2004 - 2008 F-150

Fuel Pump Issue-'07 only?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pump Issue-'07 only?

My problem is on my '07 as soon as the fuel gets low enough for the "low fuel" light to come on. At this point anytime I go WOT in the upper rpm's it will hit a wall like it has a fuel shut off. It has done this since day 1 and I dont really ever let the fuel drop that low but it does happen. Since the blower install I have made sure I avoid this since a lean condition could be a disaster but today I completely forgot about it and the light had been on for literally 2 miles and it did the same thing. Luckily nothing happened and I do have a fuel pressure gauge but was not looking at it at the time and I am too scared to reproduce it again. This might not be strictly pertaining to just '07's but I have never heard of this before and couldnt locate anything on here by searching so I figured either this is an isolated incident or a problem only on newer trucks. Obviously the dealer is not going to want to touch this but my brother in law works there so I could get this fixed under warranty if need be but what should I be looking for? Any ideas?

Old 04-05-2007, 04:51 PM
No problem with the Truck.

What you have is a Big gas tank... with no gas in it. Go to WOT and what little gas you have... rushes to the back of the tank.. where there is no Fuel pickup and WALA.. you run lean!

Chris

Old 04-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by sweetsc

What you have is a Big gas tank... with no gas in it. Go to WOT and what little gas you have... rushes to the back of the tank.. where there is no Fuel pickup and WALA.. you run lean!

Chris

Ditto what Chris said.
I had it happen with my Lightning when coming off the starting line.
Scared the s-it out of me .

Old 04-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by sweetsc

Chris
Yep.. My 05 did it as well.. I never let it get that low anymore, or I don't go WOT.

Old 04-05-2007, 05:51 PM
I can understand what your are saying but that is not the case since I have driven 2 other '04+ running on fumes and neither one did this. It will not do this 1 mile before the light comes on but will 1 mile after which leads me to believe that it is something mechanical/ electrical that the truck is controlling.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Anytime you're under 1/4 tank and go WOT your truck puts itself in "Protection Mode" to protect it from your lead foot.

Edit: That's what I was told.

Last edited by FoMoCoFan17; 04-05-2007 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by FoMoCoFan17
Anytime you're under 1/4 tank and go WOT your truck puts itself in "Protection Mode" to protect it from your lead foot.

hmm never heard that and I would think if this was the case then it would be consistent with other trucks which I have found it not to be. Also I have never seen or heard of this on any other car or truck no matter what the gas tank layout.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by FoMoCoFan17

What he said. Happened to me as well.....I simply don't WOT with a low fuel level.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:41 PM
mine does this too, ever since i drove it off the lot. i too have just learned not to go WOT under 1/4 tank...

but to me this seems kind of stupid if its SUPPOSED to do this. i can understand if the fuel gets REALLY low, but mine will start doing this well before the low fuel light comes on...

is it possible that this could be an issue with improperly placed fuel lines?

Last edited by Smok][n; 04-05-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Suspended
LOL!

What do you expect? Why would you try to WOT with the low fuel light on anyways? Every vehicle I've ever seen does this. .

Old 04-06-2007, 12:27 AM
no im saying it does it way before the low fuel light comes on... at least on my truck anyway

this si the 1st vehicle ive ever driven that did this... my '01 f150 and our '02 f350 and our '95 f150 dont do it. i could run them all WOT till the tanks were almost bone dry and it would not do this.

im not saying you should run around WOT with low fuel, but i really dont think what my truck does is correct. its not enough of a pronblem that i want to get it fixed, but its worth mentioning

Last edited by Smok][n; 04-06-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:01 AM
okay what is WOT??

Old 04-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Wide Open Throttle.......Steppin on the go pedal. I never really noticed it till I got my S/C because of the high pressures it ran through the stock injectors (75psi). But I could be below 1/4 and it would do it. My car does this too ever since I have installed a walbro 255lph, I can't get below 1/3 and turn to the right very hard or it will drop the pressure way back.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:22 AM
I have already taught myself not to do anything with low fuel but theres always that chance that you will forget. Now I know that its "supposed" to do this but I think its pretty retarded when theres still about 7 gallons of fuel left ( 1/4 tank). I dont know what you guys are saying about this happens on every car you have ever had because I have never driven a car that did this and I am on my 6th Ford. What would happen if you needed to go WOT in an emergency? It just cuts out and your screwed. In my opinion Ford did not really think this through and at the very least should warn you about this in the manual or something.

Oh and P.S. this has nothing to do with the fuel rushing to the back of the tank because this happened to me on a dyno when I was still n/a-Again right at 1/4 tank which should have been plenty for a couple pulls.

Old 04-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Exactly like you described above happend to me yesterday. I've been cruizing around on very little gas so I can go bracket racing tonight... I was a little late going to work so I punched it and "WAAAAAAAA... bluh bluh bluh" Revved up real high and then was fuel starved. Right after that, the low fuel light came on.

Completly normal. Don't WOT below 1/8 tank. If your truck had 1/4 tank and it did that...... I'd have to see it to believe it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Issue-'07 only?