2004 - 2008 F-150

Ford's recommended oil change interval

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford's recommended oil change interval

Need an oil change? Ford says wait every 7,500 miles

March 22, 2007
DETROIT - Most major automakers agree: The adage that you should change your car's oil every 3,000 miles is outdated, and even 5,000 miles may be too often.
Ford Motor Co. became the latest manufacturer to extend its oil life guidelines, raising the recommended oil change interval from 5,000 miles to 7,500 on its redesigned 2007 models and all subsequent redesigned or new models.

The company said that higher oil quality standards and new engine designs were responsible for the change, which affects vehicles driven under normal conditions.

"The oils have advanced a lot since the days when 3,000 miles were the typical oil drains," said Dennis Bachelder, senior engineer for the American Petroleum Institute, an industry organization that sets quality standards.

These days, motor oils start with a higher-quality base oil than in the past, and they have more antioxidants that make lubricating properties last longer and other additives that keep deposits from forming on engines, Bachelder said.

Pete Misangyi, Ford's supervisor of fuel lubricants, said the company conducted numerous fleet tests before it raised the interval.

Some manufacturers have stopped making recommendations on their models, instead relying on sensors to tell drivers when to get the lubricant changed.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i use synthetic blend and my dealer recommends every 5kmi

Old 03-23-2007, 11:15 AM
My BMW m3 states I should go to 15k miles Yeah right!

Doug

Old 03-23-2007, 12:46 PM
If you're using fully synthetic and changing your oil ever 3K, than, IMHO, that's overkill.

Going between 5K-7K intervals on fully synthetic is perfect. Sure, your driving environment and conditions does make a difference to some degree, but for the most part, 5K-7K intervals with fully synthetic is ideal.

The article in the opening post does make a lot of sense.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:05 PM
I have used Motorcraft oil and filters for years without any issues at all. Just read the owner's manual for the recommended intervals, and no problems. I am following the 5K intervals for my 05. Today's oils (and some filters) are just not that different with all providing above required protection levels. IMO, instead of throwing away money on expensive oils/filters, I prefer to pocket it. One thing about using the recommended stuff is that there are no warranty issues down the road if I ever need it.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:51 PM
I had an Audi that they recomended every 10k I thought the Germans were nuts...

Old 03-24-2007, 12:03 AM
As a rule of thumb, I go 5k miles with synthetic oil in all of my vehicles...I change oil at 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, etc...

Old 03-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Originally Posted by osbornk
Need an oil change? Ford says wait every 7,500 miles

March 22, 2007
DETROIT - Most major automakers agree: The adage that you should change your car's oil every 3,000 miles is outdated, and even 5,000 miles may be too often.
Ford Motor Co. became the latest manufacturer to extend its oil life guidelines, raising the recommended oil change interval from 5,000 miles to 7,500 on its redesigned 2007 models and all subsequent redesigned or new models.

The company said that higher oil quality standards and new engine designs were responsible for the change, which affects vehicles driven under normal conditions.

"The oils have advanced a lot since the days when 3,000 miles were the typical oil drains," said Dennis Bachelder, senior engineer for the American Petroleum Institute, an industry organization that sets quality standards.

These days, motor oils start with a higher-quality base oil than in the past, and they have more antioxidants that make lubricating properties last longer and other additives that keep deposits from forming on engines, Bachelder said.

Pete Misangyi, Ford's supervisor of fuel lubricants, said the company conducted numerous fleet tests before it raised the interval.

Some manufacturers have stopped making recommendations on their models, instead relying on sensors to tell drivers when to get the lubricant changed.
Extended change intervals are for NORMAL driving conditions. At least 95% of the vehicles on the road fall under SEVERE driving conditions, which would still require oil change intervals of 3-5000 miles.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:42 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Extended change intervals are for NORMAL driving conditions. At least 95% of the vehicles on the road fall under SEVERE driving conditions, which would still require oil change intervals of 3-5000 miles.
Yup - X2 ^^^

I don't know anyone who's normal. lol

This is CYA...for TCO...

What's interesting is the assertion that oils are getting better, which is in contradiction to what is being revealed in recent synthetic / oil threads elsewhere on this site.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Sounds like another classic brain-washing from the dealer's service departments...

Taken verbatim from the Scheduled Maintenance Guide:

Special Operating Conditions are defined as operating your vehicle primarily (and yes, it's bold in the guide as well) in one or more of the following conditions:
  • Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier.
  • Extensive idling and/or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, patrol car or livery. (notice it does NOT mention moderate traffic)
  • Operating in dusty conditions such as unpaved or dusty roads.

My dealer always tries to tell me that anyone who drives in southern California is classified as "Severe Operating Conditions". I say "show me". The only remotely close item that could classify me as "severe" operating is the extensive idling. I sit through about 15 minutes of traffic per day (out of a 45-minute commute). I drive ~17,000 miles per year. So I don't think that 15 minutes per day is considered "primarily".

While there are no doubt some who do in-fact fall under the "severe" category, I'd venture to say that it's FAR from "at least 95% of all vehicles". It seems like too many people just accept whatever people tell them, without solid and current data to back it up. Some grease monkey says I have to change my oil every 3000 miles; well he MUST be right, he's the expert (making $9/hr). Forget what the actual MANUFACTURER says about it!

Last edited by bamorris2; 03-24-2007 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally Posted by osbornk
raising the recommended oil change interval from 5,000 miles to 7,500 on its redesigned 2007 models and all subsequent redesigned or new models.
READ the details here. They are NOT refering to our trucks.

For obvious reasons, dealers claim that we should follow severe service frequencies. It's potentially more money for them. However, I would guess, most manufacturer's don't agree with that claim. They would prefer you follow the normal frequency with hopes the vehicle comes into replacement sooner.

Personally, I still change at 3000. Oil from my 5000 mile 07 looks awefully dark and dirty after only 3000 miles.

Some say, your wasting your time and money changing oil at 3000 vs 5000 miles. If you look at it over the life of the truck, say 100000 miles. Thats 33 vs 20 oil changes. Or another 6.7 hours, assuming you can change your oil in 30 minutes. Or $333, if the filter is 4 bucks and the oil is 3 bucks. If 15000 miles is still the average annual distance driven by most owners, all this is over 6.7 years.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-24-2007, 08:16 AM
Most dealers and lube shops will say 3 months. That's what the dealer wrote on the service sticker on the new truck. In 3 months I'll be right at 1800 miles.......
It's obviously about them making money. But if I don't do what they say and there's a problem with the engine, then I'm kinda screwed on the warranty. The wife's G6 computer says the oil life is still at 50%+ at 3000 miles, but I change it anyway for the same reason.

Old 03-24-2007, 10:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by svt2205
Some say, your wasting your time and money changing oil at 3000 vs 5000 miles. If you look at it over the life of the truck, say 100000 miles. Thats 33 vs 20 oil changes. Or another 6.7 hours, assuming you can change your oil in 30 minutes. Or $333, if the filter is 4 bucks and the oil is 3 bucks. If 15000 miles is still the average annual distance driven by most owners, all this is over 6.7 years. Just my 2 cents.
100,000 is closer to the half life of a truck rather than the life of a truck. If you change the oil per the manufacturer's recommendations, the engine will outlast usually outlast the rest of the truck. I've yet to find one person who has had an oil related failure if they followed the recommended oil change interval and maintained the oil level. Not only are you wasting your money, you're wasting natural resources and adding to our trash and pollution.

The dealer wants you to come in for an oil change every 3,000 miles or 3 months for reasons other than just changing your oil. They want you in there to sell you other stuff you don't need and to get you in the showroom to give you "the itch" while your oil is being changed.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:09 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Looks like there is another marketing scheme going around....

The way I look at it: If you plan on keeping your vehicle for 100k, then do the 5k to 7.5k miles oil changes. If you plan on keeping your vehicle for over 100k, then I'd suggest doing the original 3k increments.

To me, it looks like the auto industry wants us consumers to kill our engines then buy another vehicle so they can make 2x the profit in less time.

I could be wrong... but that surely the way it looks. Just like with Ford's transmission flush intervals... I would be damned if I followed their 150k guideline to flush the automatic transmission. It would be dead by then. Anyways, what? People can't afford the extra insurance of oil changes? Next thing they will be telling us is that we don't have to change our oil but every 30k miles.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by bamorris2
Sounds like another classic brain-washing from the dealer's service departments...

Taken verbatim from the Scheduled Maintenance Guide:

Special Operating Conditions are defined as operating your vehicle primarily (and yes, it's bold in the guide as well) in one or more of the following conditions:
  • Towing a trailer or using a camper or car-top carrier.
  • Extensive idling and/or low-speed driving for long distances as in heavy commercial use such as delivery, taxi, patrol car or livery. (notice it does NOT mention moderate traffic)
  • Operating in dusty conditions such as unpaved or dusty roads.

My dealer always tries to tell me that anyone who drives in southern California is classified as "Severe Operating Conditions". I say "show me". The only remotely close item that could classify me as "severe" operating is the extensive idling. I sit through about 15 minutes of traffic per day (out of a 45-minute commute). I drive ~17,000 miles per year. So I don't think that 15 minutes per day is considered "primarily".

While there are no doubt some who do in-fact fall under the "severe" category, I'd venture to say that it's FAR from "at least 95% of all vehicles". It seems like too many people just accept whatever people tell them, without solid and current data to back it up. Some grease monkey says I have to change my oil every 3000 miles; well he MUST be right, he's the expert (making $9/hr). Forget what the actual MANUFACTURER says about it!
No brain washing here, but if you really think your vehicle doesn't fall under "severe" service you need to take a closer look at your driving habits.

Quick Reply: Ford's recommended oil change interval