2004 - 2008 F-150

Ford parts tells me no locking gas cap available!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had a couple customers with locking gas caps lose their keys to the cap. If you know what you're doing, it takes all of about 20 seconds to break a locking gas cap. And besides, there's a screen at the bottom of the filler neck so fuel can't be siphoned out.

If I were a crook, I'd either cut the plastic filler tube and stick a siphon hose directly into the tank, or cut a hole in the bottom of the fuel tank. Remember, your gas tank is plastic...cut, drill on it all day, there'll be no Wile E. Coyote type exploits.

Old 05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
glc
Received 766 Likes on 708 Posts
The real value to a locking gas cap is to prevent sabotage - sugar in the tank, etc.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
I've had a couple customers with locking gas caps lose their keys to the cap. If you know what you're doing, it takes all of about 20 seconds to break a locking gas cap. And besides, there's a screen at the bottom of the filler neck so fuel can't be siphoned out.

If I were a crook, I'd either cut the plastic filler tube and stick a siphon hose directly into the tank, or cut a hole in the bottom of the fuel tank. Remember, your gas tank is plastic...cut, drill on it all day, there'll be no Wile E. Coyote type exploits.
Quintin- I think the key phrase is "if you know what you're doing". Believe it or not they wouldn't be crooks if they were smart. I had a Chev. conv. stolen many years ago in Chicago, completely locked, glove box and all. When the cops found the car the next day the top was down, glove box unlocked and abandoned next to where a doctor had parked his almost identical Chev.conv. No locks broken, all opened probably with master key (I did say this was many years ago). I had been going to fill up the night before but decided I had just enough to make it til next day when I had more time. They tried to break the lock off with my tire iron but were unsuccessful, so decided to steal the doc's car. My lucky day because the car was 2 years old, completely paid for and my boss hadn't gotten around to writing the insurance policy on it- he'd been too busy!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good thread.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Former Sponsor
MythBusters did an episode on things added to gas and their effect on an engine. Strangely enough sugar didn't do anything at all. Mothballs boosted the idle and bleach killed it (oxidizes the steel in the tank and sent rust in to the engine).

also I added the locking gas cap to our website if you type in the part number from earlier in the thread it will come up.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:37 PM
These thieves and sabotagers are out of control. What's going to happen with the 09s without gas caps? How do you protect yourself?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:03 PM
[QUOTE=TascaFordParts;3204113]MythBusters did an episode on things added to gas and their effect on an engine. Strangely enough sugar didn't do anything at all. Mothballs boosted the idle and bleach killed it (oxidizes the steel in the tank and sent rust in to the engine). Quote]

Man I always watch MythBusters... how did I miss that one

Old 05-12-2008, 08:06 PM
You can't get a hose into the tank to siphon gas. There's pretty much nothing anyone can put in your tank to ruin your engine. It's mute point. Someone doesn't like you? They'll slash your tires or key your paint.

Quick Reply: Ford parts tells me no locking gas cap available!