2004 - 2008 F-150

Accesort fuse and CB Radio install???

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accesort fuse and CB Radio install???

Hey guys I am hooking up a CB radio to my truck and it says to connect the hot wire to an accesory fuse spot on the box...well I found and open spot that isnt being used and put the hot line into it and the CB fires up but my problem is getting the hot wire to stay in that position it is very loose and easily pulled out...How can I get it to stay?

Thanks guys

Old 10-11-2007, 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
Hey guys I am hooking up a CB radio to my truck and it says to connect the hot wire to an accesory fuse spot on the box...well I found and open spot that isnt being used and put the hot line into it and the CB fires up but my problem is getting the hot wire to stay in that position it is very loose and easily pulled out...How can I get it to stay?

Thanks guys
just visit your local parts store(advanced auto, autozone, or maybe napa) and get the correct electrical connector to do the job. since the citizens band only requires 5 amps you could easily wire it to your am/fm fuse with a connector that will require you to remove your fuse for the am/fm and slide this connector under it and then replace the fuse back to the original location. this will also allow you to keep that empty location empty in the event you plan to do additional mods that require a 20 amp blank for instalation. just my
.02 cents worth, but thats about all its worth anyways.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:12 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Why not a direct connection to the battery? AFAIK the best way to do any types of RF communication is directly connected to the battery to avoid a lot of interference off the truck.

Just my HAM radio license stuff I learned and my $0.02...

Old 10-11-2007, 01:21 AM
Well thanks for the info guys...I wired it in with the hazards so I can always get juice to it...great idea until I leave it on one day and drain the battery...as for the HAM radio...I didnt want to hassle with going through the firewall... I like old school and just want to listen mostly so I dont need some fancy schmansy radio that I will never do anything with..i'll take my 50 dollar cobra

Old 10-11-2007, 01:25 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby
Well thanks for the info guys...I wired it in with the hazards so I can always get juice to it...great idea until I leave it on one day and drain the battery...as for the HAM radio...I didnt want to hassle with going through the firewall... I like old school and just want to listen mostly so I dont need some fancy schmansy radio that I will never do anything with..i'll take my 50 dollar cobra
Haha... that's what people always say when they get into my truck... they are like...... duh... what the heck does all this stuff do?! Me and my radios... next thing I'll need is a tower permit on my truck!

Old 10-11-2007, 12:06 PM
there is already a hole predrilled and caped in the 04+ f150 fire wall just remove the plug slide it threw and run it to the battery, its not going to actually drain your battery if you leave it on over night. it take .12 amps or so to run a cb the average battery has .3 to .5 in parasitic (misspelled but in a hurry) drain on it already.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Why not a direct connection to the battery? AFAIK the best way to do any types of RF communication is directly connected to the battery to avoid a lot of interference off the truck.

Just my HAM radio license stuff I learned and my $0.02...
I agree. I've always gotten a lot of engine whine if I powered it any other way than by the battery.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok guys, sorry to pull a huge thread resurection, but I am installing a CB and am wondering how you can wire them directly to the battery? I have tried to power it through the fuse box, but it didn't get power. Please help. 02 Screw.

Quick Reply: Accesort fuse and CB Radio install???