2004 - 2008 F-150

dual 57mm throttlebody adapter for 5.4 3v

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual 57mm throttlebody adapter for 5.4 3v

i got no hits on the last thread, so obviously i need to rephrase things.

you guys that want to exceed 280 rwhp need to remove your 75mm throttle body , remove the lower cover and port the intake to accept one of these. use a throttle body from a 2005+ mustang GT. you get the idea. it won't take a lot of time and you will not lose low end torque. dyno is set up for August.

here are the pics of the upper intake and modified lightning TB. i had to adapt(weld) my bell crank from the 4.6 TB so my cable will operate it. the rest is stainless sheet. it's just tacked. the finished piece will look more refined. -bill the final dimension for the intake inlet are 3 1/4" x 3 1/8" for an average of 80.1 mm. up from the factory 75. obviously this TB will flow more than the stock 75mm. and it's low profile so i still keep my factory hood fitment. i used 3" flappers wheels and a lot of work.

BTW the TB is modified also. smoothing of surfaces.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:19 PM
Old 06-09-2007, 01:11 AM
Cool

Old 06-09-2007, 10:14 AM
the limit that ford built into these manifolds is the inlet is 75mm. all they had to do to inprove power was to increase the inlet to 80+mm. aussies say they get to 325rwhp with manual transmissions. their manifold handles 80mm. those of us that are willing to do a little work can get that airflow. it won't require special stuff. just remove the cover on the manifold, port the inlet to as large as possible, and glue the cover back on.

dyno sims suggest that 20hp can be gained by increasing large enough to flow 833 cfm. i will verify this summer. of course mt powerband will be different because my runners are 11" as apposed to 15" on a stocker. i am going to port the stock manifold i have and leave the rest of it alone. if it works as planned we might be able to keep all of that low end (340 rwtq @ 3650) and still gain top end.

i almost chopped up the stock one i have, but now i'm just going to port the inlet and reinstall it probably by november.

one thing about these motors is the torque they make exceeds 410 lb-ft at the flywheel. with bolt-ons. 340 rwtq = 410 flywheel torque in an auto.

the caddy 6.0l makes 325rwtq. it has IRS losses that IMO equal your 4x4 losses. 6.0l =400 flywheeltq.

Old 06-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Am I the only one that likes this?

Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 AM
i don't think others get it.

any one of you can purchase stainless sheet. cut it. i will give the dimensions. get it welded if you can't. add a 4.6 3v throttle body. adapter for the throttle body to your existing CAI. port your intake. and enjoy extra power.

it requires a little work. instead of complaining about how little power we have. throw in stage 1 or 2 comp cams for added benefit.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:01 PM
Won't this throw codes for leaning out? I'm really curious to see this work.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:18 PM
no codes. there isn't any leanout with ford pcm's. your maf reads airflow and sets mixture. adding a smaller or larger TB just changes volume.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
and the bigger MAF won't truly do you anything unless you've got a tune to take advantage of it. if the Aussie trucks have a bigger MAF, why not just order one of them and the intake if necessary?

seems a lot of work for what is really very little gain

Old 06-09-2007, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20rwhp is a huge gain. I understand the jist of the mod and appreciate assassinator taking his time to share this with us. Now as for the lean condition, a 3.5" intake causes a lean CEL trip and this won't?

Assassinator, can we see your adaptor for your intake? Also, what does porting the intake run? Is there anyway I can do it myself with a dremel or does it need to be a very precise porting.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:16 PM

I do appreciate Assasinator and his experiment, but claiming 20 rwhp with a thrown together throttle body and some upper intake porting is kinda ridiculous. now if we're talking about lower intake porting to the heads, and exhaust porting...I'll give that a chance.

the other issue is that this is borderline expert level craftsmanship to make this mod work. cool, but unatainable to most people. if Assasinator can make this work and prove with dyno runs...well I'd be willing to buy it from him after R&D is done and the mod is proven safe...btw, how did you get the mustang throttle body to connect to the F-150 PCM? are they the same wires?

porting is easy. take some ink and cover 1 side of the intake with it. then place it on the head and tighten a few bolts down. unbolt it and remove the intake. the ink should transfer to the heads. you then remove the metal that is not ink stained using a dremal and lots of time. these little sections of metal are protuding into the air/fuel mix and cause turbulance and slow things down. remove them, and pick up some HP.

another method is to take your gasket and make the metal fit the shape of the gasket on the intake and the head side. just make sure to buy a good quality gasket so you have the proper shape.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:19 PM
i'm not selling anything make it yourselves is all i'm after.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:21 PM

ok...but if it works, and you already have the know how, why not? little things like this are how people get started.

can't wait to see your dyno #'s.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:21 PM
20hp? that's a sim. the dyno will be in august. run any dyno you want. heck go to the aussie 5.4 3v site fordforums.com . there are plenty of dynos for the 80mm throttle body in there. it's the same thing. just our intakes won't accept the 80mm unit. so i made mine to do it.

Old 06-09-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
20rwhp is a huge gain. I understand the jist of the mod and appreciate assassinator taking his time to share this with us. Now as for the lean condition, a 3.5" intake causes a lean CEL trip and this won't?

Assassinator, can we see your adaptor for your intake? Also, what does porting the intake run? Is there anyway I can do it myself with a dremel or does it need to be a very precise porting.

you get a lean CEL trip from allowing more air for the MAF sensors transfer function. tuning fixes that.

this is a different animal. you will need that 3.5" intake to take advantage. the throttle body doesn't care or cause a MAF to read wrong. this is no different that a 4.6 2v adding a 75mm unit from the stock 65mm.

i am not using a 5.4 3v PCM. that's why you need a 4.6 3v throttle body.

porting the intake requires a drill. 3" flapper sanding wheels about 10 of them.

removing the intake manifold's lower cover and reglueing it after finished.

porting areas with material and smoothing. nothing else. all i am peddling is more air.

from 650-700 cfm to 833 cfm.

aussies with the 5.4 3v don't have our 280rwhp limit for that reason. they bolt on an 80mm unit we can't. so i figured and experimented my way to here. this is the final prototype. and i'm satisfied it will work.

i'll post final pics when i cut the lower hole and shape it to fit up with the intake. maybe in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: dual 57mm throttlebody adapter for 5.4 3v