2004 - 2008 F-150

Fixed The Faded Out Plastic Bed Rail Covers

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed The Faded Out Plastic Bed Rail Covers

Hey Fella's,

I noticed a while back there was a thread or two about the plastic trim pieces that are on the bedrails of these 04+ f150's and how a ton of people were having issues with them fading out and becoming real dingy looking. I was in the same boat, mine were getting so bad that they were almost ash/grey colored, and looked God Awfull..... that is the onlything I can gripe about with my truck.
I have tried Back to Black, Armour All, Tire Foams, and numerous other brands of spray on type silicone. I finally had the idea to use this BlackMagic Tire Gel.... I applied a prretty generous amount, but not enough to allow it to run down the sides. I left it real thick for an entire day, Then I used a towel and just wiped off the x-tra and kind of buffed it for a few min's. It's been about 3 weeks and I havent done anything more than just take a rag and wipe them down every few days to get the dirt/grime off and they still look BRAND NEW!
HOWEVER..... It did rain (like usual) the following day aftrer I applied this stuff to the rails, and some of it did run down the side of the truck. I had to re-detail the sides of the bed to clean off the streaks. (Small price to pay in my opinion to get those nasty plastic pieces looking new again) It's been about 3 weeks now and the results are still fantastic, and I havent even reapplied anything to them. For now Im happy, and just figure'd I'd post it up, in this section since it seems to be mainly the 04+ trucks that everyone was complaining about.

I wish I had taken some before and after pics.... but didnt have to much hope this stuff would do any good either!!

Tom

Last edited by Racing2Fast; 06-20-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Hey bud,

Send me some more pics of your truck....

I had my truck detailed(the last time I go there) and the retards got wax on the bed rails and it had this ugly white crap start appearing... I got it under control... have to go look at the bottle of stuff i used... and its holding up great too

Old 06-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing2Fast
Hey Fella's,

I noticed a while back there was a thread or two about the plastic trim pieces that are on the bedrails of these 04+ f150's and how a ton of people were having issues with them fading out and becoming real dingy looking. I was in the same boat, mine were getting so bad that they were almost ash/grey colored, and looked God Awfull..... that is the onlything I can gripe about with my truck.
I have tried Back to Black, Armour All, Tire Foams, and numerous other brands of spray on type silicone. I finally had the idea to use this BlackMagic Tire Gel.... I applied a prretty generous amount, but not enough to allow it to run down the sides. I left it real thick for an entire day, Then I used a towel and just wiped off the x-tra and kind of buffed it for a few min's. It's been about 3 weeks and I havent done anything more than just take a rag and wipe them down every few days to get the dirt/grime off and they still look BRAND NEW!
HOWEVER..... It did rain (like usual) the following day aftrer I applied this stuff to the rails, and some of it did run down the side of the truck. I had to re-detail the sides of the bed to clean off the streaks. (Small price to pay in my opinion to get those nasty plastic pieces looking new again) It's been about 3 weeks now and the results are still fantastic, and I havent even reapplied anything to them. For now Im happy, and just figure'd I'd post it up, in this section since it seems to be mainly the 04+ trucks that everyone was complaining about.

I wish I had taken some before and after pics.... but didnt have to much hope this stuff would do any good either!!

Tom

No offense :

Am I missing something? Why don’t you just paint them? Krylon even. Cheap and won’t run down the sides after a rain….

Again, I must be missing something here since I’ve seen others post about the same problem.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
No offense :

Am I missing something? Why don’t you just paint them? Krylon even. Cheap and won’t run down the sides after a rain….

Again, I must be missing something here since I’ve seen others post about the same problem.

Not 100% certain on how well the paint will hold up over time, I figured it would be more work in the long run.... How did you paint your's, pending on how well/long this stuff last before they go back to faded and dingy I may paint the next time.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Seems to me that paint would be more likely to flake off where this would soak in?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How did you paint your's, pending on how well/long this stuff last before they go back to faded and dingy I may paint the next time.

My truck is an 06 and garage kept, so I doubt I may experience fading, but if I did I would probably remove them and have them painted.

BTW, any1 ever look into the price for replacements?

Old 06-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not 100% certain on how well the paint will hold up over time.
I repainted mine 3 months ago with Krylon fusion gloss black. Still looks
Perfect like when I painted them.

Old 06-20-2007, 02:55 PM
My dad just spray painted his with some special paint for trim parts (I think its made by dupli-color, if anyone is interested I will get the brand for you)it looks awesome and does not look like it will chip off. Those parts get so dry that they just absorb the paint. Black magic and armoral are great for a few days, then it usually starts to look like crap again.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:50 PM
I just have to suggest one product that will fix all of your black plastic fading issues...yeah Theobald even your wax issue....Mothers Back to Black

By far the best product on the market for this kinda stuff....I would say its a god send!

http://www.autogeek.net/motbactrimca.html

Old 06-20-2007, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by YellowFX4-WV
I just have to suggest one product that will fix all of your black plastic fading issues...yeah Theobald even your wax issue....Mothers Back to Black

By far the best product on the market for this kinda stuff....I would say its a god send!

This is what I use. Works just fine for me...

Old 06-20-2007, 04:25 PM
That stuff is OK but I wasn't really impressed so after some suggestions by others in the detail forum i went with this stuff called Black Again.

http://www.autogeek.net/blackagain1.html

I'll post it in the detail forum when it gets here.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have a bottle of Back to Black I am throwing away. After about 10 days, the stuff turned white in the textured finish of the rails. Looked like crap, had to use steel wool to get it out.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:52 PM
I have yet to have an issue out of Back to Black. Knock on wood....

I guess you got a bad batch or didn't shake it up first...haha

Old 06-20-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by YellowFX4-WV

I have the Mothers Back to Black, and it didnt make a dent on this plastic. I agree it is a great product....I have used it on other things in the past. Seem's like every "spray" product I used would just stay on the surface, and bead up, and roll off, I could wipe it on several different times and no "real" difference.
Since I used the BlackMagic, 3 weeks ago, the trim has kept a nice slightly glossy, smooth look. Im sold....(for now)

Last edited by Racing2Fast; 06-20-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
No offense :

Your Missing, My personal invite for you to chime in on "MY" thread!! J/K

Quick Reply: Fixed The Faded Out Plastic Bed Rail Covers