2004 - 2008 F-150

I need tranny help, please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I need tranny help, please!

I've already posted this on the transmission board, but this one moves a lot faster and you guys seem pretty damn knowledgable.

I have an 05 F150 FX4 Supercrew automatic. I got it brand new with 36 miles on it. About a month after I brought it home, the gears between first and second would slip every so often. What I mean by that is that it would reach the point of first gear to where it wants to shift to second. Instead of doing it instantly, there's a period where it feels like the automatic clutch holds on for too long and the abruptly pops into second gear. It usually makes a loud thud and is very noticable.

I took it in under warranty and they had to replace the transmition. They said that the "overdrive band shreaded up in the transmission". I have no idea what that means, but I assumed the fixed the problem by replacing the transmission. It had about 2,000 miles on it at the time.

Everything was going fine for a few more months, but it suddenly started happening again. It was less frequent that the original problem, but it was the exact same issue nonetheless. I took it back in under warranty again and they told me "they could not reproduce the problem" so they wont even look into the issue...

It still keeps happening to this day and I make the serivce guys look into it every time I get my truck serviced. Everytime they tell me the exact same thing; they can't duplicate the problem. I have no idea what to do at this point. Part of my wants to ruin my tranny somehow so they have to replace it again before I go out of warranty, but another part of me is saying that the tranny might not be the only issue...

Anyone have or heard of this problem? Any solutions that come to mind? I'm very desperate at this point. I love my truck, but hate it's single quirk...

Old 03-19-2007, 11:33 AM
1. Take them for a drive and point out the problem
or
2. Find another dealer that is willing to work with you

Old 03-19-2007, 11:40 AM
I've tried that. I was driving one of the technicians around and about five minutes into the drive, they guy told me that he only gets paid if he's working on vehicles and he's got better things to do than ride around with me. I complained to the service manager and she just explained that they are paid on a finished-job only and that there's a lot of work to be done. Ever since then, I just don't feel like battling with them since I'm not going to win. That's why I'm asking for help.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnszac
I've tried that. I was driving one of the technicians around and about five minutes into the drive, they guy told me that he only gets paid if he's working on vehicles and he's got better things to do than ride around with me. I complained to the service manager and she just explained that they are paid on a finished-job only and that there's a lot of work to be done. Ever since then, I just don't feel like battling with them since I'm not going to win. That's why I'm asking for help.
You have to find another dealer. And a conversation with FoMoCo's Custumer service wouldn't hurt either.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Droog
You have to find another dealer. And a conversation with FoMoCo's Custumer service wouldn't hurt either.

Best adivice so far in this thread. .

Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
Looks like option 2 then. I have had a Ford tech ride around with me for 20 minutes before I was able to reproduce my issue that they couldn't. He never complained and once he heard the noise I ended up getting a new transfer case and new rear axle seals. Find someone that will work with you.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:59 PM
My tranny went out in my truck this weekend and I just took it down to the dealer and walked in and dropped it off, they gave me a rental car and said that they would fix it. They told me to call them tommorrow evening and they would let me know exactly what was wrong and when it would be done. I have to say that I was very impressed with my dealership on this.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ferguson41
My tranny went out in my truck this weekend and I just took it down to the dealer and walked in and dropped it off, they gave me a rental car and said that they would fix it. They told me to call them tommorrow evening and they would let me know exactly what was wrong and when it would be done. I have to say that I was very impressed with my dealership on this.
And you will probably go back to them to buy your next vehicle correct? It baffles me to see so many businesses that don't seem to think it's worth their time and money to give decent customer service.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by johnszac
You have to be kidding me...I would have put that SOB out some where down the road and let him walk his *** back to the shop.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
You have to be kidding me...I would have put that SOB out some where down the road and let him walk his *** back to the shop.

Nice....

Old 03-19-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't have anything positive to add to this considering I just paid 3200 for a new transmission on an 05' with about 72k on it. The tranny just quit working in reverse. No big deal as long as you always park being able to drive straight. On the plus side the new tranny has 3yrs and 75k warranty on it. That one hurt though know guys that have 100+ on the factory tranny. luck of the draw I guess?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally Posted by Thrill Racing
I don't have anything positive to add to this considering I just paid 3200 for a new transmission on an 05' with about 72k on it. The tranny just quit working in reverse. No big deal as long as you always park being able to drive straight. On the plus side the new tranny has 3yrs and 75k warranty on it. That one hurt though know guys that have 100+ on the factory tranny. luck of the draw I guess?
39k on my tranny before it needed $2200 in work. my truck isnt stock, but this IS a truck and these transmissions SHOULD be able to take it.

sorry, saw a transmission thread and saw an excuse to vent again. ive had nothing but trouble with dealers. i think customer service is a thing of the past. i own my own business, and if i treated customers that way, i would be broke. customer loyalty only goes so far...

Old 03-20-2007, 01:00 AM
It's prob. not what you're looking for, but do you have a tuner? Mine used to act strange sporadically until I got my tuner, now it shifts better. And the added HP is nice too.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:29 AM
Originally Posted by xlint1
It's prob. not what you're looking for, but do you have a tuner? Mine used to act strange sporadically until I got my tuner, now it shifts better. And the added HP is nice too.
you'll have to fogive me, but I don't know what a tuner is. Like a chip-set? Don't those void warranties or is that a wife's tale?

Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by Thrill Racing
I looked up my vehicle info and it was manufactured on a Friday. I heard there was a study out there that showed that a large percentage of lemons were manufactured on Fridays. Something to do with short-timers and people rushing through the work...

Quick Reply: I need tranny help, please!