2004 - 2008 F-150

About to Join the supercharged club, have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to Join the supercharged club, have some questions

hey guys haven't posted in a while but im back with a big mod. i found a heck of a deal on a roush intercooled blower. i was wondering, i live in california and on the roush site it says not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. does that mean i will have to take it off every 5 yrs for smog? also im adding a gauge pod and its holds two gauges. one is gonna be boost but what should my other one be? im leaning toward trans temp. thanks guys

Old 06-13-2007, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you're looking for gauges get a set of gauges that warn you when it gets to a certain temp...or get the Edge which will do this for you and more (1/4 mi, 0-60, etc). Gauge pods will look better but the edge still looks great. Good luck with your choice and how much are you getting the intercooled blower for?

Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
If you're looking for gauges get a set of gauges that warn you when it gets to a certain temp...or get the Edge which will do this for you and more (1/4 mi, 0-60, etc). Gauge pods will look better but the edge still looks great. Good luck with your choice and how much are you getting the intercooled blower for?
the edge will still work with the supercharger? i thought it wouldnt work but if it does ill just go with that. ill still need a boost gauge though. im getting the roush for 4500 out the door from a local dealer. i know its not a huge discount but its better than 5800 before shipping or even 5200.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Suspended
You will need to remove it for your first smog which is 6 years from date of purchase, and then every 2 years there after. Kind of sucks, but I guess you have to pay to play.

On the bright side I bet you will get good at installing and removing intercooled Roushchargers!

Old 06-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
You will need to remove it for your first smog which is 6 years from date of purchase, and then every 2 years there after. Kind of sucks, but I guess you have to pay to play.

On the bright side I bet you will get good at installing and removing intercooled Roushchargers!
haha yea thats true. hmm but what about the programming since you have to send your pcm to roush thats my only worry

Old 06-14-2007, 08:05 PM
Powerworks is smog legal

Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 PM
wow removing a s/c and returning it to stock, and then reinstalling the s/c every 2 years sounds insane to me! is a little more complicated than removing a couple bolts. not to mention the stress on the hardware of being torqued down and loosened several times... there are also wires that have to be cut and spliced... as well as having to get the computer retuned twice...

now if its gonna be another 4-5 years before you have to do it for the first time, then maybe by that point you will be looking to get a new vehicle or something.

but if you are planning on keeping it for a long time, then maybe you should look at building some serious N/A power. have the engine rebuilt with forged internals, cams, head job etc. if you do it right you could probably make almost as much power as a blower. either that or move to a new state LOL.

either way, good luck and i hope to see your truck with more power soon

Old 06-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Smok][n
wow removing a s/c and returning it to stock, and then reinstalling the s/c every 2 years sounds insane to me! is a little more complicated than removing a couple bolts. not to mention the stress on the hardware of being torqued down and loosened several times... there are also wires that have to be cut and spliced... as well as having to get the computer retuned twice...

now if its gonna be another 4-5 years before you have to do it for the first time, then maybe by that point you will be looking to get a new vehicle or something.

but if you are planning on keeping it for a long time, then maybe you should look at building some serious N/A power. have the engine rebuilt with forged internals, cams, head job etc. if you do it right you could probably make almost as much power as a blower. either that or move to a new state LOL.

either way, good luck and i hope to see your truck with more power soon
man california sucks just for this reason

Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 PM
i think Whipple and magna are Cali legal

Old 06-14-2007, 09:53 PM
yeah i hate to say it but i think you should consider a different blower...

Old 06-14-2007, 09:55 PM
yea as much as i dont want to. but i cant get a good price on the other ones

Old 06-15-2007, 01:16 AM
$4500 is a good deal but i dont know if saving a grand is worth the trouble you may have to go through...

and just out of curiosity, what is it about the roush that would make it fail emissions in CA?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Originally Posted by Smok][n
$4500 is a good deal but i dont know if saving a grand is worth the trouble you may have to go through...
and just out of curiosity, what is it about the roush that would make it fail emissions in CA?
But $3500 used is a great deal

Carb certification was pending last year and approval was to take place by summer 2006.

Last edited by anaheim_drew; 06-15-2007 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Your first smog check is due 5 years after you purchased the vehicle (if you bought it new), and every 2 years thereafter. What I would do is register the truck in a county that doesn't have such stringent emissions laws. For instance, my friend owns an older Oldsmobile with a 455 which is in no way legal, smog or otherwise. He registered it in another county by way of a PO Box when we were in high school, and never had to smog it. That, or just take it off every couple years.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:51 PM
The roush is carb certified so if someone in Ca. is looking for one let me know.

Quick Reply: About to Join the supercharged club, have some questions