2004 - 2008 F-150

Low profile tonneau covers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tornadom
Thanks for all of the input guys! I bought a 5'x10' BigTex 29SA trailer today, so bed space will be less of an issue now.

- NCSU

Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

how are you guys liking the rollbacks like the pace edwards?

Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by FX4life
I have a RollBak On mine and love it, look in my Gallery

Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 AM
The only drawback of the Pace Edwards is the amount of bed space the drum that holds the cover uses up, but other than that, it's just like having a huge trunk that locks. The nice thing about this as opposed to a hard fiberglass tonneau (even though this IS actually a hard cover), is that you can open the tailgate without having to open the cover first.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by FX4life
I love the one I have, but if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably save up for the FullMetal JackRabbit instead of just the regular JackRabbit. I think the powder coated aluminum top would be easier to keep clean than the vinyl.

Originally Posted by last5oh_302
The only drawback of the Pace Edwards is the amount of bed space the drum that holds the cover uses up, but other than that, it's just like having a huge trunk that locks. The nice thing about this as opposed to a hard fiberglass tonneau (even though this IS actually a hard cover), is that you can open the tailgate without having to open the cover first.
I didn't think the drum took up all that much space... It doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the bed, so there's space underneith the drum still. I'll try and get measurements tonight.

- NCSU

Old 02-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
I didn't think the drum took up all that much space... It doesn't go all the way to the bottom of the bed, so there's space underneith the drum still. I'll try and get measurements tonight.

- NCSU
No, it doesn't go all the way to the bottom, but I often find that when I'm loading boxes, coolers, or anything that's box shaped, that drum takes away a lot of space. With a 5.5' bed you're losing however much space that drum sticks out from the back of the bed as well, and boxes won't fit in that space left underneath the drum.
It hasn't been that much of an issue really, but that would be my biggest complaint about mine. The pro's far outweigh the con's for this cover.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally Posted by Tornadom
I love the roll up hard covers, but how large is the drum, or canister that it rolls up into?

I ask because I often haul 2 or 3 dirtbikes (full-size, 250cc-450cc) and with the front tires touching the front of the bed, I am still unable to close the tailgate. The back tires are sitting in the bed, but a 7' dirtbike and a 6.5' bed aren't quite a match.

If the cover rolled up uses more than 10" at the front, my back tires will be sitting on the tailgate, and I will not subject it to that kind of weight.
For anyone loading ATV's or Dirt Bikes, the rear wheels would definitely be sitting on the tailgate. The front wheels would hit the drum that holds the cover and that drum must take off 10" of bed length without measuring it.

You can remove the cover however. It's a bit of a PIA to do, but it can be done for those times that you need all of the bed space..

Old 02-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by last5oh_302
No, it doesn't go all the way to the bottom, but I often find that when I'm loading boxes, coolers, or anything that's box shaped, that drum takes away a lot of space. With a 5.5' bed you're losing however much space that drum sticks out from the back of the bed as well, and boxes won't fit in that space left underneath the drum.
It hasn't been that much of an issue really, but that would be my biggest complaint about mine. The pro's far outweigh the con's for this cover.
Gotcha, I've got the 6.5' bed, so that's probably why I never really noticed any missing space. I keep a roadside emergency kit up under the drum, fits perfectly.

- NCSU

Old 03-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
BakFlip G2

The BakFlip G2 is the coolest, sexiest cover I've seen on the F150. You can definitely not even tell that it's there from the side of the truck. It's hard, flush, installs easy and water-tight. It also gives you 100% access to the bed.

Google it or check it out on youtube under BakFlip G2.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:24 PM
Former Sponsor
geez, that's not very pretty!

Originally Posted by F151
Xtang RT.

That's not the prettiest looking cover I've seen. Wouldn't want one on my truck. How much did it cost you?

Old 03-07-2008, 01:45 PM
I'm seriously considering the Bakflip G2 as well. Have a look

Old 03-07-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by jmaimin
The BakFlip G2 is the coolest, sexiest cover I've seen on the F150. You can definitely not even tell that it's there from the side of the truck. It's hard, flush, installs easy and water-tight. It also gives you 100% access to the bed.

Google it or check it out on youtube under BakFlip G2.

Originally Posted by smcconaghie
I'm seriously considering the Bakflip G2 as well. Have a look
That's a really great design. If I had to do it again, I'd definitely consider the G2 over my Pace Edwards.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:33 PM
The Back Flip is a pretty cool cover my brother put one on his F-250 HD and it is not noticeable from the side. I prefer my Snug Lid but if between the rails is what your looking for I'd say you cant go wrong with the G2.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by 4RDFMLY
The Back Flip is a pretty cool cover my brother put one on his F-250 HD and it is not noticeable from the side. I prefer my Snug Lid but if between the rails is what your looking for I'd say you cant go wrong with the G2.
Got any pics of his rig with the bakflip? im stuck between rollup, flip, or hard tonneau...

Old 03-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the truxedo low pro and love it.

I would consider the Pace edwards as well.

Good thing about the truxedo is it comes off in seconds and goes back on in seconds. ALso has strength bars running across to support it.

Quick Reply: Low profile tonneau covers?