2004 - 2008 F-150

Thinking about a new truck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about a new truck!

Well with the deals that are out there right now I am considering a new F150. A local dealer is advertising new base F150s for $9995 after all the incentives. Not sure how hes doing it but I plan to find out. He is always known for offering crazy deals from time to time. Ricart ford in Columbus Ohio in case you are wondering. I dont need much truck so it should suit me fine. My Ranger is getting tired. Anyway I was curious how these V6's are doing these days? I know there were some issues early on but not sure if they have worked out the bugs. Also what sort og MPG could I expect from this with the 5-speed? The Ford website claims 18/21 in the v6 5-speed configuration but some real world numbers would be nice. Any other info would be great. Thanks!

Last edited by sean46; 05-10-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
The V6's don't really get that much better mileage than the small V8 in this truck, so you might want to think about that before you go with the smaller engine. Keep in mind that if you're in love with having a "hand shaker" transmission, then the V6 is your only alternative.

I have to admit that some of the deals they are running on base-model trucks are pretty impressive right now. If you're looking for a bare bones work truck, now is a great time to be in the market!

Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Suspended
You should get better than 10k off a new truck. There are 7Ks worth of rebates here in Texas. Get at least 12-13 off of sticker. Make him go below invoice.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the V-6 is a pretty good motor in a small truck...but not the F-150. other than that, they seem to be holding up really well. No ejecting sparkplugs or stuck sparkplugs like the V-8's. Real life is showing that MPG is virtually the same as the 4.6 guys. Ford is actually dumping the V-6 in 2009 models because of this.

still, $10-12k for a brand new truck ain't bad. that's better than you can do with a Ranger right now.

I say go for it. You'll have her paid off in no time, and a really low car payment will offset your "crappy" MPG. at least you can get 15+ mpg in the city with V-6...I'm getting 12-13 with my 5.4...but I wouldn't own the truck without the 5.4 either.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:16 PM
I bought my truck at Ricart also. My suggestion is to go to another dealer first. Ricart offers a $1000 cash gaurantee that they have the lowest price. Just remember that all dealers have the same amount of flexability, so you should be able to get a good price at another dealer first, then negotiate the deal at Ricart for your perfect truck, or an even lower price.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by sean46
Well with the deals that are out there right now I am considering a new F150. A local dealer is advertising new base F150s for $9995 after all the incentives. Not sure how hes doing it but I plan to find out. He is always known for offering crazy deals from time to time. Ricart ford in Columbus Ohio in case you are wondering. I dont need much truck so it should suit me fine. My Ranger is getting tired. Anyway I was curious how these V6's are doing these days? I know there were some issues early on but not sure if they have worked out the bugs. Also what sort og MPG could I expect from this with the 5-speed? The Frod website claims 18/21 in the v6 5-speed configuration but some real world numbers would be nice. Any other info would be great. Thanks!
They have a deal similliar to that here in Cincy - its a 2008 Ford F-150 XL 4.6 V6 Standard cab - 8 foot bed - power steering (thats all the luxury there was) and manual transmission. And ironically I traded in a Ranger for my F-150 - course I spent a little more and got the Supercab XLT 5.4 V8 with power everything - here they called it the Cincinnati Package but theres no emblems or anything so its a nice black truck. LOL But right now we're getting rebates around $10,000 rebate plus X-Plan, plus $2,000 over value on trade in so it was a deal I couldn't pass up. Word to the wise - if your shopping in the Cincy area - head to Middletown Mile Mark 32 on I75 - better deals.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by XLTBlackChrome
But right now we're getting rebates around $10,000 rebate plus X-Plan, plus $2,000 over value on trade in so it was a deal I couldn't pass up.
So what would this equal out to on a new truck? I'll put what I think you are telling me using generic (but close #s?) and you tell me if I'm right or not.

MSRP = $30K

Initial X-plan = $28K for the truck

Rebate = $18K for the truck

Plus whatever supposed trade in value $2k?

So $16K minus whatever trade in you bring for a truck that stickered at $30K?

Basically can you tell me what kinda #s you had when you purchased your truck? I would REALLY appreciate it

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the input here guys! It really helps in my decision making. I may try to take one for a drive this weekend. My Ranger is getting up there in miles but its still running great, paid for and getting 24 mpg. Kinda hard to walk away from that but on the other hand a new truck would be nice. Especially a cheap one! Still I may hold off....or then again I may pull the trigger on one tomorrow. Thanks again!

Old 05-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by XLTBlackChrome
- power steering (thats all the luxury there was) and manual transmission.

Ok I may be an idiot, but how many cars/trucks now days come WITHOUT power steering?

And like a poster said above, I wouldnt get a F-150 with out the 5.4. Had the 4.2 once, and I will never go back!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Originally Posted by Shinesintx
You should get better than 10k off a new truck. There are 7Ks worth of rebates here in Texas. Get at least 12-13 off of sticker. Make him go below invoice.
I think maybe you misunderstood my numbers. 10K is the final price. 12-13K off the base model truck would make it about $5000. That would be a hell of a deal though!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Well guys....I went and pulled the trigger on one yesterday! Got the XL short bed V6 5-speed. The only things I added was AC and a radio. They threw in a bedliner and mudguards. Ended up being $12,500 for everything since I didnt qualify for the Red Carpet lease discount. Still not a bad deal for a brand new truck. Got a good enough deal I can still afford to go buy my zero-turn mower. So far I really like the way it drives. Very smooth with reasonable power. Sure its no 5.4 but itll do anything I plan to do with it. I guess as long as I get reasonable MPG with it I will be very happy. I drive like grandpa anyway so it shouldnt be too bad. Thanks for all your help in my decision making!

Old 05-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Congrats on the new truck. I read a post recently (sorry I can't remember where it was) where this guy got around 25mpg on the open rd. Pretty damn good if it's true.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Congrats. The XL looks good once the front end is body-color-matched.

Post up some pics. As mentioned, you have the last year for a stick shift.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Thats cool, make it look like an XLT exterior wise.

THen drive the hell out of it and get your $12k worth.

Old 05-11-2008, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys! I probably wont get too carried away with it but I have already been snooping around for some flashier wheels. Might just be some fancier take-offs or something. Its amazing what a decent set of wheels can do for a vehicle.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a new truck!