2004 - 2008 F-150

"Top Tier" gasoline might help with spark plug removal on 5.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Top Tier" gasoline might help with spark plug removal on 5.4

Saw a November 2006 GM TSB today that discusses "Top Tier" gasolines and shows intake valve deposits with Top Tier vs non-Top Tier gasoline. (I'd post the pic but I can't figure out how). If these gasolines keep the combustion chamber cleaner. That could help with spark plug removal and could explain why some people have problems and some don't.

Anyway, the TSB referred to this link:

http://www.toptiergas.com

------------------------------------------------------------

From the TSB:

A new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is appearing at retail stations of some fuel marketers. This gasoline meets detergency standards developed by four automotive companies. All vehicles will benefit from using TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline over gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Those vehicles that have experienced deposit related concerns may especially benefit from the use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.

Brands That Currently Meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards

Chevron
QuikTrip
Conoco
Phillips 66
Shell
Entec Stations in Montgomery, Alabama area
MFA Oil Company throughout Missouri
Kwik Trip in Minnesota and Wisconsin and Kwik Star in Iowa
Somerset Refinery
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Company
Texaco

As of November 15, 2006, all grades of the gasoline brands shown meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards.

What is TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is a new class of gasoline with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by four automotive companies that exceed the detergent requirements imposed by the EPA.

Where Can TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Be Purchased?

The TOP TIER program began on May 3, 2004. Some fuel marketers have already joined and have introduced TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline. This is a voluntary program and not all fuel marketers will offer this product. Once fuel marketers make public announcements, they will appear on a list of brands that meet the TOP TIER standards.

Where Can I find the Latest Information on TOP TIER Fuel and Retailers?

On the web, please visit www.toptiergas.com for additional information and updated retailer lists.

Who developed TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards were developed by four automotive companies: BMW, General Motors, Honda and Toyota.

Why was TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline developed?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline was developed to increase the level of detergent additive in gasoline. The EPA requires that all gasoline sold in the U.S. contain a detergent additive. However, the requirement is minimal and in many cases, is not sufficient to keep engines clean. In order to meet TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline standards, a higher level of detergent is needed than what is required by the EPA. Also, TOP TIER was developed to give fuel marketers the opportunity to differentiate their product.

Why did the four automotive companies join together to develop TOP TIER?

All four corporations recognized the benefits to both the vehicle and the consumer. Also, joining together emphasized that low detergency is an issue of concern to several automotive companies.

What are the benefits of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline?

TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help keep engines cleaner than gasoline containing the "Lowest Additive Concentration" set by the EPA. Clean engines help provide optimal fuel economy and performance and reduced emissions. Also, use of TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline will help reduce deposit related concerns.

Old 12-24-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree. Crap gas gives more deposits, therefore making the plugs hang up upon removal. I've thought this for a long time.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

i run only Union 76 gasoline, or sometimes Shell when there isn't a 76 around.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I typically use Chevron gas since there's one just around the corner.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
I've used top tier gas before, and I notice my 4.2l doesn't like it. But the 5.4l might.. who knows.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would use shell, but its to far out of the way so i normally go with BP or Sheetz

Old 12-24-2007, 07:16 PM
Interesting to note that on my '08 SCrew gas cap it says: "Ford recommends BP gasoline", along with the BP logo.

I did not see BP on the Top Tier list.

CW

Old 12-25-2007, 12:14 AM
I try to use nothing but Shell in my truck, though I will put Chevron in it from time to time. Good to see both those on the list.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:25 AM
I usually runs sunoco since a guy in the same fire department owns like 4 of them (sunoco's i mean) ... so i like to support locally.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Question

Originally Posted by CWCobra
Interesting to note that on my '08 SCrew gas cap it says: "Ford recommends BP gasoline", along with the BP logo.

I did not see BP on the Top Tier list.

CW
I wonder how much BP paid Ford to have that put on there gas caps?

Old 12-25-2007, 07:24 AM
Is there really such a thing at Top-Tier Gas? Sounds like a nice way to market certain gas companies.

I learned this from a friend who runs a few gas stations. Ever notice that very few, if any, gas companies have their own gas tankers these days? Check out the different stations a tanker goes to. I've personally seen 1 tanker off load gas at 2 different stations, that were different brands.

Something to think about....

Old 12-25-2007, 08:04 AM
Originally Posted by svt2205
Is there really such a thing at Top-Tier Gas? Sounds like a nice way to market certain gas companies.

I learned this from a friend who runs a few gas stations. Ever notice that very few, if any, gas companies have their own gas tankers these days? Check out the different stations a tanker goes to. I've personally seen 1 tanker off load gas at 2 different stations, that were different brands.

Something to think about....
I've been thinking about that too. The Shell station I used to go had a tanker that had no brand on it. I asked about it and they told me they get their gas from the best-priced broker.

This seems to affect the 87 octane gasolines.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:39 AM
Exclamation

Before I moved from my past place my neighbor was/is a gas tanker driver.He said he fills up at the port and delivers to different named stations that are on his delivery list for that day.He says the station adds it detergent package to the gas after he unloads it.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:51 PM
Shell, Chevron, and Flying-J gas are the only brands I can use that doesn't make my truck get horrible gas mileage. Shell gas typically gets me close to 14.4mpg, Chevron 14.2, and Flying-J @ 13.9.

If I use BP, Marathon, Speedway, etc. I am lucky to get 12mpg !!!

Old 12-25-2007, 06:12 PM
There must be something with Shell in NJ. About 4-5 weeks ago I started using Shell and my mileage went down to about 12.4MPG. Went back to using the gasoline from the Military base and its back up to the 13's.

Quick Reply: "Top Tier" gasoline might help with spark plug removal on 5.4