suspended
While all these guys say there is no hp or mileage increase, You have to look at the big picture, and take in all the information, then interpret as you wish.

Companies like K&N, S&B, AF1, AFE, AEM, Volant, Banks, would not be in business today if their products did nothing. IT has been proven that intakes will give you hp time and time again on the dynos. Someone saying that there is no hp increase when they cant feel the increase on their butt dyno means nothing. Why does ford throw an intake and exhaust on the special edition mustangs to bump up HP.

As far as MPG, if you are driving with an easy throttle, a more efficient filter WILL save you mpg, but I along with many of you on here dont want to lay off the throttle when the exhaust sounds so amazing. If you can be easy on the throttle, the addition of an intake can and will save money

NVERL8 - I recommend going with an S&B filter for your truck. They have great quality filtration and put ALOT of testing into their products. I Am also doing a free shipping promotion on S&B, K&N, AF1 and AEM right now

Old 06-17-2008, 03:33 PM
They do something; they create that bit of extra power, but for a price. In my case, it was filtering. My oil was much darker much quicker with the K&N. So I had my oil analyzed with Blackstone Labs.

I had my oil tested at 3,000 miles with a drop-in K&N, and the results were bad. My 5W/20 Motorcraft at 3,000 miles had double the dirt/particulate matter that I had with 5,000 miles with the OEM air filter!

I also found heavy dust in the intake tube past the filter with the K&N. I went back to the OEM filter, and everything returned back to normal. The same results happened with my Grand Jeep Cherokee, which I added the K&N the same time as the truck. Obviously I went back to paper on the Jeep as well.

Sure these filters make sense for professional racers who prefer hp over long-term longevity, especially since many go thru engines and rebuild them often. But for the long term owner, I would stick with the OEM paper element.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:38 PM
Suspended
http://thetruthaboutfilters.com/

S&B is more efficient and flows better than the K&N, which is why i recommend S&B hands down

Old 06-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Global Moderator &

If my K&N drop-in added HP, it was so minute it was not noticed. I keep detailed fuel mileage records and if it improved economy, it was also too small to notice. It's possible it did help both, just not noticibly. Neither did it take away, so I like it for the savings on replacement filters. Some seem to have trouble over oiling and fouling the MAF but I never have.

I will say, that since I have gotten the custom tunes from PHP, it is possible that the K&N allows more air intake than a paper filter, so I may be getting some benefit now. I just don't think it really does much for performance for a stock tune, though.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Wait, are we talking about drop-ins, or complete CAI kits?

If kits, all I can say is I like the sound it gives the engine.

If drop in, I'm considering an S&B drop in for my dad since his paper filter is letting in dust into the intake tube (which I found weird.) I'm maybe considering doing the Gotts mod to his once I get the drop-in in. It was only the fivefours that were having the lean problem, right? He has an 05 foursix.

Old 06-17-2008, 11:35 PM
Global Moderator &

he said air filter, not CAI

Old 06-18-2008, 01:24 AM
Gotcha, that's what I figured...

Old 06-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
he said air filter, not CAI

Exactly!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
http://thetruthaboutfilters.com/

S&B is more efficient and flows better than the K&N, which is why i recommend S&B hands down
C'mon Alon!

Quick Reply: K&N air filter. Is it worth it?